Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is the opportunity (but it probably won't happen) to build high in Charlestown between I-93 and New Rutherford, creating a new high spine.

That might require a fight, though I like the idea. But the post you responded to is wrong anyway, there is still a lot of opportunity following the Orange Line out beyond Ruggles. I could envision at some point the Tremont/Columbus Ave. corridor getting a bit of the Fenway treatment. It is starting to happen, but there is quite a ways to go, meaning still a lot of development opportunity.

ETA: my bid on the penthouse is $19 million, since we've got a competition going.

Last edited:
Walked around the site after work today.

New canopy going in at Hawley St
M3R1Ft4.jpg

T entrance on Summer St is gone, all that remains is the steel structure:
ffROJ0s.jpg

Q8oddYO.jpg

Down to one entrance under the site:
TQHiwhd.jpg

RIqqrdi.jpg

3zqBU8U.jpg

sKdkFDp.jpg

Not sure if this is the best answer, plywood all the way to the curb:
Rwc7VAX.jpg

Just a quick update...no pics unfortunately..., but the basement construction of the tower is going full force. Most of the supports and cores on the first level have either been poured or framed out. In fact, workers on the Washington Street side of the hole were beginning to install forms for the second sub-floor level last night and the concrete pumpers were going strong. This was at about 5:30 p.m. (Two cement trucks passed me on my walk from Hawley Street to State Street so they must have gone pretty late last night)

I walk by this site nightly and there is always something new to see. It's really a fun process to watch.

Has anyone noticed what they're doing to keep the "megapour" from heating up too much? I imagine a pour that size would need to be covered with blankets and kept wet for 14 days or so....

^Regarding that, I wonder if they installed any sort of piped cooling system within the rebar. Construction workers used a similar process recently when pouring a huge foundation (the world's longest continuous pour) in Los Angeles.

Just a quick update...no pics unfortunately..., but the basement construction of the tower is going full force. Most of the supports and cores on the first level have either been poured or framed out. In fact, workers on the Washington Street side of the hole were beginning to install forms for the second sub-floor level last night and the concrete pumpers were going strong. This was at about 5:30 p.m. (Two cement trucks passed me on my walk from Hawley Street to State Street so they must have gone pretty late last night)

I walk by this site nightly and there is always something new to see. It's really a fun process to watch.

They were pouring concrete as late as 7pm last night. Despite the furious work schedule, I'm still going with August before we start to see this poke above ground.

Has anyone noticed what they're doing to keep the "megapour" from heating up too much? I imagine a pour that size would need to be covered with blankets and kept wet for 14 days or so....

Is that a standard move? I drive by the 128 widening project often and notice once they're done building a bridge deck, they have small sprinklers all over it running non-stop.

Is that a standard move? I drive by the 128 widening project often and notice once they're done building a bridge deck, they have small sprinklers all over it running non-stop.

Yes, it's called "wet curing". DOT requires all highway bridges to be wet cured. It keeps the temperature down and slows down the curing process which creates a stronger finished product.

Last edited:
All concrete. And I just walked by the site and an report that work on the second subterranean level has begun in earnest. At 5:30, the site was a beehive of activity.

How many subterranean levels are there supposed to be before this starts going vertical?

IIRC, there are 5 underground levels.

I'm pretty sure it's only three on the schematic I've seen, which would be flush with the number of underground levels on the Burnham. Based on where they are setting the second level today, there's no way they could fit five down there.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's only three on the schematic I've seen, which would be flush with the number of underground levels on the Burnham. Based on where they are setting the second level today, there's no way they could fit five down there.

My bad, it's only 3 according to the section and plans in the NPC.

B1 - Retail (Burnham)/Parking (Tower)
B2 - Parking
B3 - Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back