I-695, Soutwst X-Way, Mystic Valley Prkway, S. End Bypass

Is that the Washington Street El running left-to-right about 1/3 of the way down the photo? What is the modern white landscraper building just below it, on the right?

Washington Street is out of the picture in the foreground. The building in the bottom right corner fronts Shawmut Ave (just out of view). The big landscraper is still there--its the long building across Tremont Street from Cunard and Coventry streets.

I can't help but wonder if city life would have been better if the Pike went via 695's proposed routing to Melnea Cass ROW and then 93.

That is an intruiging idea. However, the big downside is the Fenway between Jamiacaway and the Museum of Fine Arts would have been trenched for the highway, then decked over and turned into something ugly like the Rose Kennedy Greenway. There also would have been an interchange with the Jamaicaway completely paving over the Fenway between Brookline Ave and the Riverside Green Line. Not a good thing. It would be like Bowker overpass, except 10 times more impactive.

Ron, it's a government-subsidized housing development, ROXSE Housing.

The design of the building today looks different from then, but I believe it's the same building.

Approximately 1050 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02118

That is an intruiging idea. However, the big downside is the Fenway between Jamiacaway and the Museum of Fine Arts would have been trenched for the highway, then decked over and turned into something ugly like the Rose Kennedy Greenway. There also would have been an interchange with the Jamaicaway completely paving over the Fenway between Brookline Ave and the Riverside Green Line. Not a good thing. It would be like Bowker overpass, except <del> 10 times more impactive</del>.except with enough space for a proper pike interchange, reducing the need for a riverside freeway distributary and thereby allowing storrow to be downgraded to a boulevard or a bike path....

there, fixed it...

A long feature on the highway revolts of the early 70s.

http://www.architects.org/architectureboston/turn-signal

To fully grasp the significance of a 40-year-old decision to stop highway expansion through Greater Boston, it helps to engage in a bit of alternative history. So let us imagine: What if that ensnaring spider web of new highways had been built?

Thirty-eight-hundred homes would have been demolished. Frederick Law Olmsted’s Back Bay Fens would have been sliced in half, between the Museum of Fine Arts and the Gardner Museum. Huge swaths of Central Square and Cambridgeport — the nightclubs, bookstores, and coffeehouses — would have been razed.

In their place would have been an eight-lane interstate beltway some 7.3 miles long, according to most plans, with 13 new interchanges; 12-foot emergency shoulders on both sides; and all the noise, grime, and pollution that comes with 55,000 car trips per day.

This is not to mention the long finger of I-95 that would have extended from Dedham north through the city, or the extension of Route 2 into Cambridge. Does anyone think the South End would be one of the most desirable addresses on the East Coast today with a six-lane highway running through it? Or that Kendall Square would be a teeming catalyst for innovation had the Red Line not been extended?

^ I posted about this a month ago on the previous page, lol.

See post 216 and on.

Cloverleafs are rare builds today because so many 1960's traffic planners blew it on the traffic count estimates. It's all T interchanges like these designs when one highway ends at another, and stacks or turbines when one major highway crosses another. Higher margin for error on those designs when projecting loads.

MA had a cloverleaf fetish back in the day. Look at all the 128 exits being redone now and every exit down 24 to Taunton. They've got a couple other dysfunctional half-built ones like this to eliminate, such as 295/95 in Attleboro. And others built as intended that need modification because they're far exceeding design load (93/128 Woburn).
Great analysis! 'Though "fetish" is a little unfair: As the rest of your analysis admits its more like "blindspot" --they had no way of seeing how the suburbs and car-ownership would overwhelm their system (e.g. there are 2x the number of cars on the road today as there were in 1970), nor could they see how the loads from unbuilt segments would overwhelm what they were building (as exactly here, that "95" traffic is loaded onto 128 at both intersections with 93)

The main problem I see with cloverleaves is that they produce a very hostile and difficult environment for pedestrians (and, to a lesser extent, cyclists) on the non-freeway road.

Given the harsh winter cold and snow of New England, it made sense here to build cloverleafs rather than LA-style stacks and fly-overs. Cloverleafs minimized bridge lengths (bridge mtc. is expensive in icy, cold climates), avoided curved bridges (less safe in frosty pavement conditions), and provided plenty of storage for snow removal.

Climate considerations are why the old LA freeway interchanges were laid out so differently than the old New England ones. More curved bridges, longer bridges and fly-overs on the California freeways, which works when you have virtually no snow, frost or rust to worry about.

Given the harsh winter cold and snow of New England, it made sense here to build cloverleafs rather than LA-style stacks and fly-overs. Cloverleafs minimized bridge lengths (bridge mtc. is expensive in icy, cold climates), avoided curved bridges (less safe in frosty pavement conditions), and provided plenty of storage for snow removal.

Climate considerations are why the old LA freeway interchanges were laid out so differently than the old New England ones. More curved bridges, longer bridges and fly-overs on the California freeways, which works when you have virtually no snow, frost or rust to worry about.

Snow in LA you say?

The California Highway Patrol has shut down Interstate 5 through the Grapevine because of snow as Southern California was hit by a cold front.

The announcement came at 4 p.m., with the CHP saying the northbound lanes were closed at Parker Road. The southbound lanes were closed at Grapevine Road.

The Grapevine was closed earlier this morning because of snow and ice.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-ice-cold-front-hits-southern-california.html

the Hollywood Hills, which are much shorter than the Tehachapi mountains where the Grapevine pass is.

The grapevine is often closed for snow, but snow is very rare in the lower elevations directly surrounding Los Angeles, and almost unheard of in the basin itself.

Back to the future; 1965/1975
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97144142@N07/9091404946/sizes/l/

I first got this map in 1966, published by the BRA in 1965, a sweeping revamping of Boston at the time. Probably a lot of the downtown and south station area plans would have materialized if not for the escalating Vietnam War draining federal funds in the mid to late 1960's.

I really like parts of it, hate others. The street pattern around Dewey Square makes sense. The surface artery south of Dewey Square through China Town would have been eliminated. There would have been an elevated moving sidewalk between South Station and Downtown Crossing (not called that back then), as well as underground tunnels for department store delivery trucks.

There was much hubris and excitement about the future back then. A deeply flawed but heroic vision presented in this plan.

Oh sweet! I have some of the neighborhood maps but not this one.

Edit: And here they are! I'll probably print these out at some point and frame the set. Charlie, I added yours. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/sets/72157634370905848/

Reposting these here for research reference.

I’m in my 20’s and have lived in Greater Boston my entire life and am fascinated by the design and decisions that have led to our current highway system. I have several questions and was hoping to get some insight from fellow board members. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

How come virtually all of our major transit infrastructure (with the exception being the Big Dig however that was mainly the replacement of a highway rather than an addition) was built in the 1960’s or earlier? How come in spite of a much greater commuting populace in the 5+ decades since, there have been no new highways? Isn’t there more money now than there was back then to support building infrastructure? It seems like back then they were building highways left and right and now it’s a big ordeal to consider widening a highway or replacing a bridge.

How come when researching the Inner Belt, you can tell everything is written in such a biased way against it? Surely there must have been supporters for the project to have lived on for a few decades. There must have been at least some redeeming qualities to the concept.

From what I can see, major opposition to the Inner Belt related to its displacement of residents and destruction of neighborhoods. However from what I can tell, proportionately the number of residents and businesses that would be relocated seems relatively minor for the developed areas the Inner Belt would be serving. The residences affected would be compensated through eminent domain at fair market value to move elsewhere. Is any consideration given to not having the highway and having the residences stay put, but now having to deal with an influx of traffic on local streets during rush hours because highways are not available to take those cars off local streets? High traffic reduces the quality of life and safety for people in the effected neighborhoods, not to mention reduces the value of their property. For example, I have what technically should be a reverse commute, from my apartment in Charlestown to my office in Waltham. However, the most direct route, Route 2, abruptly ends at Alewife, so to get onto (or off of depending on the way) of Route 2, I have to sit in traffic for an hour plus meandering through local roads because the extension of Route 2 through Cambridge was canceled. What results is poor safety and adverse traffic conditions for those who are affected by all this local traffic that wouldn’t be there had the highway had been finished. There’s also now the rest of Route 2 which is left under-utilized and you can fly through at speeds greater than the speed limit during the peak of rush hour while parallel highways that have been completed (the Mass Pike) are at a standstill. Not only does this adversely impact those who live along the local streets which are now seen as necessary cut-throughs, but all the commuters that sit idly in the traffic for hundreds of hours each year and the adverse effect it has on their lives, the economy, and the environment.

With all the opposition to highways and how they will destroy homes, displace the elderly, and tear up neighborhoods, have highways been built that have actually done such a thing? Okay, I know people say the Central Artery did tear up neighborhoods, but that has since been rectified and in a beautiful way. But I’ve never heard someone complain about how the Mass Pike or 128 tore up the neighborhood or some poor persons home and they had no where to go. Is it more a fear of change rather than a clear vision of the desired outcome?

Aren’t constant improvements to infrastructure, including new highways, inevitable? How long can a society survive off of infrastructure designed for the needs of a population in the 1960’s? Isn’t progress by its very nature achieved through change?

I may have more questions :)

Thank you very much for any feedback you can provide!

There is a moratorium on highway building inside Rt 128 since the 1970s, because of the devastating effects it has on neighborhoods and the air quality impact of inviting all those cars into the region's core.

Trampling over inner-urban neighborhoods in order to build highways that serve the outer-suburban neighborhoods is extremely unfair to those who lose their homes and communities. In many cases, it turned out that the victims were overwhelmingly minorities or low-income. This raised serious questions about equity, about racism, and class discrimination. Although "eminent domain" requires compensation to the displaced, it was almost always a joke in comparison to the loss. West End residents, for instance, were pushed out of their homes and businesses, and given pocket change in return, essentially.

Furthermore, it became well established that building more highways leads to more driving, and more cars coming into region. Besides the fact that we have no place to store all those cars without tearing down most of the city, attracting all those cars also creates more air pollution, a health hazard with consequences that we are still learning more about through the present day.

Just a few blocks away from where I sit, the Mass Pike extension required the taking of numerous homes in Allston and Brighton. One of those homes belonged to Fred Salvucci's grandmother, an experience that has colored his career up to and including Secretary of Transportation. The damage done by the Mass Pike extension was never fully mitigated, and the effort to fix that is on-going.

In Roxbury and Jamaica Plain, whole neighborhoods were completely leveled, destroyed, to build the SW expressway and part of the Inner Belt. Look at the Historic Aerials website, compare 1955 to 1965. The damage has still not been repaired, mostly. It's complete devastation. Everything, wiped off the map. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the people of that time, and then you'll understand why it was wrong to bulldoze neighborhoods for highways.

Traffic's not a huge quality of life issue unless the cars are moving too fast. If it's gridlocked, you can walk across the street at any time :)

Back