Franklin Park - White Stadium Renovation

The BPDA Board has just approved this private-public renovation project. I'm not sure what the next steps in the timeline are, but I'm hoping they can get shovels in the ground as soon as possible. The ongoing lawsuit has a hearing early next year but the consensus seems to be that it holds little merit and will fail

Weird. The Parks and Recreation Commission is now holding up the plans. They voted to approve the design, but the required demolition plans didn't pass.

Perhaps Everett wasn't consulted enough.

Last edited:
I run at White Stadium every week and it was locked yesterday, with no warning or posted notice. Other people trying to access the stadium were also confused. Does anyone have an update on the situation? Does this mean construction is beginning?

I run at White Stadium every week and it was locked yesterday, with no warning or posted notice. Other people trying to access the stadium were also confused. Does anyone have an update on the situation? Does this mean construction is beginning?
Get used to it being closed to the public once the city lets a private corporation decide who can use it.

UPDATE: The guy who unlocks the statium was off on Monday and the city didn't coordinate to unlock the stadium in his absence (according to him). It was open again yesterday and today. Apparantly, it will be accessible for the rest of the summer.

UPDATE: The guy who unlocks the statium was off on Monday and the city didn't coordinate to unlock the stadium in his absence (according to him). It was open again yesterday and today. Apparantly, it will be accessible for the rest of the summer.

Psst, NWSL team - run, don't walk, away from this for Kraft's stadium in Everett.;)

No longer "NWSL Team," now "BOS Nation FC." Probably the worst name possible for a Boston sports franchise, esp with the Boston Breakers being somewhat iconic, but here we are.

No longer "NWSL Team," now "BOS Nation FC." Probably the worst name possible for a Boston sports franchise, esp with the Boston Breakers being somewhat iconic, but here we are.

Whoof. That's...not great.

Boston FC Party was right there if they insisted on going the "City FC" route.

Boston FC Party was right there if they insisted on going the "City FC" route.
I saw someone on twitter say it should have been Salem themed as the Boston Witches, which brought me to the crazy idea of moving the team to Salem and cursing the city with year round traffic. or maybe just october commuter rail service year round

I saw this on the news and let out an audible gasp when they said the name. Thats bad, like all time bad. They cant really go with that name can they? Somebody stop them!

What is it with the horrible team names lately? Seattle Kraken, Washington Commanders, Cleveland Guardians. Commanders and guardians are trash because they sound like exactly what they are… something cooked up by a committee of HR people where the #1 requirement is not… a good name, but instead making the scientifically least offensive name possible. So thats what they got.

Washington football team actually ended up being a better name because it grew into kind of an FU to the league and actually came about organically. There were plenty of better names than commanders going around though that they had asked the fans to vote for, but then they just forced it on the fans anyways who had ranked that name last. Kraken is dumb because its just…why. If all else fails just name it after a non dumb animal. Seattle Sockeyes would have made perfect sense in the pacific northwest.

The New Orleans Pelicans are really the only non trash recent team name that nobody ever says is bad because everyone knows what a pelican is, new orleans has lots of them, and its an actual thing vs a vague concept like a guardian. Bos nation fc though…. what the hell is a bos nation, nobody has ever said those words before. Soccer literally has a naming cheat code that is impossible to screw up where you just take the city name and add fc and youre done… yet they still jacked it up. Crazy.

I saw this on the news and let out an audible gasp when they said the name. Thats bad, like all time bad. They cant really go with that name can they? Somebody stop them! What is it with the horrible team names lately? Seattle Kraken, Washington Commanders, Cleveland Guardians. Commanders and guardians are trash because they sound like exactly what they are… something cooked up by a committee of HR people where the #1 requirement is not… a good name, but instead making the scientifically least offensive name possible. So thats what they got. Washington football team actually ended up being a better name because it grew into kind of an FU to the league and actually came about organically. There were plenty of better names than commanders going around though that they had asked the fans to vote for, but then they just forced it on the fans anyways who had ranked that name last. Kraken is dumb because its just…why. If all else fails just name it after a non dumb animal. Seattle Sockeyes would have made perfect sense in the pacific northwest. The New Orleans Pelicans are really the only non trash recent team name that nobody ever says is bad because everyone knows what a pelican is, new orleans has lots of them, and its an actual thing vs a vague concept like a guardian. Bos nation fc though…. what the hell is a bos nation, nobody has ever said those words before. Soccer literally has a naming cheat code that is impossible to screw up where you just take the city name and add fc and youre done… yet they still jacked it up. Crazy.
The Cleveland Guardians are so named for the sculptures on the Hope Bridge, the Guardians of Traffic. Not a great name but it’s not out of nowhere.

BOS Nation FC is truly disastrous. It’s embarrassing. This will kill the team. The stadium work should halt because the organization isn’t going to last.

Here are a half dozen better options that are locally relevant, inoffensive, and even catchy. For free!

Boston FC
Boston Beacons
Boston Buzzards
Boston Gulls
Boston Plovers
Boston Harbor Seals

Last edited:
What in the world is that Kraken slander? Seattle's got two other marine themed teams, Mariners and Seahawks, the Kraken slide right in perfectly, and as a more "menacing" name to boot. The uniforms/brand design is great, and it's as unique of an identity as you'll find.
If you really named them the Sockeyes, people are going to have the same issue as you're having now with the Guardians: nobody would know where that comes from.

I saw this on the news and let out an audible gasp when they said the name. Thats bad, like all time bad. They cant really go with that name can they? Somebody stop them!

What is it with the horrible team names lately? Seattle Kraken, Washington Commanders, Cleveland Guardians. Commanders and guardians are trash because they sound like exactly what they are… something cooked up by a committee of HR people where the #1 requirement is not… a good name, but instead making the scientifically least offensive name possible. So thats what they got.

Washington football team actually ended up being a better name because it grew into kind of an FU to the league and actually came about organically. There were plenty of better names than commanders going around though that they had asked the fans to vote for, but then they just forced it on the fans anyways who had ranked that name last. Kraken is dumb because its just…why. If all else fails just name it after a non dumb animal. Seattle Sockeyes would have made perfect sense in the pacific northwest.

The New Orleans Pelicans are really the only non trash recent team name that nobody ever says is bad because everyone knows what a pelican is, new orleans has lots of them, and its an actual thing vs a vague concept like a guardian. Bos nation fc though…. what the hell is a bos nation, nobody has ever said those words before. Soccer literally has a naming cheat code that is impossible to screw up where you just take the city name and add fc and youre done… yet they still jacked it up. Crazy.

The Cleveland Indians could have chosen a better name for their rebrand. Instead, they went with something obscure to Cleveland. I think it's based off of statues on a bridge. They tried to tie the name to the city, and at a local level, it works even if it sounds a bit flimsy and no one outside of the area know what it's referring to. I am sure for people over the age of 30, calling them the Guardians instead of the Indians will take some more time getting used to. Same thing for the Washington Redskins being called the Commanders. I think the Commanders was a better rebrand than the Guardians. Something about the Guardians just doesn't feel right.

New Orleans missed a chance with calling their basketball team the Voodoo, or somehow getting the naming rights to the Jazz back.

BOS Nation FC will be right up there with bad team names. Most soccer teams in the NWSL don't have names tied with their cities/regions. They could have chosen almost anything really.

Boston Rebellion FC or SC/Boston Uprising FC or SC

What in the world is that Kraken slander? Seattle's got two other marine themed teams, Mariners and Seahawks, the Kraken slide right in perfectly, and as a more "menacing" name to boot. The uniforms/brand design is great, and it's as unique of an identity as you'll find.
If you really named them the Sockeyes, people are going to have the same issue as you're having now with the Guardians: nobody would know where that comes from.

People dont know what a sockeye salmon is? I think most people know what a salmon is at the very least, and as you were saying about the marine theme it fits in with that. Sockeye salmon are native to the pacific northwest, a Kraken is a mythical octopus from scandinavian folklore, what the hell does that have to do with seattle lol?

Anyways I’m not even saying they necessarily should have been called the sockeyes, that was just one of the more popular names that was going around at the time. I’m saying that if you had to pick an animal there were plenty of better options that go with seattle in my opinion than a make believe octopus from scandinavia. Sockeyes, Chinook, Cutthroats…etc (native salmon/trout species) Merlins, Kestrels, Ospreys, (native hawks)….etc. Seattle Merlins would have been really cool imo, but I dont remember seeing that at the time. Ideally they could have brought back the Metropolitans franchise name as they were the first American team to win the stanley cup but they couldnt make it happen. Obviously there is no team name that will please everyone, the colors they chose for the kraken are fantastic tho imo Ill give them that. Luckily the nba is expanding soon and they cant f that up because the supersonics are coming back and thats a legendary name that also ties into the local aviation history of seattle.

Last edited:
I have never heard of a sockeye in my life, no. As far as I'm concerned, salmon's just salmon. Maybe it's different in Seattle, but again, you run into the same issue that the Guardians have.
At least to me, having a team name with a "powerful" presence, not really sure how to put it exactly, is important for the more intense and violent sports like football & hockey. Naming a team after salmon, just doesn't have the impact that teams for those sports deserve. I guess teams like the Cardinals and Browns would also fall under the same criticism, but they're some of the oldest teams in the league so I give 'em a pass.
In that sense, I think the Kraken fit perfectly. A powerful beast of the sea, to represent a maritime city. No, it doesn't have its origins in Seattle, but how many Brown Bears do you see in New England? How many Tigers in Detroit? And so on.

Back