Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Millennium Place III | Hayward Place

It looks like they're at least trying to keep you from seeing the panel joints from a block away.

That cladding shouldnt be allowed in the city of boston in the 21st century

I'd rather be looking at raw concrete than that poor imitation of a brick wall.

I was studying it yesterday. I like Roman brick. But it would be so much better if precast brick panels were cast so that they interlocked in a naturalistic way rather than just pasted on with inappropriate joint lines.

It looks like they're at least trying to keep you from seeing the panel joints from a block away.

I was studying it yesterday. I like Roman brick. But it would be so much better if precast brick panels were cast so that they interlocked in a naturalistic way rather than just pasted on with inappropriate joint lines.

I take back my earlier statement. I just took a look at the full-sized original version of BeeLine's photo. The joints are terribly distracting in both their size and placement.

Not quite as bad as the new Fiterman Hall (ArchBoston thread here)- but truly another example of what happens when the approach is to merely invoke something, without putting forth the effort to do it properly.

Last edited:

Those seams look like crap -- totally mismatched bricks on either side. The brick portion of this facade makes up such a small fraction of the total exterior and they still couldn't even be bothered to do a decent job with it.

Of course it could be worse. One only has to walk a block down Washington to the Kensington site to see that.

Does anyone know the occupancy at 45 Province? I believe it is not full. Still not so sure of the demand for these units in DTX.

I am very curious to see how these sales go. If you are going to pay over a million for a condo in that part of town, why not live next door at the Ritz and enjoy all the amenities that property has to offer from the best health club in town to room service from the hotel restaurant etc? I can see the lower priced condos selling but have serious doubts about the ones over a million.

Does anyone know the occupancy at 45 Province? I believe it is not full. Still not so sure of the demand for these units in DTX.

I'm sure there is a plenty of demand for units, but perhaps not "these" units.
Better than half a $mil for what sounds like a studio???? No thank you. Plus condo fees.

Located near the intersection of Beacon Hill and the Financial District, 45 Province, with 137 residential units, was completed in 2009 at the bottom of the economic
downturn.
According to sales director Wayne Lopez, “45 Province is now 58 percent sold including closed and under-contract units.”
Lopez said 45 Province recently closed on two units at more than $1,000 per square foot.
Unit 2201 sold this week for $1,875,000 at $1,244 per square foot and Unit 2701 sold for $2.2 million at a $1,460 price per square foot. The average price per square
foot, year to date, prior to those two closings was $816.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1061135728

This is from June, so I don't know where it is now, but promising numbers.

I am very curious to see how these sales go. If you are going to pay over a million for a condo in that part of town, why not live next door at the Ritz and enjoy all the amenities that property has to offer from the best health club in town to room service from the hotel restaurant etc? I can see the lower priced condos selling but have serious doubts about the ones over a million.

If there are fewer amenities at MP3, than there are probably also lower condo fees. Some of these full-service buildings have absurd condo fees.
But I get your point. And if you can afford $1M condo you probably can afford an extra $800 per month or whatever in fees.

8083650831_0b8a181a75_b.jpg

Please excuse the wonkiness of these shots...I left the ISO up high from shooting in the dark last night and almost all the shots I took today look off like you see below. Damn it...

8083652459_e201ca4627_b.jpg

8083653814_43a56ee95b_b.jpg

8083655634_b297368e6f_b.jpg

8083656684_2c9a5ff0df_b.jpg

8083654101_6706562b04_b.jpg

8083663427_b630292078_b.jpg

8083655511_6c415d19ae_b.jpg

8083660202_26356e516f_b.jpg

8083651986_bbd60d269f_b.jpg

8083667201_d23b80d488_b.jpg

8083663492_499b6e21a8_b.jpg

8083671315_73439ebd1d_b.jpg

8083669615_426320dbd8_b.jpg

I'm so loving the sense of enclosure, in the first pic especially.

I don't care how shitty this building looks; it did the city a long-needed favor by existing.

So we all agree that this is better than a parking lot?

Brickwork worthy of an Arby's in Plano, TX.

8083663492_499b6e21a8_b.jpg

The prefab brick panels look like crap.

Walking around DTX today and took a look for the first time in a while. As others have said, the sense of enclosure is incredible here. It's now like very few places in the city in that regard, especially now that the shadows are lengthening and more of the day down there is spent in darkness.

I have come to love the massing of this project, and I wish it were a bit taller. The brick can go, though.

How many stories until this tops out, anyways?

From today:
photo_oct_16__3_57_59_pm.jpg

How many stories until this tops out, anyways?

From today:
photo_oct_16__3_57_59_pm.jpg

It's at about half of its final height right now. So it won't be terribly tall, but I think it'll just barely pass as a tower rather than a stumpy mid-rise building... barely.

Back