Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

The sunlight passing through the elevated superstructure is great. I hope the design allows for some of it after the ties and tracks go in,

The sunlight passing through the elevated superstructure is great. I hope the design allows for some of it after the ties and tracks go in,
Gosh, I'd just assumed the crossties would be set in stone ballast, but then again I was (wrongly) picturing the concrete viaducts in new systems like LA and Norfolk VA

Gosh, I'd just assumed the crossties would be set in stone ballast, but then again I was (wrongly) picturing the concrete viaducts in new systems like LA and Norfolk VA

Old Orange Line El had plenty of daylight in spots between the tracks, as it was wood crossties on open deck.

Old Orange Line El had plenty of daylight in spots between the tracks, as it was wood crossties on open deck.
Sure, and the Lechmere Viaduct still does (though it is hard to experience from most angles most of the time). Do we actually know they're setting the crossties across the steel beams here?

Ball square bridge and near school street bridge.
I’m surprised how that thin wall can hold all that weight for the berm
61A61ADA-690A-4AE9-B5DD-A6026C73952B.jpeg
EFAA5149-0152-43EA-A8F7-29103D983319.jpeg
41CE3A91-A92E-46DD-8901-26FBEA725B8A.jpeg
BD02DD1D-2BD6-4D80-BD6C-2B76DCF2FB28.jpeg
42FCB706-1A37-470C-80B6-4CE95CF17621.jpeg
5EB41C88-9120-41C3-9F55-5AABA80C5EA8.jpeg
8B42BC63-61F2-43FB-AA85-E84A4D43FE5F.jpeg
E5587F4F-47C4-4B2B-A37E-A492EFB3D8EA.jpeg
C319F3FA-06B9-4792-914E-949A8ABE9058.jpeg

Sure, and the Lechmere Viaduct still does (though it is hard to experience from most angles most of the time). Do we actually know they're setting the crossties across the steel beams here?

I'm pretty sure the girders will be composite with a cast-in-place deck, then ballasted above.

Am I the only one who loves transit trenches with defined walls and structure like the ol corridor much more than just dirt and bushes and crap? I like the exactness of it, the cleanliness, the uniformity, the separateness... I dont even know why but Im excited to see how quality and prepared this corridor soon looks vs the unkemptness of before.

^ agreed: old deteriorating retaining walls, each of I different material, design, and patch-as-you go era, evokes the financial struggles of the old railroads

Am I the only one who loves transit trenches with defined walls and structure like the ol corridor much more than just dirt and bushes and crap? I like the exactness of it, the cleanliness, the uniformity, the separateness... I dont even know why but Im excited to see how quality and prepared this corridor soon looks vs the unkemptness of before.
Reminds me distinctly of the Southwest Corridor which Orange Line problems aside is certainly the highest quality bit of Commuter Rail tracl infrastructure in the network

I wonder why those beams are painted green and the ones further towards Brickbottom aren't. Is it just that it's a high-visibility location so they wanted them to be prettier?

I wonder why those beams are painted green and the ones further towards Brickbottom aren't. Is it just that it's a high-visibility location so they wanted them to be prettier?

No...probably just more sensitive work windows when they're painting above roads and sidewalk. That's night work in Lechmere Sq. They can do it 24/7 everywhere else, and use a lull in other schedules to backfill paint chores if they need an excuse on a given day to keep someone busy.

No...probably just more sensitive work windows when they're painting above roads and sidewalk. That's night work in Lechmere Sq. They can do it 24/7 everywhere else, and use a lull in other schedules to backfill paint chores if they need an excuse on a given day to keep someone busy.

The steel beyond Water Street appears to be weathered, so it won't get painted at any point in time. I'm guessing the beginning of the new viaduct (at Lechmere) had some type of requirement by the MBTA to match the look/feel of the existing viaduct.

Pretty sure the beams were painted long before they arrived on the property. Haven't seen paint equipment anywhere near the site, and I was riding through semi-regularly before the lockdown.

Ball square bridge and near school street bridge.
I’m surprised how that thin wall can hold all that weight for the berm
There is probably an earth reinforced wall built behind the thin facia wall. Horizontal layers of geofabric separated by select material go a ways back into the soil behind the facia wall. I've deigned similar structures myself. They're very commonly used.

Pretty sure the beams were painted long before they arrived on the property. Haven't seen paint equipment anywhere near the site, and I was riding through semi-regularly before the lockdown.
The green beams arrived already painted. They had them sitting at the site weeks before being hoisted onto the concrete supports.

Back