Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Hayward Place

Again, rich people who live in the city take transit, but the difference is that they like to have a car so that they don't have to take transit all the time, particularly when they want to go to places which are much more easily accessible by car.

A lot of these people love to walk to restaurants, theatres, etc. and go visit their friends' mansion in Wellesley, or the Natick Collection, or their Cape house without having to endure waits for the commuter rail on weekend schedules, shuttle buses, Plymouth & Brockton coaches, or the idea of bumming rides off friends. They have a car, don't use it every day, and need a place to store it when they don't.

Again, rich people who live in the city take transit, but the difference is that they like to have a car so that they don't have to take transit all the time, particularly when they want to go to places which are much more easily accessible by car.

A lot of these people love to walk to restaurants, theatres, etc. and go visit their friends' mansion in Wellesley, or the Natick Collection, or their Cape house without having to endure waits for the commuter rail on weekend schedules, shuttle buses, Plymouth & Brockton coaches, or the idea of bumming rides off friends. They have a car, don't use it every day, and need a place to store it when they don't.

Exactly

Just found out one of my friends is currently on co-op with the developer responsible for this project. Maybe he could provide a little more insight as to why they are not reopening the MBTA entrance (the firm took pix of it from inside last week).

Last edited:

this.

Article on 2nd to last page of Metro. Nothing new mentioned.

Well, we're coming into mid-June; time for ground breaking! Is anyone in the area that wants to keep an eye on things once in a while? I *might* be able to swing by tomorrow, not sure. I'll be surprised to find any signs of development.

^ If the lot is still open ask them when it's closing.

Well, we're coming into mid-June; time for ground breaking! Is anyone in the area that wants to keep an eye on things once in a while? I *might* be able to swing by tomorrow, not sure. I'll be surprised to find any signs of development.

That's good news. I hope the parking lot stays longer than Menino stays mayor. This should be a bigger project, but a low rise portion along Washington St.

Last edited:

So I walked over to find no hint of anything to come besides that mockup which has been there for ages. I asked the parking attendant when construction was going to start and he said it was pushed off a year. So as far as he knows it is June 2012. He claims it was pushed off because of other area projects (he gestured south while saying this (Kensington?) and the north (Bromfield?) and the city or developers or someone did not want too much going on at once).

I'm predicting another notice of change and public meeting within that time frame, hopefully to increase the size (I'm assuming the economy will show signs of picking up, and Mellenium Partners Inc will want to cash in).

From the day I spoke with the parking attendant:

5850895859_79646274c0_b.jpg

5850896547_a84b85f46d_b.jpg

5850897235_2417392936_b.jpg

5850897995_661d110bb0_b.jpg

What a void. There's a desperate need for a good project here.

EDIT: I feel like I asked this before in a different thread... but what used to be here? Before the parking lot.

^^^This used to be the old RH White department store which was later occupied by the old Raymond's department store in its final years after it relocated from further up Washington Street.

Probably not the right thread but did you happen to walk by the Kensington site? The last time I went I remember some steel rods were inserted into the ground but I don't remember if it was there previously.

^^^This used to be the old RH White department store which was later occupied by the old Raymond's department store in its final years after it relocated from further up Washington Street.

And it then became a parking garage, which was then torn down in anticipation of Laf. Pl Phase II/"Boston Crossing" which never actually happened, so they paved it over.

I am going to be very unpopular saying this, but building there will make that area/street corner exceptionally cramped. That's a very narrow street and to me, that plot is perfect for a small park to accentuate the theater row across the street.

I'm not one of those "greenspace" crazies, but I feel that particular location could benefit from one.

JMHO. Fire away, I'll duck.

One of the previous proposals for a tower at this site featured a C shaped plan with a small plaza facing the theaters. This was before the BRA murdered the street level retail and stuck in the awful Ritz Towers style loading zone. All because keeping little trust fund embarrassments, lazy valets, crabby livery or cab drivers, and coke dealers to the elite from blocking traffic is more important than good street-walls.

I'd favor a larger-than-usual setback here to make room for a small plaza, but not turning the entire parcel into a park. Perhaps the building could have a straight front instead of strictly following the curve of the street line?

I thought they were going to start working on the site after the summer, am I wrong?

Peak up a few posts. Here's a little excerpt from my update:

I asked the parking attendant when construction was going to start and he said it was pushed off a year. So as far as he knows it is June 2012. He claims it was pushed off because of other area projects (he gestured south while saying this (Kensington?) and the north (Bromfield?) and the city or developers or someone did not want too much going on at once).

Back