Logan Airport Capital Projects

Well BA, as you probably well know, has always been lacking in the lounge category (among many others on the product front). Other than peace and quiet due to relatively restricted access to the CCRs, even their best lounge at T5 is nothing spectacular against LH, CX, QF or LX. And with the direction they're heading under Cruz I don't expect that changing anytime soon although the entry corridor and security channel should be open soon. Shame given the concentration of paid F demand at LHR they can't offer a better product or at the very least better ground handling like LH/AF/LX.

My take on BA's premium product has always been that it's as good as it needs to be. I've only had two legitimately bad experiences but I'm well aware that AF and Lufthansa provide a better product and nearly as comprehensive of a network from their respective hubs. With London, the volume of paid F and J is so huge that their product can be totally unimpressive and folks(or mostly businesses) will shell out the money.

The escalator connection between Terminal C and E is very nice! The upgraded Terminal E seating areas are a HUGE improvement, lots is subdued color with a variety of new seating! Very, very nice! Massport has some talented designers on the payroll!

Connection gates between C and E leading to the escalators up to main Terminal E are also beautiful, like a private club area!

So many different, and comfortable seating areas with cleverly placed outlets everywhere! Bravo, Massport!

I do have to commend the designers for including this interactive screen which changes constantly highlighting Massachusetts innovations!! So very cool!

My Jet Blue fight back to Atlanta is delayed hours now so I'm here in the most comfortable area of Terminal C! All I need is a Tito's and Tonic which I am about to get! Cheers!

Last edited:
Also, those photos are all incredible. I would recommend posting them on Twitter & IG and tagging AECOM & Boston Logan.

Also, those photos are all incredible. I would recommend posting them on Twitter & IG and tagging AECOM & Boston Logan.

Data, thanks, such as compliment, appreciate it! This ole dog has learned a few new tricks lately but Twitter and IG (whatever that is) ain't one of em. If you would like to share, please be my guest! Dennis Ferioli if you need to give credit, but not necessary. I'm just happy to be able to contribute to this forum every once in a while.

Great shots. Where in the terminal are those escalators?

Great shots. Where in the terminal are those escalators?

CrkdKtR.png

atlantaden, great photo tour thanks for sharing.

Re: Logan Airport Clean Energy

Has Logan been trying to install enough solar panels on site to cover all of the power usage of those outlets and everything else?

At what point might it make sense for Logan to adopt a policy that all rental cars need to have a battery range of at least 50 miles (which is within the capabilities of the current version of the Chevy Volt), along with building charging infrastructure into the car rental garage so that departing rental cars would normally leave Logan running on the batteries? (Also, if we could get all Massachusetts hotel parking lots to include free electric vehicle charging for hotel guests, maybe those cars would tend to come back to Logan running on batteries.) It seems that if air quality concerns limit Logan expansion, such a policy might enable an increase in the number of parking spaces Logan could have.

At what point might it make sense for Logan to adopt a policy that all rental cars need to have a battery range of at least 50 miles (which is within the capabilities of the current version of the Chevy Volt)

Probably never. People generally want a certain degree of choice when it comes to rental cars. Not everyone wants to drive around in a golf cart.

Has Logan been trying to install enough solar panels on site to cover all of the power usage of those outlets and everything else?

At what point might it make sense for Logan to adopt a policy that all rental cars need to have a battery range of at least 50 miles (which is within the capabilities of the current version of the Chevy Volt), along with building charging infrastructure into the car rental garage so that departing rental cars would normally leave Logan running on the batteries? (Also, if we could get all Massachusetts hotel parking lots to include free electric vehicle charging for hotel guests, maybe those cars would tend to come back to Logan running on batteries.) It seems that if air quality concerns limit Logan expansion, such a policy might enable an increase in the number of parking spaces Logan could have.

The real issue with air quality standards nonattainment at airports is jet aircraft. All the work on green ground transportation is still putting lipstick on a pig. Jets burn a lot of fuel, particularly at takeoff. And the more air traffic, the worst it gets. You can't fix that issue on the ground transportation side of the equation.

The real issue with air quality standards nonattainment at airports is jet aircraft. All the work on green ground transportation is still putting lipstick on a pig. Jets burn a lot of fuel, particularly at takeoff. And the more air traffic, the worst it gets. You can't fix that issue on the ground transportation side of the equation.

Yeah, but you can (at least somewhat) with better air traffic control, on-ground queue management, and reduced engine idle time -- a.k.a., the NextGen system (if they ever finish rolling it out).

Also, most/all airlines have (within the past 8 years or so) switched to single engine idling and taxiing...not turning the second engine on until near the completion of taxiing to the runway. Here's a discussion on that.

And finally, check this out...engineless taxiing!!.

Creative engineering solutions can accomplish a lot of things : )

When you're citing primarily jet fuel as the concern, is there clear evidence that the leaded gasoline that Cape Air burns is not leading to harmful lead pollution in the air around Logan? (Maybe the FAA will announce the plan for phasing out leaded avgas next year, but I've gotten the impression that they haven't exactly been fast tracking that process.)

Can anyone confirm if the Emirates lounge has opened? I know they moved over to E for departures, but I haven't seen any confirmation that the lounge has actually opened.

Which specific pollutants from jet engines are we concerned about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_aviation seems to focus on greenhouse gases with a link to an article talking about lead (and lead is an avgas problem, not a jet fuel problem). Meanwhile, https://www.massport.com/environment/environmental-reporting/air-quality/ lists ``carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds, oxides of nitrogen and particulate matter'' and the inconsistency between those two sources seems rather surprising.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-study-confirms-biofuels-reduce-jet-engine-pollution says ``Using biofuels to help power jet engines reduces particle emissions in their exhaust by as much as 50 to 70 percent''; that study used camelina plant oil; that plant is native to the Mediterranean region. Switchgrass might be a better choice for North America, and switchgrass is also useful for preventing erosion.

(It also seems that using 100% biofuels might be carbon neutral if the plants pull CO2 out of the atmosphere and then burning the fuel in airplanes puts the same amount of CO2 back into the atmosphere.)

Back