Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Millennium Place III | Hayward Place

Where are the photos zoomed in on the reflection of the Paramount sign in the glass, guys?

One thing I'm curious about...looking at the renderings, it appears that the penthouse units have roof terraces located above the residential unit, and there is some sort of masonry structure on the roof to house the stairways to access them. Why wouldn't these structures be considered a 16th floor?

As this project sits poised to take its place as a street-deadening background building, I wonder if we would have preferred this.

As this project sits poised to take its place as a street-deadening background building, I wonder if we would have preferred this.

Argh, why must you remind me of that V-Ray-rendered beauty?! I had forgotten about it and learned to accept the current iteration that is going up.

Because no large-footprint glass building in Boston history has been a streetwall deadening background building?

Not sure why that building would be less street-deadening. It's a beautiful rendering though. Also, why would any residential building with ground floor retail be street deadening compared to the parking lot that was there before?

Beautiful? Are we looking at the same rendering? Welcome to Downtown Crossing, the coldest place you have ever been.

I have my issues with the current iteration but it's waaaay better than that glass turd.

The existing Millenium Towers prove that glass doesn't necessarily preclude a miserable, blah result.

What we're getting is a vast improvement over the two existing projects. In an ideal world, they'd use real brick, make it twice as tall and the MBTA would gladly let them reactivate the closed station entrance. But I'll be happy with this.

And let's be real. The nicer the rendering, the further from reality. Especially when they feature shiny, clear glass.

Beautiful? Are we looking at the same rendering? Welcome to Downtown Crossing, the coldest place you have ever been.

I have my issues with the current iteration but it's waaaay better than that glass turd.
The rendering itself, not the building.

Looks like the Intercontinental minus the vent stacks. I'll take what's being built over another IC.

Pretty much everyone is agreed that the ideal solution for this lot would have been 4 discrete (but connected) buildings each emphasizing their vertical rather than horizontal, right?

Last edited:

Pretty much everyone is agreed that the ideal solution for this lot would have been 4 discrete (but connected) buildings each emphasizing their vertical rather than horizontal, right?

I'd have preferred a "U" shaped building with the open end of the "U" actually facing the Paramount, the legs of the "U" at 6 stories stepping up to a high rise component at the bottom of the "U", and a courtyard/open area within the "U" for events, premieres, cafes, whatever. But I'm probably imagining Hollywood of the 30's.

^ I love everything you just wrote, especially the part about 1930s Hollywood.

"Original" proposal was actually U shaped. I recall it looking to be brick-clad and roughly 20 stories. Looking...

I'd have preferred a "U" shaped building with the open end of the "U" actually facing the Paramount, the legs of the "U" at 6 stories stepping up to a high rise component at the bottom of the "U", and a courtyard/open area within the "U" for events, premieres, cafes, whatever. But I'm probably imagining Hollywood of the 30's.

Meh, that sounds great, but it would have broken the streetwall. That plaza would have to be mega successful or else it would become the bane of DTX.

20121214-PC140143_zps5b89b7e1.jpg

I like the way the Paramount sign shines in those windows ... but will the people who live behind those windows agree?

That's why God invented blackout shades.

Btw, great photo, DowntownDave.

Back