MassDOT Rail: Springfield Hub (East-West, NNERI, Berkshires, CT-Valley-VT-Quebec)

The EGE

Reaction score
What a con job. No stop in the second-most-populous city on the line outside current CR territory. Claiming less than one daily rider over 5 daily trains from 20k residents in Adams + North Adams. The lowest-cost option being over a billion dollars for a service that should require 2 small platforms, less than $25M of rolling stock, a few passing sidings, and targeted work on a few slow zones.

I don't think this is a high-priority rail investment - in agreement with everyone else, intercity bus with timed transfers at Greenfield and Wachusett would be a more effective service in the short turn. But this was clearly designed to kill any useful discussion.

lainpimicaja

Reaction score
What a con job. No stop in the second-most-populous city on the line outside current CR territory. Claiming less than one daily rider over 5 daily trains from 20k residents in Adams + North Adams. The lowest-cost option being over a billion dollars for a service that should require 2 small platforms, less than $25M of rolling stock, a few passing sidings, and targeted work on a few slow zones.

I don't think this is a high-priority rail investment - in agreement with everyone else, intercity bus with timed transfers at Greenfield and Wachusett would be a more effective service in the short turn. But this was clearly designed to kill any useful discussion.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those studies where the funding math changes a few more months into the Healey administration . . . similar to how Baker came around to East-West Rail after Neal dug his hooks in.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
The $1B proposed for northern tier would be better spent on:
1) raising speeds on SPG-BOS and running a L-shaped route up the Valley
2) bus-train hub at SPG or Palmer
3) upgrades to Fitchburg Line
4) Bus service