Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Millennium Place III | Hayward Place

Despite its size, the building has a strong presence when looking down from the commons. It also has an outsized effect on filling in the view walking up to dtx on washington. The fan effect fits with the road bend nicely. While I would have preferred a taller project since its right in the city core, its so far better than expected and will play a good supporting role in the area.

I like the yellow brick. Reminds me of some of the old Art Deco buildings in the Midwest.

Despite its size, the building has a strong presence when looking down from the commons. It also has an outsized effect on filling in the view walking up to dtx on washington. The fan effect fits with the road bend nicely. While I would have preferred a taller project since its right in the city core, its so far better than expected and will play a good supporting role in the area.

Just a nitpick - it's "the common", not commons. Same with the public garden, although I hear that mistake less.

OT: despite the terrible panels of fake brick, I like this building the more it goes up.

I agree. I work on Avenue de Lafayette and the building's presence is very strong from this angle, too. Hopefully the retail won't be left vacant for long. Maybe an increase in activity will help fill the corner retail space of the Lafayette Corporate Center too.

I like the yellow brick. Reminds me of some of the old Art Deco buildings in the Midwest.

Reminds me of the brick at Columbia Point before they red washed it.

Chicago is full of buildings with a similar color of brick especially the vast neighborhoods full of yellow/beige brick bungalows. I'm guessing it must be related to the characteristics of the local clay in the soil historically used for making bricks.

Last edited:

Yup this yellow roman brick is much more at home in the Midwest than here, yet I like it set against those heavy black windows. This is proving to be a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts...can't wait to see it in person again.

I agree. I work on Avenue de Lafayette and the building's presence is very strong from this angle, too. Hopefully the retail won't be left vacant for long. Maybe an increase in activity will help fill the corner retail space of the Lafayette Corporate Center too.

The LCC is about to undergo yet another renovation completely reworking the retail components.

Is this the 3rd or 4th time? In the words of a great philosopher:

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed." -Jerome Howard

Is this the 3rd or 4th time? In the words of a great philosopher:

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed." -Jerome Howard

That’s definitely Millennium philosophy.
It’s like they are the generic brand of Development for the city of Boston

That’s definitely Millennium philosophy.
It’s like they are the generic brand of Development for the city of Boston

His post was about the Lafayette Corporate Center/Lafayette Place. Millennium is not affiliated with the LCC. It's managed by Jones Lang La Salle. They have also renamed it... AGAIN. It's now the Lafayette City Center.

To answer toby's question, It's the 3rd time.

All the floorplans are actually available to see. Quite interesting. The first floor is what's of interest to us, but the rest of the building is pretty interesting too!
http://lafayetteccboston.com/availabilities.html

Lafayette Center set to get major makeover
By Casey Ross, The Boston Globe | November 6, 2012
Yet another prominent downtown Boston property is about to undergo a dramatic transformation.

The owner of Lafayette Corporate Center, one of the largest commercial buildings on Washington Street in Downtown Crossing, is seeking to refresh the complex with new and larger retail stores, a redesigned lobby, and restaurants to serve a growing residential population in the district.
Executives with The Abbey Group expect the changes will attract new tenants to replace the main occupant, State Street Corp., which is moving to the Seaport in 2014, and will also position the 610,000-square-foot property to take advantage of the downtown’s blossoming revitalization.

“Instead of just a corporate office center, we want it to be more mixed-use with retail and restaurants,” said The Abbey Group’s chief executive, Robert Epstein, who added that the building has been renamed Lafayette City Center to reflect it’s broader focus.

In recent months, Epstein said, his company has received interest in the property from large-footprint retailers, several restaurants, and potential office users. He said no new tenants have been signed.

The property is situated at the center of a rapidly changing section of Washington Street where downtown merges with Chinatown. Formerly a drug- and crime-infested *area known as the Combat Zone, it now boasts newly renovated *theaters and some of the most *expensive residences in the city.

Two large residential towers are under construction nearby, and a third is supposed to get underway next year at the former Filene’s property a few blocks away. The Abbey Group is seeing increasing sales activity at 45 Province, a condominium building it opened in 2009 during the depths of the economic downturn. The building now has 70 percent of its units sold or under agreement, executives said.

Meanwhile, the area has also attracted many new retail shops and restaurants, including the eatery Back Deck and Avery Provision Co., an upscale grocer.

Early next year, Walgreen Co. is scheduled to open a new emporium that will include a hair and nail salon, a sushi bar, and an expansive natural foods section with locally sourced produce and specialty items.
“We’re getting tremendous interest from businesses that have never really looked at this area before,” said Rosemarie Sansone, president of the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, an association of neighborhood property owners.

While property values and rents have increased in recent years, the downtown remains an affordable alternative to the Back Bay and the red-hot Seaport District, where the supply of commercial space is rapidly dwindling.
The six-story Lafayette City Center will have 450,000 square feet available by the summer of 2014, when State Street moves to a new office complex it is constructing in the Seaport. The Lafayette building currently has small strip of retail tenants that includes Eddie Bauer, Citizens Bank, Expressions, and the healthy fast-food chain UFood Grill.

Executives with The Abbey Group said they are talking with retailers about two- and three-story options that could dramatically reshape the property. Also under consideration is a new restaurant at the corner of Avenue de Lafayette and Washington Street, where the property faces the Millennium Place condominiums under construction.

“We want our building to look and feel like the environment it’s now sitting in,” said Epstein. “It’s becoming one of the premier areas of the city.”

Thanks. Maybe 3rd time lucky.

The Washington Street ground floor facade pushes the would be customer away. The slablike face exerts a repellant force. If they could just penetrate some parts with recesses and in others, spill out on to the side walk. The effect might arrest the passerby.

I know about the high parking garage ceiling vis a vis the sidewalk, but that isn't the problem. It is the lack of any architectural feature that says "hey, turn your head, look in here." Right now it says "pass on by; pass on by; pass on by..."

That space at the the corner of Avenue de Lafayette and Washington Street has literally been empty for years. I don't think it's had a tenant since it became the Lafayette Corporate Center. Whenever I walk by it it makes me ponder the economics of empty retail spaces in the city, and how property owners can afford to let spaces be vacant for so long.

I assume most potential tenants are scared off by the wonkiness of the space with its weird varying floor heights. That is probably first on their list of fixes.

We're starting to wrap up the main structural part of this construction project. The floor height has reached 15 stories - so with the exception of roof terraces, which were not counted as part of the floor count - we're about as high as we are going to go.

I really like how this building has filled in what was a dead spot in this neighborhood. The impact is certainly palpable in front of the Paramount Theatre. As I was taking pictures, two people approached me and said they couldn't believe how they got such a large and significant building on a seemingly small parking lot.

People definitely seem to be noticing this one.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm a tad bit confused here.

How did they start building this with the bricks I shat, when I had not shat bricks until I saw the shitty bricks they were building with?

Bricks and shit aside, I'm pleased with this building in the aggregate.

Would be interesting to see the view in jdrinboston's first photo next to the same view in 1999.

Honestly, this is about as good of an infill project that we could have asked for. I think the view on Washington looks fantastic from pictures.

Creating streetscape:
20121212-PC120048.jpg

20121212-PC120043.jpg

20121212-PC120003.jpg

Removing the forms:

20121212-PC120017.jpg

It's about as good as we could have hoped to expect, but I could have asked for something much, much better.

Back