General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

If it's just blandford blocking 4-cars, surely something can be worked out.

Way more than Blandford. Every B platform can do 3-cars today (some considerably less comfortably than others), but every single one of them sandwiched between grade crossings (BU East, Harvard Ave., Chiswick, Chestnut Hill Ave.) are too short for quads and would either have to move or have the entire roadway reconfigured for fewer grade crossings.

It's a prohibitive amount of reconfiguration when per-train capacity isn't the problem...front-door-only boarding, train schedules/bunching, and messed-up stop spacing are the problem. The B is not growing on any sort of curve where the capacity needs are going to DOUBLE end-to-end on the same exact headways as 2-car trains are running today. That's ludicrous. If more capacity is needed then they should be zeroing in on 1) installing a short-turn yard between Harvard and Griggs for Comm. Ave. rebuild Phase III to flush the innermost headways @ 3-car, and 2) evaluating supplemental thru-routed trains off the C or D to flush the BC schedules fuller...and backstop those highest-ridership/highest-growth portions of the line on either side of the hill accordingly.

The grade-separated lines (D to GLX) are the ones that could/should get quads to flush the subway. The B just needs permanent triplets, and eventually the too-short C platforms (Washington Sq. because of the U-turn grade crossing and Cleveland Circle because of the Ayr Rd. crossing) should get fixed to allow triplets. E...out of luck unless the VA Hospital is willing to sell a strip of parking lot to widen out outer Heath Loop; that's the limiter for >2.

The amount of capacity increase per train that comes from +2 D cars at peak and +1 B/C is so high that tactical nuclear strikes like mowing down every single surface platform for future proofing OCD is a useless distraction. One that directly inhibits your preference for more crosswalks on Comm Ave.

The only things they need to do are churn through the ADA and fix the platforms that pinch so narrowly at the ends they're awkward as hell for 3-cars. Blandford is fine for opening all doors on a 3-car set if they put a fence between the roadway and eat the shrubbery to widen out that impossibly narrow platform closest to the portal. Finish that and streamline where streamlining's needed and the B is primed for all the capacity bump it'll need without overkill or screwing up the station spacing for some perfectionist notion of future-proofing it'll never need.

Why is Blandford needed at all? It's spitting distance to Kenmore.

Why is Blandford needed at all? It's spitting distance to Kenmore.

Subway entrance to Blandford grade crossing it's almost 1400 ft. That's wider spacing than most B stops. Can't trace it by linear distance to where the roads--Beacon/Comm/Brookline/Deerfield--converge and mark the real center of the Square, because the subway entrances are off-center a good distance east.

Yes, it's necessary. Sox postgames would be even more unmanageable than they are today without it, and between-classes at School of Management, School of Engineering, and ex-HoJo's + The Towers dorms it gets packed full. Believe me, it's mission-critical. The Blue Book reflects that, with 1540 daily boardings (7th out of 18 stops on the B). They're legitimately tardy doing ADA on it and fixing the narrow platforms.

Blandford would be easy to fix and get up to three cars if they eliminated the grade crossing (except for pedestrians, obviously). It only serves a rather redundant left from Silber onto Comm (all the trucks seem to turn at Granby anyway), and the straight onto Blandford which is nominally a pedestrian mall anyway. You could probably get a three-car fully accessible platform in without taking away any space on that third track (which is fairly heavily used).

Blandford would be easy to fix and get up to three cars if they eliminated the grade crossing (except for pedestrians, obviously). It only serves a rather redundant left from Silber onto Comm (all the trucks seem to turn at Granby anyway), and the straight onto Blandford which is nominally a pedestrian mall anyway. You could probably get a three-car fully accessible platform in without taking away any space on that third track (which is fairly heavily used).

It handles triplets today, just *very* uncomfortably especially on the inbound side because of how impossibly narrow the platform gets by the portal. That summer a few years ago they trialed 3-cars on the B it operated like that, sub-ideal dwells and all. Single-file only by the front door on the first inbound car; that had to have been pretty brutal.

Simply fencing the road and widening out the entire platform over the shrubbery to a full regulation 5 ft. width (maybe moving this lone electrical box on the inbound side to pole-mounted instead) pretty much fixes all the flow problems and makes it perfectly up-to-spec for 3-car ops. Outbound trains can match doors-to-platform and it wouldn't matter if the rear of the last car hangs back behind the portal concrete. Inbound it might block the crosswalk by just a couple of feet, in which shifting the crosswalk diagonal onto the 3 feet or so of slack space by the crossing probably does the trick for keeping it unobstructed during train stops.

Obviously you can't flip Blandford to the opposite side of the grade crossing and retain the yard that's so very necessary for Sox postgames, but that gets it 100% for natural/non-fugly 3-car ops. It's baffling they haven't done this yet. Packards and Warren are the only non-accessible B stops with higher boardings, and both of them are subject to Comm. Ave. Phase III before their rebuilds can realistically take place so they have very good excuse for lagging. Newton Highlands on the D is the only other non-ADA surface stop that's bigger.

MBTA said:
improved headways

Has anyone speculated what this might be about? Reliability? Or a significant schedule change?

Has anyone speculated what this might be about? Reliability? Or a significant schedule change?

Reliability. They can't exactly wave more trains in when the whole thing just collapses on itself in a toilet clog of bunching. Could mean some coordinated combination of 1) signal priority, 2) the stop consolidations, 3) traffic flow-related intersection improvements like fixing the BU Bridge intersection of pain, and 4) all-doors-boarding. All of those things have the most impact on service reliability on the B and B schedules/headways.

3-car trains alone don't really do anything for headways. Capacity yes, headways no. In fact, the "summer of threes" trial they did on the B a few years ago came at a slight headway reduction because of the extra dwells associated with front-door boarding at the narrowest extremes of platforms. So raw car capacity is a neither here nor there, as less crowding at the front doors at the more spacious platforms is counterbalanced by extra lag at the really substandard bare pavement strips that just barely make it and weren't designed in mind for that service pattern being any sort of full-time thing. You've got more work to do on the Phase III roadway rebuild, up the hill, and at Blandford fleshing out more uniform platform widths before it gets uncapped into an aggregate schedule enhancer.

I would guess #1 capability is automatic with the Comm Ave. rebuild since all the lights out to Carlton were done over during Phase I (if they don't pull a Beacon St. and make excuses). However, it's not going to stretch beyond Packards until the Phase III roadway rebuild happens so it's a small-scale improvement at best. #2 helps in tandem with #1, although station placement is going to matter (mid-block < train stops at the traffic signal). I would guess #3 is the most dramatic single improvement that could be made IF they fix that intersection in a way that gets it on a unified lights + protected lefts cycle. And #4...well, Captain Obvious can't smack them across the foreheads any harder. I hope their solution isn't staffing attendants in front of two measly stations for 8 hours per weekday to pat themselves on the back for saying they did something...then immediately cut those positions during the next annual budget crisis.

Removing two stops will certainly speed up travel time, and improve reliability through that section. Plus by mid-2015 we should have 100% tracking data on the Green Line that can be used to make headways a lot more reliable.

Removing two stops will certainly speed up travel time, and improve reliability through that section. Plus by mid-2015 we should have 100% tracking data on the Green Line that can be used to make headways a lot more reliable.

That's true too. Without live data to go by all the stuff they're talking about right now are guesstimates. Trains don't have live tracking, the traffic lights are analog. It's an investment of manpower to get the modeling done right, and that could force some relatively minor changes. Including the stop selection for these consolidations. One of the reasons the B does suck is because there's been no truly detailed monitoring of the flow...other than stating the obvious that it sucks. Most of what has been done was third-party like Brookline's traffic study on the C or some independent modeling of Comm Ave. like that MIT whitepaper about 3-car ops. There's still an element of deaf/dumb/blind to square up here.

BOOM.

MBTA Rolls Out ‘Phase One’ of Real-Time Green Line Tracking
The T will start with access to information about above-ground trolleys as they work to install new equipment inside the tunnels.

The MBTA is rolling out the new real-time tracking option in segments, Smith said. To start, on Thursday afternoon, the T will unveil tracking capabilities for above-ground trolleys only, after making pertinent data available to third-party apps created by local developers to deliver train location information to commuters.

When you’re above ground on the Green Line, you will be able to see if the train’s four stops away, or if it’s two stops away,” said Dom Tribone, the MBTA’s special assistant for strategic initiatives.

Tribone said that T maintenance workers have been toiling away for months on the inaugural piece of the project, outfitting the vehicles with brand-new GPS systems, making the above-ground tracking possible.

After testing out phase one, the T hopes to roll out time-prediction data for above-ground trains in the next few weeks, which would give riders exact times of when the next trolley will pull up to an outside station, instead of merely showing how many stops away it is.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2014/10/23/mbta-green-line-tracking-real-time-mobile-app/

The T is hosting some kind of realtime data event at the District Hall thing tonight. I figured it was related.

Shame it's the same night as the Green Line stop consolidation meeting. Or maybe that's intentional.

Or maybe that's intentional.

The event at District Hall is more for app developers to learn about the data they are about to get, appropriately titled "Developers Night"

The stop consolidation meeting overall concerns a different group of people.

Well as a developer and a rider, I disagree ;)

Well as a developer and a rider, I disagree ;)

Heh, I was about to edit my post saying "unless you're a developer and an advocate." True true.

Have you developed any MBTA apps?

Nothing fancy. I've played with the data for years. Made myself a webpage to display predictions in a way that I was interested. And I've been collecting data for an analysis project putting together real-time metrics of performance.

Having Green Line real-time data is a real juicy opportunity for that ;)

I'm continually left wondering why the MBTA itself doesn't develop an official app (or commission one) with real time data. Their apps page is a confusing mess of all sorts of apps that do different things. Not at all show trains. Some show buses. Etc... I'm not saying the indie apps shouldn't exist, but there should be one central MBTA app that is available for those who want it that just provides bus and train locations.

I guess. I've been pretty happy with the "Transit" app though, this past year. It's third-party but it works on almost every system in the country (world?) with real-time data, and it works on Android and iOS at least.

I'd almost rather not have the MBTA try to duplicate it. Maybe in the past it would have been useful but now, the options are there.

I guess. I've been pretty happy with the "Transit" app though, this past year. It's third-party but it works on almost every system in the country (world?) with real-time data, and it works on Android and iOS at least.

I'd almost rather not have the MBTA try to duplicate it. Maybe in the past it would have been useful but now, the options are there.

I did not know about Transit. Using it now. Thanks!

Lame. I guess ops wasn't invited to this PowerPoint party after all. I'd pin them to some answers about this because it's clunky for the kind of flow improvements they want to get on the B. That's not the kind of fix a transit engineer would lead with...that's a fix a streetscaper would lead with.

Bill McClellan swears up and down that mid-block stations will not hurt signal priority. He admitted that far-side is preferable but mid-block won't be an obstacle.

So there's that...

I did not know about Transit. Using it now. Thanks!
I've found the Transit app to be the best of the many I have tried..it is the one I keep on my homescreen (all others, like the MBTA CR ticket app, have been consigned to one level down in a folder)--and Transit works in an amazing variety of cities.

Unless th T gives us all-mode e-pay / e-pass / e-faregate / zone 1A CR/Bus/LRT/HRT and pedal-park integration I see no reason for me to keep the MBTA app "on top"

Back