Logan Airport Capital Projects

They arent worth $10.

If they truly mean complimentary premium alcohol I can do four Ketel sodas in a couple hours.

That said, I've acquired a taste for the McCormick's vodka they serve in the Admirals Clubs.

If they truly mean complimentary premium alcohol I can do four Ketel sodas in a couple hours.

That said, I've acquired a taste for the McCormick's vodka they serve in the Admirals Clubs.

The International Lounges do really serve complimentary premium alcohol. The wine is generally pretty good as well. As is the free food and snacks.

Significant step up from the house-brand complimentary at the Admirals Clubs.

Is anybody else rolling their eyes wicked hard at this thread?

The one in C was wine and beer only when I went

E does have a very small self service liquor area (probably illegal in Boston, woops)

"The Lounge" in C does have some liquor. Nothing is self service - they have a bartender. Everything is complementary.

Anyone snap new photos of E10-12?

What's going on with Phase 1 of the expansion?

Also, any word when lounges will be opening? Flying EK in mid April and hoping I can check out the new lounge. At a minimum I can take some photos, but still 6 weeks out from sharing those.

Also, any word when lounges will be opening? Flying EK in mid April and hoping I can check out the new lounge. At a minimum I can take some photos, but still 6 weeks out from sharing those.

Lounges should be opening in the coming couple weeks.

Heading out there tomorrow. Will snap some pix of the gate hold areas. E10-12 gate hold area is entirely open & done.

http://sponsored.bostonglobe.com/rocklandtrust/infrastructure-logan/?p1=BG_SponsoredWell

Massport CEO did a short interview with the Globe.

Per the article:

Q: So what are the needs now and how do you prioritize them?

A: The biggest one is adding seven gates to Terminal E, the international terminal. It was built with 12 gates in 1974 for 1.5 million passengers per year, and we now have six million passengers coming through those same 12 gates. We’ve gone from about 26 international flights per day in 2006 to 53 per day in 2016. That’s about a $750 million project over multiple years. That’s all funded.

He also talks about adding 5,000 parking spaces - that project is under environmental review. He also throws out any notion of expanding Logan's footprint.

http://sponsored.bostonglobe.com/rocklandtrust/infrastructure-logan/?p1=BG_SponsoredWell

Per the article:

A: The biggest one is adding seven gates to Terminal E, the international terminal. It was built with 12 gates in 1974 for 1.5 million passengers per year, and we now have six million passengers coming through those same 12 gates. We’ve gone from about 26 international flights per day in 2006 to 53 per day in 2016. That’s about a $750 million project over multiple years. That’s all funded.

He also talks about adding 5,000 parking spaces - that project is under environmental review. He also throws out any notion of expanding Logan's footprint.

I was also intrigued that he brought up them looking at a people mover between terminals.

Per the article:

I know nothing around here is cheap to build but 3/4 of a BILLION dollars for 7 gates seems crazy to me. $107+ million per gate!!!

I know nothing around here is cheap to build but 3/4 of a BILLION dollars for 7 gates seems crazy to me. $107+ million per gate!!!

It would be quite interesting to know what exactly that $750m includes, especially since he says the funds are already committed. I wonder if that figure includes the moving walkway from Term E to the Blue Line station or any other general infrastructure projects that they're trying to bundle with the Term E improvements...I agree that $750m sounds like a lot for just the terminal expansion (although bear in mind cost / sq. ft. is more than other types of construction)...but I bet this is integral to a larger plan in some way

Something tells me we're only going to see the 4 gate phase 1 expansion completed before 2040.

I am wondering if Massport is going to plan for more club space in phase 1? The E10-12 expansion has 3 brand new clubs built on the top level. I wonder if there will be enough space to construct 3 new clubs in phase 1 which should take care of every airline that currently has a club in E. The current clubs are located on the customs level, right? If so, wouldn't that open up space to expand the current immigration facilities?

So Massport has decided this is called the "Very Large Aircraft" (VLA) expansion. There's a large wall showing specs of an A380 near the connection to the original E.

Point from earlier: Every seat in E now has power via plug & USB. There are also tech island benches for laptops.

The stairs & elevator go up to the new lounges (Lufthansa, Emirates, BA).

There's a Nobel winners with MA connections wall, a MA innovation display on a seating fixture, as well as a cool "BOSTON" sign with the T missing. The premise of the sign is that you are supposed to make a T with your arms and take a picture. There are footprint "stand here" patterns in the terrazzo.

CtmbqGu.jpg

eWioXgM.jpg

PMuYQKd.jpg

rgooiYD.jpg

CNZ4eq1.jpg

Yt6Rv8f.jpg

52uwIil.jpg

bgJmxML.jpg

72pbitw.jpg

3hOKjLe.jpg

wKriPyb.jpg

zn0UG1w.jpg

Last edited:
^ Great design touches. I like the gate ID sign on the ceiling.

http://sponsored.bostonglobe.com/rocklandtrust/infrastructure-logan/?p1=BG_SponsoredWellHe also talks about adding 5,000 parking spaces - that project is under environmental review. He also throws out any notion of expanding Logan's footprint.
They should also look into a Gold Line circulator that runs Terimals-Sumner-Haymarket-Callahan-Terminals, which could be a quick run if they made it easy for the bus to exit the Sumner directly to Haymarket, berth at the covered bus berths, round the block in a contraflow (where needed), and go right back into the downramp to the Callahan.

Fantastic photos - thanks for sharing.

Standing where the T is in Boston seems to be becoming a popular photo op on instagram.

Very nice! I can't tell from the pictures how spacious the area is; the original gate area in E felt cramped even when it technically wasn't crowded. The Boston sign is a nice touch.
A little odd how the gates are identified in four different ways in four different fonts (and it doesn't look particularly intentional/coordinated).

Nice pics, Data! I especially like the references to Massachusetts innovations/Nobel Prize winners (MassPort did something very similar but on a larger scale in the new connection between C and E at the new Jet Blue gates), and the Boston Letters, that will be well used no doubt. I'm curious, if there happened to be two A380's and a 747 at the gates, is the holding area enough to accommodate all those passengers waiting to board?

Agree. Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing. Some really nice design touches.

Back