Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

Re: Fenway Area Redevelopment

If i'm not mistaken I'd heard that SS -> BB -> Yawkey was already free. I used to ride the framingham line all the time and don't recall ever having to show my pass before yawkey. If it isn't technically free it certainly is functionally.

SS-BB is officially free. Yawkey is zone 1a, but it's essentially free.

What do you mean by "officially"? Because it's listed right here that Back Bay is also Zone 1A:

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/?eid=10512&sidebar=false

It is zone 1a, but my understanding is that inbound from BB to SS, it is official policy not to collect fares. I don't believe that is the case for outbound, though from a practical standpoint, it usually ends up being free. I'm not aware of Yawkey having a similar status.

Thanks for clarifying the CR fare structure to Yawkey - I hope they can really leverage this on game day.

In terms of the development, is anyone surprised that these megaprojects built on highway decks can't get financing? And let's be clear: even with financing, it's likely these megaprojects end up value engineered into oblivion given the debt structure.

The state should float a muni bond to cover a construction-ready deck on all valuable air rights over the Pike, using the new sales value created from the decking to cover the bond. Then they can sell to smaller more eager developers who will more easily get financing, will naturally phase and scale the developments, and are less likely to build value-engineering rubbish.

It is zone 1a, but my understanding is that inbound from BB to SS, it is official policy not to collect fares. I don't believe that is the case for outbound, though from a practical standpoint, it usually ends up being free. I'm not aware of Yawkey having a similar status.

Right in 2006 the MBTA announced that BB-SS was to be free. They now provide a schedule showing all trains stopping between the two stations, so you can plan on using it.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/D...d_Maps/Commuter_Rail/southstation_backbay.pdf

Essentially 10-15 minute headways throughout the day.

So remember how grounds were broken last November?

Lols.

Well, theyve finally done something.

Before the pictures, a discussion!

The renders show instead of being rational, leaving the outer (by pike) track in place, and moving the inner track to place a center platform...

Theyre planning TWO platforms, which will probably require moving everything.

And what happens if you have two platforms?

Why, twice the elevators of course!

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

I also enjoy how the new buildings are invisible in the rendering.

Wow, that's terribly silly. There should be center platforms everywhere possible.

Sometimes I wonder if Kone (the elevator/escalator maintenance contractor) has someone in their pocket at the T.

At least something is finally being built here.

This may be the only way to build it without disrupting service.

Last edited:
Does this thing really need another overdone glass T headhouse? Most of the system gets along just fine with platforms, utilitarian shelters, and simple overhead walkways as needed. Look at all the Old Colony stations: completely generic and prefab, and they still look sleek, clean, and modern after 15 years of use. Yawkey is never going to be THAT big a ridership draw outside of game days to merit having a 'Bat Signal'-prominent headhouse.

Center platforms would be a little trickier here because the ROW is on a slight curve between two closeby bridges. They'd be a little more constrained on platform length with a center because of track clearances around the bridge abutments. Side platforms can safely squeeze to much more narrow width at the ends than a single center platform could. Worcester Line already features 7-car rush hour trains. You want this station to be compatible/expandable for a few years down the line when the T is running 8-, 9-, even 10-car trains.

Otherwise, I'd absolutely agree that center platforms are best wherever there aren't engineering constraints.

The design of Yawkey Station is a spitting image of Tri-Rail station stops (Miami):

TriRail_90582c.jpg

This may be the only way to build it without disrupting service.

Seriously. Is anyone here an engineer working on this project? If not then don't flip out over every little thing.

Also: 2 Platforms means more JOBS!

Considering the track record of the T (no pun intended), I'd say, despite the structural engineering flaws in the design of the project, I'm just glad like everyone else that there's some construction headway.

A center platform would still require 2 elevators because the T has a policy of not allowing any new at-grade crossings of tracks to be created.

Also similar to many Metro-North stops, including my regular launch pad to NYC.

Take a look at the other stations on the line, it's almost the same design with the island platforms as well as side platforms post renovations/ADA conplience upgrades.

I don't like that it looks like it will have two elevators per platform, but I am OK with it being a side platform station.

Wow, that's terribly silly. There should be center platforms everywhere possible.

Sometimes I wonder if Kone (the elevator/escalator maintenance contractor) has someone in their pocket at the T.

At least something is finally being built here.
MassDOT as a whole had a contract with KONE. I'm not sure if they still do because KONE stopped making hydraulics in 2006. They used to have giant banners hanging up in Logan... and then somehow Terminal A (the first LEED Certified terminal in the country) ended up with Otis GeN2's. Copley, Arlington, and Kenmore all have hydros that couldn't have been installed by KONE unless they used a 3rd party pump, which has been done in the past. It's too bad the T isn't embracing KONE's EcoDisc MRL elevators, even just for green bragging rights.

As discussed in the GLX thread, the T is really putting a heavy emphasis on redundancy nowadays. If they do in fact make them all hydros, the carbon footprint will simply be ridiculous and so anti-green that it's pathetic.

Looking at the pictures, the track geometry may not allow a center platform without rebuilding the highway bridges.

Does this thing really need another overdone glass T headhouse? Most of the system gets along just fine with platforms, utilitarian shelters, and simple overhead walkways as needed.

Really? I think this looks pretty darn minimalist/utilitarian.

I always forget that Yawkey even exists. This will at least be iconic.

Isn't this going to disappear when John Fish finds a developer for this project? I think the bridge section will be at ground level at least from Beacon St.

Back