Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I'm hoping you guys can answer a question I've been trying to find answers to. I know the Consolidated Rental Car facility will be opening at Logan in the next month or two. My question is what plans does Massport have for the existing car rental lots surrounding the new facility? Hotels? Park space? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm hoping you guys can answer a question I've been trying to find answers to. I know the Consolidated Rental Car facility will be opening at Logan in the next month or two. My question is what plans does Massport have for the existing car rental lots surrounding the new facility? Hotels? Park space? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

They built CONRAC on the taxi holding lot and possibly their bus maintenance facility, so I believe they will eat up some of the space. I don't think they have plans to build any of it up...

They built CONRAC on the taxi holding lot and possibly their bus maintenance facility, so I believe they will eat up some of the space. I don't think they have plans to build any of it up...

What/When is the most recent Master Plan? The last one I can remember seeing dated to the late 1990s when they planned all the stuff they built in the decade between (roughly) 1996 and 2006. It laid out things like the bigger Central Garage, the Hyatt & its new runway, the full two-level circulation, TWT-tie-ins, the pedestrian skywalks and new terminals A and E.

I haven't seen a plan that guided the more recent stuff like the CONRAC, the Cellphone Lot, the teardown of the old Delta offices and the long-term parking and the East Boston haul road.

Can anyone provide a link to the current plan?

What/When is the most recent Master Plan? The last one I can remember seeing dated to the late 1990s when they planned all the stuff they built in the decade between (roughly) 1996 and 2006. It laid out things like the bigger Central Garage, the Hyatt & its new runway, the full two-level circulation, TWT-tie-ins, the pedestrian skywalks and new terminals A and E.

I haven't seen a plan that guided the more recent stuff like the CONRAC, the Cellphone Lot, the teardown of the old Delta offices and the long-term parking and the East Boston haul road.

Can anyone provide a link to the current plan?

Not exactly. Massport actually does not produce "Master Plans" per se, since those FAA requirements apply only to airports which take Federal grant funding for projects and Massport funds itself through airline fees and parking. They produce "Environmental Data Reports" and "Environmental Status and Planning Reports," however, which kind of serve the same purpose without going into the same detail on operational and financial statistics.

The link to the most recent ESPR is here http://www.massport.com/environment/environmental_reporting/Pages/EnvironmentalReporting.aspx, but Google "Logan ESPR" or "Logan EDR" and you'll find PDFs. I believe CONRAC is in the newest ones, along with the Terminal B expansion, but that has its own EIR.

If i remember correctly, the current Avis/Dollar site will become a new taxi pool. The current national site will be a bus and livery idle area. All other areas will remain in support of the CONRAC. Thrifty will be moving their operations on site (from 1a), so that will take up some room. One of the main goals of the project was to reduce bus congestion at the terminals.

The consolidated busing will reduce approximately 40 buses from circling the terminals. Allowing the rental car companies to expand also means they will all shuttle less cars to/from their distribution centers. Hertz/Avis/Budget on 1a, Enterprise/National/Alamo right past the Chelsea Street Bridge.

Wall Street Journal reports Hainan Airlines is planning Beijing- Boston.

Would be another 787 route. Will be nice if it actually happens.

Could boston ever pull off an a380 on an eventual route? Assume the market demand and gates are there at Logan, can the runways handle a full a380 to Asia or is it the same 747 problem?

No Asian carrier would send the 380 to Logan. At least not any time in the next several years. Infrastructure limitations aside, it won't happen any time soon. I am going to assume the Logan runways can not handle a fully loaded 380.

Boston is a great city for 787 service to Asia. Boston should be seeing 787 service to a few more markets by 2020 as the plane makes long and thin routes financially viable.

Boston's best chance to see 380 service would be to London, Frankfurt, or maybe Paris. But even then, I don't think Air France, British Airways, or Lufthansa will be sending the plane to Boston any time soon.

Saw that Hainan Airlines will be starting direct 787 service between Boston and Beijing in April 2014.

No Asian carrier would send the 380 to Logan. At least not any time in the next several years. Infrastructure limitations aside, it won't happen any time soon. I am going to assume the Logan runways can not handle a fully loaded 380.

Boston is a great city for 787 service to Asia. Boston should be seeing 787 service to a few more markets by 2020 as the plane makes long and thin routes financially viable.

Boston's best chance to see 380 service would be to London, Frankfurt, or maybe Paris. But even then, I don't think Air France, British Airways, or Lufthansa will be sending the plane to Boston any time soon.

Korean Air would be at the top of my list. I suspect Middle East carriers will be joining as well.

Boston Logan couldn't handle a 380 to Europe with its runways and terminals. I think not having a 380 to Europe is also nice, because it allows for more frequency.

Wow, what a great grab for Logan and the entire Greater Boston region.

After a couple of years of rumors, the flights are finally loaded.

I wonder if they will send the 332, or the 333?

Either way this is great new for Logan on the heels of no-stop flights to Tokyo and Panama City over the last 16 months.

I know they run 330s on the IST-JFK route, so Boston will also be in range.

Also, Aeroflot is able to run 330s on Moscow to Miami, so the plane has some legs on it.

I know they run 330s on the IST-JFK route, so Boston will also be in range.

Also, Aeroflot is able to run 330s on Moscow to Miami, so the plane has some legs on it.

Would Emirates be able to fly non-stop from Dubai with its current aircraft when it comes to Boston?

Would Emirates be able to fly non-stop from Dubai with its current aircraft when it comes to Boston?

They have a variety of 777 and A340 types that could do it. The A340 is not the most economical plane however.

There have been more rumors about a DXB-UK-BOS flight right now which can be done with either plane as well.

BOS-UK-DXB would be fairly pointless. The talk I've heard on Boston-Dubai calls for an initial 777-200LR with a possible upgrade to 777-300ER if loads/yields justify it.

Perhaps by the time Emirates gets around to flying into Boston, they'll have their 350s online. Their 773ER fleet is going to be insane once all of their orders come in. I think they'll have something like 135-140 in their fleet.

Back