Goodwin Procter HQ @ Fan Pier | 90 - 110 Northern Ave - Parcel I | Seaport

Re: Goodwin Procter HQ (Parcel I) @ Fan Pier | 90 - 110 Northern Ave | Seaport

Keep in mind that an additional building will bookend the park-- GP HQ will have a thinner buddy.

Oh! That's right, completely forgot. Hopefully it steps down to the park and is "lighter" overall. There aren't any renderings outside the site plan yet, correct?

I just walked by this building, and I am pretty impressed. I swear there is a little purple in the glass. The building itself does have a slant on the top. Not quite so boxy.

Did not realize the sides were this reflective.

050615pierfourpw001.jpg

050615pierfourpw004.jpg

https://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2015/05/arts_proposals_paint_picture_of_pier_4_waterfront_uses

Last edited:

God, that Globe article was poorly written or I'm just bad at reading (LOL).

It says, "Fan Pier development site will be boosting the space for that purpose from 107,000 square feet to 111,000 square feet."

I thought it meant it was expanding 4,000 square feet in total.

FAN PIER CIVIC AND CULTURAL USE PROGRAM PUBLIC MEETING
MAY 21, 2015
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

From the BRA:

The Boston Redevelopment Authority is hosting a community meeting to present certain changes to the civic and cultural use program at the Fan Pier Development site.

The call for civic and cultural facilities was underscored through the approval of the South Boston Waterfront Municipal Harbor Plan. Pursuant to that plan, 127,000 sf of new civic uses along the South Boston waterfront were authorized to balance the scale of new private development along the water’s edge.

Proposed changes to the civic and cultural use program at the Fan Pier Development site include increasing the total gross square feet of civic and cultural uses from 107,000 square feet to 111,000 square feet, allowing the ICA‘s expansion into adjoining Building I, and consolidating 17,166 square feet into Building D for a program proposed by The Boston Children’s Museum, The New England Aquarium and the Boston Harbor Island’s Alliance.

Wonder what the ICA has in mind for here?

Wonder what the ICA has in mind for here?

Just posted in the Boston Globe:
At the heart of a proposal before the Boston Redevelopment Authority is the museum’s effort to take up two floors worth of space in a 17-story tower being developed across the street by the Fallon Co., likely linked by a sky bridge. The expansion would increase the museum’s usable footprint by 19,000 square feet.

“We’ve been waiting 10 years for development to move forward” on the waterfront, said Richard McGuiness, the BRA’s deputy director for waterfront planning. “Now that it is, we’re happy the ICA is ready to expand and we’re glad we have additional space to give to them.”

Reached by phone in Venice on Thursday, ICA director Jill Medvedow estimated that the proposed expansion would cost $10 million to $12 million — roughly equivalent to the institution’s $11.6 million operating budget.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/201...n-pier-site/kUZqyQEpl0EVjcvc6r80oJ/story.html

Ooo a skybridge, my favorite. Also, just as a contextual note, the potential Children's Museum/Harbor Islands/Aquarium space would be in the parcel for which we have only recently seen renders, Parcel D: it's the other Fan Pier site on the waterfront, designed by Elkus. And at 17,000 sqft, the space would be approximately the same square footage that the ICA currently takes up.

EDIT: The numbers have gotten kind of mucked up by the Globe, but I should amend that last sentence: the ICA structure takes up 65,000 sqft, but its gallery space is about 17,000.

Last edited:

Globe: ICA looks to expand at Fan Pier site

The ICA is looking to take up 111,000 sf of cultural and civic space in the new office tower next door.

Jumbo -- I think you have mixed some of the numbers in the story -- the 110,000 sq. ft. refers to the total commitment by Fallon to civic cultural uses

I believe that the ICA's expansion number is 20,000 sq ft -- but that is still significant since today the ICA is 60,000 sq ft total

Some of the other sq. ft. will now be for a combined exhibit space for the Aquarium, Children's Museum, and Boston Harbor Island Alliance

from the Herald story:
As part of the reconfigured civic and cultural space, the Boston Children’s Museum, New England Aquarium and Boston Harbor Island Alliance — which previously planned separate satellite locations on Fan Pier when it was in the planning stages in 1999 — will collaborate on a single project. They’ll take 17,166 square feet at 50 Liberty Drive, a residential building that Fallon hopes to start this summer or fall, according to McGuinness.

What are people's thoughts about a subterranean connection? Certainly more (too?) expensive and maybe too late in the process.

I think the ICA is a beautiful building as a stand alone; a skybridge jutting out of the south ("back") face just feels clumsy.

What are people's thoughts about a subterranean connection? Certainly more (too?) expensive and maybe too late in the process.

I think the ICA is a beautiful building as a stand alone; a skybridge jutting out of the south ("back") face just feels clumsy.

Do we know that there is a connection -- Perhaps you just walk across the street and present your ticket as you used to do with Harvard for the Fogg and Sackler [Cambridge wouldn't allow the bridge over Broadway

I disagree. I love DS+R's ICA, but I admit the "back" of it is clumsy. It's by far its weakest point. A light, modern skybridge jutting out could really enhance it and provide some opportunity to rework some of that facade.

^+1

God, that Globe article was poorly written or I'm just bad at reading (LOL).

It says, "Fan Pier development site will be boosting the space for that purpose from 107,000 square feet to 111,000 square feet."

I thought it meant it was expanding 4,000 square feet in total.

The Globe reporting on the numbers of this has been a mess. I *think* the overall story is:
-smth like 100k sq ft (107k, 111k, ... whatever) for culcha'n'stuff in Fan Pier
-of that 60k sq ft already went to the ICA
-fan pier has now decided to slightly increase the total amount of space available
-the ICA is considering taking 10k sq ft more
-the children's museum, aquarium and harbor islands fanclub are taking another 20k sq ft (?)
-this leaves 20k sq ft that is not yet claimed
-various parties interested in the available space, whether it is the 10k it looks like the ICA is taking, or the remaining, unclaimed 20k

That could be horribly wrong, but it's the best I can do reading the news reports.

The Globe reporting on the numbers of this has been a mess. I *think* the overall story is:
-smth like 100k sq ft (107k, 111k, ... whatever) for culcha'n'stuff in Fan Pier
-of that 60k sq ft already went to the ICA
-fan pier has now decided to slightly increase the total amount of space available
-the ICA is considering taking 10k sq ft more
-the children's museum, aquarium and harbor islands fanclub are taking another 20k sq ft (?)
-this leaves 20k sq ft that is not yet claimed
-various parties interested in the available space, whether it is the 10k it looks like the ICA is taking, or the remaining, unclaimed 20k

That could be horribly wrong, but it's the best I can do reading the news reports.

Itch -- I think the ICA is adding 20,000 sq ft in the adjacent building
The consortium of the Aquarium, Children's Museum and Harbor Islands is taking about 18,000 sq ft

if the grand total is 111,000 and the ICA already has 60,000 then after the additional 38,000 there seems to be about 13,000 left for future use

17440345482_0db7edb402_b.jpg

17442301935_2bbf9ca09b_b.jpg

^ Very cool how the flank of the building is cloaked in that top pic.

The ICA's biggest weakness is the lack of exhibit space. I know a number of people have been taken aback by the fact there's only one floor of actual art on display in the entire building. Addressing that would be a huge boon to the museum.

Back