Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

stellarfun

Reaction score
Effectively they are -- as in room service and catering from the hotel kitchen and staff.

That is part of the draw of these hotel/condo combinations, luxury hotel services throughout the building.

^^^This is the kitchen at a Four Seasons two bedroom condo in Miami.

^^^This is the floorplan for a 2,200 sq ft condo in a Four Seasons Residences Condo in Fort Lauderdale.
The kitchen is not much bigger than a galley kitchen on a yacht.

kmp1284

Reaction score
Another hiccup of note .... Carpenter & Co. has been slapped with a $250k lien by the architectural millwork sub.

Also seems like closings have slowed considerably. Only two so far in February where previous months have seen ten to fifteen spread evenly throughout the month.

chrisbrat

Reaction score
big shock. i wouldn't drop a few million to buy a condo in a place with plywood windows either.

stefal

Reaction score
Thie delay certainly does not look good.

I suspect there is an argument underway about who is paying for the replacement panels (much more costly in small quantity, plus installation), with lots of finger pointing among all the involved parties.
Were they broken on-site by mishandling?
Were they broken in transit due to mishandling?
Was there a manufacturing or design flaw, caused by sub a, or sub b, or sub c, or sub d...?

Probably the only winners will be the lawyers.
Yeah, lawyers will likely take a shotgun approach to this and sue anybody on anybody's behalf. Whoever wins, wins; whoever loses, loses.

cjbski

Reaction score
More glass went in yesterday. One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates. Caulk takes 21 days to settle which is why you see the silver clamps for an extended period after the install. Hoist takes 45 mins-1 hr. to lower from the roof and then re-raise which makes the process take forever.

Could be another month and a half or so to finish the glass if weather cooperates.

whighlander

Reaction score
More glass went in yesterday. One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates. Caulk takes 21 days to settle which is why you see the silver clamps for an extended period after the install. Hoist takes 45 mins-1 hr. to lower from the roof and then re-raise which makes the process take forever.

Could be another month and a half or so to finish the glass if weather cooperates.
Cjbski -- they've got the time -- no hurry.

As long as they keep selling the condos -- Well no one is about to challenge their Residential Supremacy for quite a while

The closest to a true challenge to 1 Dalton -- would have to be Raffles because of the hotel service. Beyond that you have to imagine either something done with the Top of the Pru as an Uber Penthouse, or down the road -- perhaps a tower on the Hynes footprint with some other uber-lux hotel under Uber Penthouses

shawn

Reaction score

This really cool, specific info is one of the reasons I come here, thanks for sharing! There's so much about architecture and construction that an armchair critic like myself doesn't know, and doesn't even know that he doesn't know until learning about it on AB.

Neon

Reaction score

I took this close up of this caulking/clamping [ process on February 21st.
9581C2EF-FDA2-462C-A531-C0876640000A.jpeg

Vivanna

Reaction score
Cjbski -- they've got the time -- no hurry.

As long as they keep selling the condos -- Well no one is about to challenge their Residential Supremacy for quite a while

The closest to a true challenge to 1 Dalton -- would have to be Raffles because of the hotel service. Beyond that you have to imagine either something done with the Top of the Pru as an Uber Penthouse, or down the road -- perhaps a tower on the Hynes footprint with some other uber-lux hotel under Uber Penthouses
I would say the biggest competitor to One Dalton is the St. Regis Residences, but time wise you are right, probably 18 months away... and Raffles is probably 24 months away. After that, there's currently very little competition in sight for these three, for 5 star ultra luxury residences.

whighlander

Reaction score
I would say the biggest competitor to One Dalton is the St. Regis Residences, but time wise you are right, probably 18 months away... and Raffles is probably 24 months away. After that, there's currently very little competition in sight for these three, for 5 star ultra luxury residences.
Vivanna -- I'll stick with the Raffles as a direct competitor as you will have another Luxe Brand hotel to supply your every whim. St. Regis there is no hotel -- just a management team with the St. Regis brand -- not exactly the same.

chrisbrat

Reaction score

This is awesome info and the kinda stuff I don't think is easily found anywhere other than AB. Here's my follow-up quetion, though: While I don't doubt any of your explanation (thanks again), I'm confused as to the "One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates" comment. If that holds true for the whole building, wouldn't more than half of the tower's "windows" still be plywood (or nothing at all) at this point? I haven't gone and counted each window on 1 dalton, but it looks like roughly 18 windows per side x 3 sides x 61 floors which would = 3294 windows. If only one window can go in per day (when the weather is being cooperative) wouldn't it have taken 8ish years to clad the whole thing?

whighlander

Reaction score
This is awesome info and the kinda stuff I don't think is easily found anywhere other than AB. Here's my follow-up quetion, though: While I don't doubt any of your explanation (thanks again), I'm confused as to the "One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates" comment. If that holds true for the whole building, wouldn't more than half of the tower's "windows" still be plywood (or nothing at all) at this point? I haven't gone and counted each window on 1 dalton, but it looks like roughly 18 windows per side x 3 sides x 61 floors which would = 3294 windows. If only one window can go in per day (when the weather is being cooperative) wouldn't it have taken 8ish years to clad the whole thing?
Chrisbrat -- I think the 1 window per day only applies to the current situation when the proper tools to do the job en masse have been put away.
No crane on top, not even a construction elevator on the outside. You have to get the huge glass panels up by means of a service elevator inside the building.
cjbski said:
More glass went in yesterday.....

Hoist takes 45 mins-1 hr. to lower from the roof and then re-raise which makes the process take forever.

Last edited:

chrisbrat

Reaction score
That was my best guess, but thanks for confirming (or at least agreeing). Much appreciate cjbski's info, regardless.

Vivanna

Reaction score
Vivanna -- I'll stick with the Raffles as a direct competitor as you will have another Luxe Brand hotel to supply your every whim. St. Regis there is no hotel -- just a management team with the St. Regis brand -- not exactly the same.
That's kind of my point though, you get all the services of a 5 star hotel (maid service, room service, Concierge, Butlers, pool, spa, etc.) without having to deal with the transient nature of a hotel (strangers next to you on a treadmill, people you've never seen before in the pool with your kids, etc.). Maybe it's just me but that seems much more preferable... and why a lot of these ultra luxury brands are going in that direction now.