General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Onus probandi

I'll gladly provide proof. What I am saying is not new. It has been widely reported for months. You have seen the articles. Every couple days there is a report saying that the MBTA is out of money. Or that the MBTA wasted a ton of money on union corruption or poor employee practices. Or that service is being cut. Or that fares are being raised. Or that service is crappy.

Here's a bunch of articles from the past couple weeks that all either show that:

1. The MBTA doesn't have enough money for good mass transit
  2. The riders and/or taxpayers need to pay more money
  3. Service is being cut or is not performing well
  4. The MBTA wastes a lot of money on corrupt union/employee practices
  5. Any combination of the above

5 Investigates: Cash-strapped MBTA paying drivers to stay home

MBTA explores possible fare hikes at public meetings

Fairmount line setback: No DMUs says MBTA

Signs of Green Line extension costs ignored

MBTA Hears From Public About Proposal To Cut Late-Night Service

MBTA had high rate of breakdowns in 2014

Defects plague new MBTA locomotives

Pension perk for MBTA workers will cost taxpayers millions, report says

Minority group leader slams MBTA on cronyism, calls for outside audit

Letter: MBTA needs to fix equipment, not raise fares

Report Says MBTA Sick Time Perk Fattens Pensions

For the T, riders should come first

Editorial: How to save the T

In the interest of time, I did not find the 100% perfect articles. But this gives you an idea. And I assume you are a smart, well-read guy. You've seen plenty of this evidence. So now I go back to you.

"the MBTA unions and employee practices are not working, are corrupt, and are one of the things that are preventing us from having good mass transit."

Please, don't deflect. If you disagree, fine. But why?

Please, don't deflect. If you disagree, fine. But why?[/B]

Sorry, but in addition to onus probandi, shifting the burden of proof is also an argumentative fallacy, as is Kettle Logic, argumentum ad ignorantiam, and false dilemma.

Onus probandi

I'm sorry, but suggesting that public unions (specifically public unions here, not the entire concept of unions) are fleecing us all is not in the least bit controversial. I believe the burden is on anyone who would defend a public union. The entire model is flawed and thus, not surprisingly, rotten to the core.

Is this just a competition to see who can throw the most logical fallacies against the wall?

51R7UMdku7L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Brb, reading.

It's not. Hence the winky. I was trying to stretch out the chain of logical fallacy accusations for the sake of some lighthearted humor.

It is a shame that we have to cut late-night service (costing $14m) because, as BigE points out, we are apparently unable to solve the pension-padded-with-sick-days ($49m~$72m) and pay-overtime-to-cover-sleep-time (750k) and then you wonder how to quantify the effects of hiring practices that don't seem tied to qualifications.

What's this "IF we were able to use electronic rostering and electronic scheduling" that Brian Shortsleeve is talking about? Shoulda gone electronic in about 20 years ago, so why didn't they? The costs of non-electronic rostering probably include another $1m/year worth of clerks.

If unions today have an image problem, then it's a self-inflicted one. A hundred years ago they were a truly righteous force fighting the good fight, but they sadly lost their way long ago. They are first and foremost about lining their own pockets and their snouts are deep in the taxpayer trough. Contempt may be more rightly directed at top officials but the rank and file are hardly innocent. Effective, real reform of MBTA corruption and incompetence is long, long overdue...when you find a leach on your back, you don't just wag your finger at it.

So does anyone besides The EGE have any actual, on-the-ground proof that the scheduling waste is the result of corruption? What's the scheduling system used by MBTA managers? Is it modernized or is it a relic? If you were to implement a new scheduling system that optimized shift assignments would that arrest the waste or not?

If not, then you can argue corruption. If the MBTA's scheduling apparatus is a some kid penciling it in on the fly, then what do you expect? It wouldn't be the first time the MBTA was bashed by out of date systems that aren't updated due to a) funding, b) apathy, and/or c) people exploiting the system want to preserve it. Sounds like there are three potential causes on the table and no one seems to actually know which or which combination is the culprit.

I'll gladly provide proof. What I am saying is not new. It has been widely reported for months. You have seen the articles. Every couple days there is a report saying that the MBTA is out of money. Or that the MBTA wasted a ton of money on union corruption or poor employee practices. Or that service is being cut. Or that fares are being raised. Or that service is crappy.

Here's a bunch of articles from the past couple weeks that all either show that:

1. The MBTA doesn't have enough money for good mass transit
  2. The riders and/or taxpayers need to pay more money
  3. Service is being cut or is not performing well
  4. The MBTA wastes a lot of money on corrupt union/employee practices
  5. Any combination of the above

5 Investigates: Cash-strapped MBTA paying drivers to stay home

MBTA explores possible fare hikes at public meetings

Fairmount line setback: No DMUs says MBTA

Signs of Green Line extension costs ignored

MBTA Hears From Public About Proposal To Cut Late-Night Service

MBTA had high rate of breakdowns in 2014

Defects plague new MBTA locomotives

Pension perk for MBTA workers will cost taxpayers millions, report says

Minority group leader slams MBTA on cronyism, calls for outside audit

Letter: MBTA needs to fix equipment, not raise fares

Report Says MBTA Sick Time Perk Fattens Pensions

For the T, riders should come first

Editorial: How to save the T

In the interest of time, I did not find the 100% perfect articles. But this gives you an idea. And I assume you are a smart, well-read guy. You've seen plenty of this evidence. So now I go back to you.

"the MBTA unions and employee practices are not working, are corrupt, and are one of the things that are preventing us from having good mass transit."

Please, don't deflect. If you disagree, fine. But why?

Can I make a suggestion?

Can we please, for once, draw a fundamental distinction between what unions we're talking about? Bus + rapid transit is the ATU-affiliated Carmen's Local 589, which has been *the* union for those workers since BERy was the employer. Commuter rail is 3 separate RR unions aligned with their specific crafts. Whose bennies are far more normalized vs. their national peers because of a very competitive Northeastern job market in which multiple commuter rail agencies, Amtrak, and many freight carriers all hire from each other out of the same labor pool. And whose bennies are normalized because they were all inherited from the same 3-5 private RR's up and down the whole coast during the same 1970's timeframe. T/Keolis's labor problems are Amtrak's labor problems are Metro North's labor problems are CSX's labor problems, and a by-the-numbers accounting will show very little out-of-line up here from the league averages.

National craft unions subject to national/regional normalizing effects aren't remotely comparable to a wholly local, single-employer enterprise that's been subject to a whole lot of warping and polluting from within its vacuum over the years. I see so many Carmen's Union-specific criticisms (of which there are many very valid ones) lump-packaged with a bunch of irrelevant commuter rail examples. And not just "Carmen's schmar-men's; they're all the same!" laziness...but failing to acknowledge that the Keolis conductors don't even share a shred of union DNA with the Keolis track workers who belong to a whole different craft union. It's a red herring, whether intentional or a wholly unintentional oversight on the poster's part.

From repeat offenders in these labor discussion threads, purposeful conflating of the two is far and away the easiest way to tell apart an honest attempt at substantive criticism of the T's labor practices from a bunch of "WHARRRGARBL!" talking points intended to mislead or threadshit for the joy of watching the boards burn. Anyone who doesn't proudly count themselves among the rank-and-file membership of Threadshitters-Я-Us might want to remember that, yes, it does matter which union or unions you're naming in the critique. Relevance to topic is one of the few things that cuts through the excessive signal-to-noise on this issue.

Workers are not allowed to voluntarily choose shifts that infringe on the ten-hour rule. When picking shifts, if there is an available shift that doesn't hit it, they must choose that. Some new employees (picking last) are occasionally forced to pick into it if there are no possible shifts that avoid it.

The MBTA formerly had a six-hour rules, which was by far the worst in the industry. Every other major property in the US used eight or ten hours, with an agreement to move to ten. The MBTA planned to implement the ten-hour rule over a five-year period to make integration with union rules as smooth as possible - and instead it was forced immediately (this was several years ago) by an outside agency.

So what you're saying is that seniority privileges trump not wasting taxpayer dollars. It should be the managers' responsibility to move people around in the case where having people pick their own shifts end up with parts of shifts that cannot legally be worked. Of course, this is no surprise. The sole purpose of the T is to enrich it's employees. The fact that a semi-functional transit service is provided as a result is merely a convenient side effect.

Question, I don't believe I have ever seen this raised in ArchBoston. Why does Boston not consider open gangway trainsets (AKA centipede or accordion trains) to increase capacity on heavy rail transit lines. These trainsets are common in about 3/4 of the subway systems around the world, but not in the US.

Article from Slate:
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin..._gangway_cars_why_does_the_u_s_resist_it.html

Question, I don't believe I have ever seen this raised in ArchBoston. Why does Boston not consider open gangway trainsets (AKA centipede or accordion trains) to increase capacity on heavy rail transit lines.

Jeff, This was discussed in detail, as always by our favorite MBTA geeks (and I mean that in a good way), - it might have been over on the thread for the new replacement red and orange line trains.

Question, I don't believe I have ever seen this raised in ArchBoston. Why does Boston not consider open gangway trainsets (AKA centipede or accordion trains) to increase capacity on heavy rail transit lines. These trainsets are common in about 3/4 of the subway systems around the world, but not in the US.

Article from Slate:
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin..._gangway_cars_why_does_the_u_s_resist_it.html

You could ask exactly the same for New York, which has overcrowding issues that make open gangways a far more acute need there than here. "We've always done it this way", blah blah blah. The MTA had to be dragged kicking and screaming into *considering* it, but consideration is all they're giving it so far. They have so few options left for easing overcrowding that the vehicles themselves need to start offering a better solution.

Simplest explanation for the T is that the crowding aspect is so low on the Top 10 list of problems to address that it's simply not going to rate very high as a factor for car orders. If an RFP for open gangways is going to thin the herd of bidders just slightly, probably better to just not thin the herd at all this time. Orange's overcrowding is from having too few cars to do the rush hour headways the line is natively capable of; that problem goes away when the new cars substantially increase the fleet size. Red's overcrowding is from inadequate traffic distribution downtown making platform dwells at Park + DTX + SS a schedule drag that's disrupting headways all the way back into Cambridge. That's not really something increased vehicle capacity would do anything to address; modern re-signaling, fixing the constipated egresses at Park/DTX, and getting those all-critical radial subway builds moving are the solutions. Blue going to 6 cars in the last order leaves them under-capacity and another generation of expansion (i.e. Red-Blue + BLX-Lynn) away from filling back up.

Open gangway vehicles do carry with them *some* added maint costs and *some* added debugging time on the cars before a new order is delivered. As well as *some* customization if the line in question has tighter curves than the default tolerances of a vanilla open gangway design. Orange is straight enough that there's probably nothing out of the ordinary there, but Harvard curve? Yes...you'd have to take the due diligence extra testing time to make sure the articulation stands up to the punishment that tight curve inflicts. And since this ongoing order goes with an identical design for both lines on everything except the literal carbody dimensions, the same enclosed articulation design would be used on the Orange cars with similar debugging lead time before they can get waved into service.

Time is something they do not have right now with the Orange and Red orders. If getting the articulation right adds 6 months to the delivery, that could be the difference between an extra winter of mass car shortages in 2019 when uptime is at its diciest-ever on the old cars. Perfectly defensible reason to take a pass on it for the present order.

So while there is some intertia and Not Invented Here in-play, there also isn't a compelling reason to change designs when so many other things trump that on the priorities list. We have justifiable nervousness at the T's wildly hit-or-miss history of going custom with orders. HRT vehicles are about as generic and hardest to screw up as it gets. The 3 different sizes and Blue's roof- + ground -level dual power inputs are such cosmetic differences they don't even constitute real design deviations. So why introduce any surplus-to-requirement features with this particular order that could add time to the delivery?

Next HRT car order I could see it being a standard feature to should shoot for. If only because NYC Subway and PATH at that point will probably have a large enough open gangway fleet that there'll be no fear of ordering the same vanilla stuff in Red/Orange/Blue configurations and risking all that unnecessary extra "Buy America" assembly overhead screwing something up.

But by next order we'll probably have a much larger heavy rail system to feed, as well as fixes of the downtown mobility clogs such that the lines are firing on all cylinders. By that point the capacity advantage of open gangways will be directly addressing a need to control onboard crowding, instead of today being neutral and wholly unrelated to what's causing downtown congestion and what needs to be done to fix it.

So does anyone besides The EGE have any actual, on-the-ground proof that the scheduling waste is the result of corruption? What's the scheduling system used by MBTA managers? Is it modernized or is it a relic? If you were to implement a new scheduling system that optimized shift assignments would that arrest the waste or not?

If not, then you can argue corruption. If the MBTA's scheduling apparatus is a some kid penciling it in on the fly, then what do you expect? It wouldn't be the first time the MBTA was bashed by out of date systems that aren't updated due to a) funding, b) apathy, and/or c) people exploiting the system want to preserve it. Sounds like there are three potential causes on the table and no one seems to actually know which or which combination is the culprit.

Cantab -- the Carmen's Union has reluctantly OK'd a small scale pilot project for a few months to allow testing the use of electronic scheduling

However, you can be sure that they got something in return such as "education credit" for taking some courses teaching the new system as an escalator to the base salaries of the people involved

Note that even the full implementation of the electronic scheduling system will not alter the overall labor mess and in particular the abuse of overtime and sick leave -=- there needs to be wholesale reform of the work rules, as well as outsourcing all of the collection of funds and upkeep of the Charlie equipment

Does anyone know how the Green Line maintains the headway for each of the four lines they run? Because having 4 Bs, 2 Cs, 2 Ds, before a single E line train is absolute unacceptable, especially when all the lines are terminating at Park this weekend.

Headways are primarily controlled by the two dispatchers in the OCC. They're trying to manage all the trains at once, and deal with emergencies, so there is very little actual headway control especially on the branches. Their primary ability is to extend of short turn trains in the central subway; without that ability (like this weekend) it's much more difficult for them.

Automated real-time control would enable the dispatchers to deal with real emergencies and let computers do the difficult small-scale adjustments. It is being worked on, but it is difficult due to all the same characteristics that make the Green Line dysfunctional in the first place.

One-door boarding (which will be solved by the next-generation fare media) and lack of transit signal priority are the big issues causing inconsistency on the Green Line. There needs to be pressure on Boston, Brookline, and the MBTA all at once to cooperate, bite the bullet, and get it in place.

Next generation fare media? What's next? Charlie Cards are already contactless.

Side note: I rode the London DLR today, which is proof-of-payment but fully integrated with the fare-gated traditional Underground. We even got inspected. My friend used his Oyster card for paying fares, but I simply used my regular contactless VISA debit card to pay, which is allowed nowadays. Tap in, tap out. Going back to MBTA CharlieCards is going to feel like an inconvenience. Or, even worse, those awful NY MTA MetroCards.

Back