Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

More glass went in yesterday. One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates. Caulk takes 21 days to settle which is why you see the silver clamps for an extended period after the install. Hoist takes 45 mins-1 hr. to lower from the roof and then re-raise which makes the process take forever.

Could be another month and a half or so to finish the glass if weather cooperates.

More glass went in yesterday. One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates. Caulk takes 21 days to settle which is why you see the silver clamps for an extended period after the install. Hoist takes 45 mins-1 hr. to lower from the roof and then re-raise which makes the process take forever.

Could be another month and a half or so to finish the glass if weather cooperates.
Cjbski -- they've got the time -- no hurry.

As long as they keep selling the condos -- Well no one is about to challenge their Residential Supremacy for quite a while

The closest to a true challenge to 1 Dalton -- would have to be Raffles because of the hotel service. Beyond that you have to imagine either something done with the Top of the Pru as an Uber Penthouse, or down the road -- perhaps a tower on the Hynes footprint with some other uber-lux hotel under Uber Penthouses

This really cool, specific info is one of the reasons I come here, thanks for sharing! There's so much about architecture and construction that an armchair critic like myself doesn't know, and doesn't even know that he doesn't know until learning about it on AB.

I took this close up of this caulking/clamping [ process on February 21st.
9581C2EF-FDA2-462C-A531-C0876640000A.jpeg

Cjbski -- they've got the time -- no hurry.

As long as they keep selling the condos -- Well no one is about to challenge their Residential Supremacy for quite a while

The closest to a true challenge to 1 Dalton -- would have to be Raffles because of the hotel service. Beyond that you have to imagine either something done with the Top of the Pru as an Uber Penthouse, or down the road -- perhaps a tower on the Hynes footprint with some other uber-lux hotel under Uber Penthouses

I would say the biggest competitor to One Dalton is the St. Regis Residences, but time wise you are right, probably 18 months away... and Raffles is probably 24 months away. After that, there's currently very little competition in sight for these three, for 5 star ultra luxury residences.

I would say the biggest competitor to One Dalton is the St. Regis Residences, but time wise you are right, probably 18 months away... and Raffles is probably 24 months away. After that, there's currently very little competition in sight for these three, for 5 star ultra luxury residences.
Vivanna -- I'll stick with the Raffles as a direct competitor as you will have another Luxe Brand hotel to supply your every whim. St. Regis there is no hotel -- just a management team with the St. Regis brand -- not exactly the same.

This is awesome info and the kinda stuff I don't think is easily found anywhere other than AB. Here's my follow-up quetion, though: While I don't doubt any of your explanation (thanks again), I'm confused as to the "One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates" comment. If that holds true for the whole building, wouldn't more than half of the tower's "windows" still be plywood (or nothing at all) at this point? I haven't gone and counted each window on 1 dalton, but it looks like roughly 18 windows per side x 3 sides x 61 floors which would = 3294 windows. If only one window can go in per day (when the weather is being cooperative) wouldn't it have taken 8ish years to clad the whole thing?

This is awesome info and the kinda stuff I don't think is easily found anywhere other than AB. Here's my follow-up quetion, though: While I don't doubt any of your explanation (thanks again), I'm confused as to the "One panel goes in per day when the weather cooperates" comment. If that holds true for the whole building, wouldn't more than half of the tower's "windows" still be plywood (or nothing at all) at this point? I haven't gone and counted each window on 1 dalton, but it looks like roughly 18 windows per side x 3 sides x 61 floors which would = 3294 windows. If only one window can go in per day (when the weather is being cooperative) wouldn't it have taken 8ish years to clad the whole thing?
Chrisbrat -- I think the 1 window per day only applies to the current situation when the proper tools to do the job en masse have been put away.
No crane on top, not even a construction elevator on the outside. You have to get the huge glass panels up by means of a service elevator inside the building.
cjbski said:
More glass went in yesterday.....

Hoist takes 45 mins-1 hr. to lower from the roof and then re-raise which makes the process take forever.

Last edited:
That was my best guess, but thanks for confirming (or at least agreeing). Much appreciate cjbski's info, regardless.

Vivanna -- I'll stick with the Raffles as a direct competitor as you will have another Luxe Brand hotel to supply your every whim. St. Regis there is no hotel -- just a management team with the St. Regis brand -- not exactly the same.

That's kind of my point though, you get all the services of a 5 star hotel (maid service, room service, Concierge, Butlers, pool, spa, etc.) without having to deal with the transient nature of a hotel (strangers next to you on a treadmill, people you've never seen before in the pool with your kids, etc.). Maybe it's just me but that seems much more preferable... and why a lot of these ultra luxury brands are going in that direction now.

That's kind of my point though, you get all the services of a 5 star hotel (maid service, room service, Concierge, Butlers, pool, spa, etc.) without having to deal with the transient nature of a hotel (strangers next to you on a treadmill, people you've never seen before in the pool with your kids, etc.). Maybe it's just me but that seems much more preferable... and why a lot of these ultra luxury brands are going in that direction now.
Vivanna -- Not to belabor the point -- But.
In the One Dalton you get the best of both possible worlds.

You have the Four Seasons below with its kitchen and room service. You also have your own private elevator shared only with your fellow owners and some special amenities only for the owners. Finally for the Ubers in the Penthouse Levels the private thing is on steroids -- you only rub shoulders with other penthouse peoples from the ground up to your doorway [note that there are no hallways just lobbies on each floor for each of the elevators so that you will only share a lobby with one other residence or have a lobby to your self depending on the floor and how much you have paid for your place]

I don't think that either Raffles or St. Regis can compete one on one with that and the potential uber 360 view

Another update: the main sidewalk is taking forever to come along because they've now cleared all of the extra junk out of there -- and are in the process of tearing up the concrete foundation that had to be installed to support the hoist.

Then, heated sidewalks will be installed as well (similar to the hotel and residential sides where they did the same thing).

In terms of glass, there should be more going in today with the warmer temperatures. About 4 panels of glass are waiting outside the building and maybe 8 or so plywood panels remain.

Back