Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Always great news when a new airline announces service to Logan, especially international service. Is this route and airline similar to what Icelandic Air has been for Logan for years...a cheaper alternative route mostly used by students and budget travelers to get to Europe? I take it that Cork has good connections to the rest of Europe?

Is this route and airline similar to what Icelandic Air has been for Logan for years...a cheaper alternative route mostly used by students and budget travelers to get to Europe?

Yes - but believe it or not you get two free bags on Icelandair. Its inbetween WOW and Icelandair in terms of nickel and diming. Norwegian tends to have a bundle package add on which includes bag/food/seat selection for extra $$$

I take it that Cork has good connections to the rest of Europe?

Not really though its been rumored this flight will continue onto Barcelona.

There's strong rumors about a Norwegian/RyanAir partnership for transferring but RyanAir has service (mostly seasonal) to Spanish resorts, Great Britain, France, Italy, and for some reason two secondary destinations in Poland from Cork. Aer Lingus has some other destinations but you won't be able to fly on one ticket.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2015/09/logan_chief_terminal_e_must_grow

Massport has been talking to environmental agencies and East Boston community groups as it takes the first steps to get approval to add as many as seven new gates to Terminal E. The terminal, where every international flight arrives and most depart, has 11 gates now.

Looks as though the long awaited Terminal E expansion [aka "West Concourse" -- arriving passengers please check your compass] has been slipped through the radars soto voce in the guise of the A-380 gates project

from the Herald article{my highlights in [bold]}
Massport has been talking to environmental agencies and East Boston community groups as it takes the first steps to get approval to [add as many as seven new gates to Terminal E]. The terminal, where every international flight arrives and most depart, has 11 gates now.

....There were more than 28,000 flights in and out of Terminal E this year through the end of August, which is up 5.4 percent over the same period the previous year. [Roughly 6 million passengers used the terminal, up from 
2.2 million in 2008.]

The permitting process is expected to begin soon, and a Massport spokesman said [phase one of the expansion, which includes several of the proposed gates, is expected to be completed by 2021]. The spokesman said it was too early to estimate the cost of the expansion.

Last edited:
Could the placement of this new West Concourse (if that's the correct term) of Terminal E be similar to what was done at Terminal A meaning a new independent/separate mini-terminal (with seven gates in this case) connected to Terminal E via an underground tunnel?

Could the placement of this new West Concourse (if that's the correct term) of Terminal E be similar to what was done at Terminal A meaning a new independent/separate mini-terminal (with seven gates in this case) connected to Terminal E via an underground tunnel?

Atlantaden -- in the original plan the West Concourse [a bit of North End type of geography] was North & West of the majority of Terminal E

Hartsfield-Jackson-Atlanta-Airport-ATL-OverviewMap.jpg

Atlantaden -- in the original plan the West Concourse [a bit of North End type of geography] was North & West of the majority of Terminal E

Looking at this photo, couldn't they cut into some of the parking in front of E to expand the terminal to provide more concourse/club/food/shopping space?

Looking at this photo, couldn't they cut into some of the parking in front of E to expand the terminal to provide more concourse/club/food/shopping space?

The probably could, but what they really need are more gates -- air-side access connected to the Tarmac (and then more Customs / Immigration Area).

The probably could, but what they really need are more gates -- air-side access connected to the Tarmac (and then more Customs / Immigration Area).

The article connects the new gates to Southwest's departure, so it may be that the E-1 gates will be converted for international use (they already have El Al in there). If Massport built a sterile connection to CBP from there, JetBlue could use those gates for Caribbean and Central/South American arrivals. They don't need bigger gates than they have in C, but they're taking them up now.

I bet we're talking 3-4 gates on the C side and another 3-4 on the West Concourse footprint. That's why the hangar is coming down over there.

No doubt they need to add gates. I am thinking in addition to adding gates, how Massport could expand the terminal? A city like Boston should have facilities that are at least approaching world class.

I bet we're talking 3-4 gates on the C side and another 3-4 on the West Concourse footprint. That's why the hangar is coming down over there.

With the exception of the necessary connecting tunnel, the spot where the hanger was would seem to be the logical and the least disruptive location for aircraft and passengers since the new seven-gate mini-terminal would be built away from Terminal E.

With the exception of the necessary connecting tunnel, the spot where the hanger was would seem to be the logical and the least disruptive location for aircraft and passengers since the new seven-gate mini-terminal would be built away from Terminal E.

I'm skeptical that we're talking about a mini-terminal. More like a renovation and attached expansion. Is there some reason you think differently?

I'm skeptical that we're talking about a mini-terminal. More like a renovation and attached expansion. Is there some reason you think differently?

Massport is actively exploring the benefits of making it Terminal F or a part of E. No decision has been made yet. I've heard it's around 380,000 sf of space.

So this is really silly question... why is there no Terminal D? Is it a cargo terminal? Is there a development reason why?

So this is really silly question... why is there no Terminal D? Is it a cargo terminal? Is there a development reason why?

D is where the Security Badge Office & USO are "in C" now. The Back Bay Express now drops off/picks up in front of it. Formerly the Silver Line did.

You can actually clearly tell that it used to be a terminal from the decorative zig-zag canopy. The old D gates are E1C, D, E now and are accessed via E. Southwest most recently used them.

Last edited:

Busses -- There once was a terminal D -- it was / is very old -- that old looking 1+ story strip along the arrival level roadway from C to E as shown in the accompanying map

Now its mostly been absorbed into E as the former SW gates with a bit of its lower floor incorporated into C for baggage claim

Busses -- There once was a terminal D -- it was / is very old -- that old looking 1+ story strip along the arrival level roadway from C to E as shown in the accompanying map
Because D was the old international terminal from the Pan Am TWA 707 era and dated from before the metal-detector era (pre 1973) it had really cramped security on the first floor before you boarded the escalator to go up to the gates. I reckon I last flew from "Real D" on AirTran sometime like 2008 (Before the Southwest merger). The D designation was removed when Terminal E started handling all security and D was reduced to deliverying only C's bags.

Today, you know you're in the former D when:
1) The exterior curb is the crescent-shaped glass-and-black (has the "C" Silver Line stop)
2) The interior first floor has the vintage/wavy terrazzo with pictoral inlays (I can't exactly remember, but it has a bunch of obsolete references,
3) The interior upper level is gates E1C to E1E

Today, you know you're in the former D when:
1) The exterior curb is the crescent-shaped glass-and-black (has the "C" Silver Line stop)
2) The interior first floor has the vintage/wavy terrazzo with pictoral inlays (I can't exactly remember, but it has a bunch of obsolete references
1.) The SL stop has been moved to the main entrance/ground transport area of C, 2nd row from the terminal with the Massport buses. D is now the Back Bay Express stop. This was a welcomed change.

2.) There's a great Massport inlay in the floor in D.

The West Garage Expansion will be topped off on Wed, Oct 7. Just received the invite.

The article connects the new gates to Southwest's departure, so it may be that the E-1 gates will be converted for international use (they already have El Al in there). If Massport built a sterile connection to CBP from there, JetBlue could use those gates for Caribbean and Central/South American arrivals. They don't need bigger gates than they have in C, but they're taking them up now.

You are correct about the location of the old plan for the expanded concourse for E, it angled southwest of the current terminal in the direction of the old AA hangar. IIRC, it had the upper level and grade level roadways, and was 250-300 feet long.

I count 15 jetways for E on Google Maps (including the old Southwest gates). I do not believe the C to E connector adds any new jetway.

Back