General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Next generation fare media? What's next? Charlie Cards are already contactless.

Side note: I rode the London DLR today, which is proof-of-payment but fully integrated with the fare-gated traditional Underground. We even got inspected. My friend used his Oyster card for paying fares, but I simply used my regular contactless VISA debit card to pay, which is allowed nowadays. Tap in, tap out. Going back to MBTA CharlieCards is going to feel like an inconvenience. Or, even worse, those awful NY MTA MetroCards.

If I had to guess it would probably be more a system capabilities upgrade that requires a much more secure RFID chip in the cards, rather than a totally different means of fare collection. The more it scales up into a universal card for accessing/paying everything transportation-related in the whole region, the more money ends up being exchanged via Charlies and the more attractive a target they become for identity thieves. That, and backwards compatibility could easily be broken if the faregates get upgraded for smart phone payment or non-Charlie debit cards. Probably cheaper and easier to just reissue them all with the new tech rather than trying to build a backwards compatibility kludge into the upgraded system.

Looks like the T has made up its mind for light night service.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...bta-service/46ZEOTGXSB096xJE6kX1xK/story.html

Though Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority officials haven’t yet voted on a proposal to eliminate late-night bus and subway service, the agency has given drivers schedules for the spring that do just that.

When subway drivers recently began choosing their shifts, they noticed a big omission on the schedules: Beginning March 19, drivers no longer had to pick up shifts past 12:30 a.m., said a union official briefed on the schedules.

That caught some drivers and public transit activists off guard, particularly because the MBTA has not made any formal announcement about the end of late-night service. Though members of its fiscal control board have appeared ready to ax the service, the board will not vote until Feb. 29.

Caroline Casey, a community organizer for the T Riders Union, said she believes MBTA officials held public meetings about whether to cut the service with their minds already made up. “This isn’t about logistics, this isn’t about planning ahead,” she said. “This is about the fact that this public process is a sham.”

But despite the newly released driver schedules, board member Monica Tibbits-Nutt said officials have not made up their minds about getting rid of the service. Eliminating the shifts on the new schedules was a matter of practicality, she said.

“We didn’t want to have them sign up for things that could be changing,” she said.

Joe Pesaturo, an MBTA spokesman, agreed. “No decision has been made,” he said in an e-mail. “The [fiscal control board] is expected to consider its options later this month.”

Pesaturo said spring schedules do not include the late-night shifts because the MBTA believes it’s easier to add passenger rail trips than to remove them from a schedule.

Currently, the MBTA runs subway trains and some buses until about 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. The potential elimination of the service — which cost about $14 million during the 2015 fiscal year — comes as MBTA officials make several cost-saving moves to close a $242 million budget gap in fiscal year 2017.

The MBTA sets the schedules for workers, who choose their shifts four times a year, during periods called “the pick.” If workers pick shifts that are later eliminated, Pesaturo said, they would still be entitled to be paid for them.

But if the late-night shifts are added later, the T may still need to pay more — since some workers may have to take the shifts at overtime rates.

Late-night service has had a mixed record for 15 years.

In 2001, the MBTA tried a “Night Owl” bus service that ran along popular subway routes. Four years later, ridership dropped to just 700 passengers a night, and officials nixed the service.

Late-night service got a second chance in March 2014, under Deval Patrick, the governor at the time.

‘We didn’t want to have them sign up for things that could be changing.’

Officials hoped businesses would help subsidize the extended hours, which stretched until about 2:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. But over time, few businesses stepped up: A handful provided financial support for a total of $100,000, and The Boston Globe and the Red Sox contributed about $750,000 in promotional services.

The service proved to be much more popular than the Night Owl service: Ridership averaged between 15,000 and 17,000 during the first few months, though it eventually dropped. About 13,000 riders used the service every weekend, according to November 2015 numbers.

By the beginning of 2015, T officials hinted that a lack of funding could halt the program. They said the service was costly and that because of it workers had less time to do maintenance on trains overnight. In February, under a new administration, the T decided to extend what had been a pilot program but scaled back the service by about half an hour and cut out late-night bus routes with low ridership.

In recent months, board members have not voiced support for the service. They told officials to move forward with public hearings that would be necessary before any cuts, and the MBTA held three such meetings in January.

Tibbits-Nutt said she and other board members have been clear that they believe the money could better help passengers during peak hours. “I’ve been on the side of saying, ‘There are better ways to use this money, and there are better ways to invest in core service,’ ” she said.

Still, for regular users of the service, the news that its end may be imminent was disheartening.

Logan Trupiano, a Suffolk University student, testified at one the public meetings, saying that the service made students safer.

“It’s clear that the decision has been made,” Trupiano said. “It’s rough for students like myself who use it.”

Dumping the Charliecard vendor and their refusals to do anything without huge payoffs (hence why we don't have more fare machines in more places, why you can't buy zone 9 and 10 tickets from a machine) is a big motivation. So is disposable contactless media, which is just coming out. Imagine if you could tap a Charlieticket - it would speed up boarding immensely, especially with all-door boarding where then the only people who have to board with the front door are the few paying cash. Would also allow for use on commuter rail - cheap tap pads on the doors, plus on the platforms at some stations like the downtown terminals (also some like Lowell) where that would work well.

I suspect (though I have heard nothing to confirm or deny this) that it would be a MassDOT-RIDOT collaboration in order to push the system out to the MBTA, the RTAs, and RIPTA all in short order to preserve interoperability. Similarly, I'll hazard a guess that they'd add in timed tickets (for example, you could buy a fare for the 5:00 pm bus to Newburyport, or something like that) to add in the subsidized intercity buses.

Dumping the Charliecard vendor and their refusals to do anything without huge payoffs (hence why we don't have more fare machines in more places, why you can't buy zone 9 and 10 tickets from a machine) is a big motivation. So is disposable contactless media, which is just coming out. Imagine if you could tap a Charlieticket - it would speed up boarding immensely, especially with all-door boarding where then the only people who have to board with the front door are the few paying cash. Would also allow for use on commuter rail - cheap tap pads on the doors, plus on the platforms at some stations like the downtown terminals (also some like Lowell) where that would work well.

I suspect (though I have heard nothing to confirm or deny this) that it would be a MassDOT-RIDOT collaboration in order to push the system out to the MBTA, the RTAs, and RIPTA all in short order to preserve interoperability. Similarly, I'll hazard a guess that they'd add in timed tickets (for example, you could buy a fare for the 5:00 pm bus to Newburyport, or something like that) to add in the subsidized intercity buses.

Hopefully that stops them from dragging their feet on commuter rail integration and on converting all systemwide parking payments to Charlie.

Time sensitivity could be huge if they exploited it to the hilt. Could finally get free tap-on/tap-off transfers from surface Silver Line to rapid transit that way.

This thing would be really really killer if they got ConnDOT on-board, since the Hartford Line will be using the CT fare collection system but PVTA buses in Springfield will be (already are?) Charlied as part of the statewide farecard conversion for all the RTA districts.

Ditto when Shore Line East reaches Westerly and touches RIDOT commuter rail + RIPTA. Momentum's starting to build to get SLE across the state line.

Since T crews are frequently vilified on this board, here's a T maintenance crew story to make your day:

MBTA @MBTA
Fast moving #MBTA workers repaired a cracked rail near Fenway in less than 90 mins

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/699332242166796288

CbSGstnUcAArEDl.jpg:large

Fare enough (sic). I hope that when they do switch away from this vendor, they pick something open and interoperable.

Don't forget that WRTA uses Charlie Cards too.

So do these RTA's:

• Berkshire Regional Transit Authority (BRTA)
  • Brockton Area Transit Authority (BAT)
  • Cape Ann Transportation Authority (CATA)
  • Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority (CCRTA)
  • Lowell Regional Transit Authority (LRTA)
  • Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority (MVRTA)
  • MetroWest Regional Transit Authority (MWRTA)
  • Montachusett Regional Transit Authority (MART)
  • Southeastern Regional Transit Authority (SRTA)
. . .plus RIPTA about to join.

These are the only ones that haven't yet:

• Franklin Regional Transit Authority (FRTA)
  • Greater Attleboro-Taunton Transit Authority (GATRA)
  • Martha's Vineyard Transit Authority (VTA)
  • Nantucket Regional Transit Authority (NRTA)
  • Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA)
Don't know what the implementation schedules are for these guys, but only 3 mainland ones left to go.

Are you talking about Scheidt & Bachmann? Because they don't actually own the CharlieCard or CharlieTickets. The MBTA actually owns the encoding key and could encode cards on their own.

Since T crews are frequently vilified on this board, here's a T maintenance crew story to make your day:

MBTA @MBTA
Fast moving #MBTA workers repaired a cracked rail near Fenway in less than 90 mins

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/699332242166796288

CbSGstnUcAArEDl.jpg:large

Datadyne -- I found it interesting that one of the places where there was winter trouble with rails this weekend was stated as being at Assembly Square

I was under the impression that most of that rail was installed when the station was inserted into the original Orange Line ROW

Datadyne -- I found it interesting that one of the places where there was winter trouble with rails this weekend was stated as being at Assembly Square

I was under the impression that most of that rail was installed when the station was inserted into the original Orange Line ROW

It was really near Assembly. It wasn't actually "at Assembly," despite the tweet saying so. A cracked rail can happen pretty much wherever though. It's just the extremely cold weather that causes it.

That was the famous photo with them heating the rail by lighting it on fire with kerosene.

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/698888866267271168

CbLzjS_WIAINeDi.jpg:large

And the result:
CbMHmAyUsAAdISK.jpg:large

Even more excitement on the Orange Line tonight:

CbYsvHSUEAAr10c.jpg:large

With lots of smoke filling the car and no employees in sight I'd probably kick out a window too, especially after WMATA killed someone.

Do the OL trains have emergency door-open thingies on the inside (it has them outside (visible in the photo) for people outside to open once it's clear the train isn't moving, right?)

I feel like those would be required for safety reasons/so that people don't have to jump through windows to escape death by smoke inhalation.

Doors did not open because the train was not fully in the station which make sense to me. You don't want passengers jumping into the track with a live third-rail.

Do the OL trains have emergency door-open thingies on the inside (it has them outside (visible in the photo) for people outside to open once it's clear the train isn't moving, right?)

Orange Line trains have a ring lever at the end of the car that opens the cab door, for exit via the cab. In addition to exterior ones, there actually are side door releases at each door inside too, but they are not advertised for safety purposes. The release is located under the seats next to each door. I got a bit frustrated last night seeing all these windows kicked out when there were easy ways out of the train, but I soon realized that people were panicked and had no idea whatsoever of those release features, as people on the platform who could have used the exterior door releases, chose to instead kick in some of the windows.

On the Siemens Blue Line trains, the side door releases are a bit more evident above the doors, but still are not advertised.

Back