Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDTFsZTWEAI4LnH.jpg:large

This looks like an airport... with cheese.

In those pictures that DHZ took, two posts back, there's a really nice vertical striation created by the three places where the façade does a short, angled step-back, then continues along a parallel plane. On the day of DHZ's pics, the cloudy sky meant this created a contrast between a dark grey and a light gray. Previous posts might have captured this effect and I missed it, but I think the glass wasn't high enough yet (those glass installers are roaring along).

When this is done, I think those vertical striations are going to look fantastic in certain weather / sunlight conditions, dependent on the viewer's angle. The Hancock does this famously, on the sides with the angled setbacks. I think this building will too, so that for some viewers with a certain POV, they'll sometimes see it reflecting a deep dark evening blue on the main large faces while the three striations are blazing orange from the setting sun. The other side of the building may do likewise with morning sun - I'm not sure how many long unimpeded views there'll be of that façade.

If one is really lucky, and standing in just the right place on the north side of the Charles, one might get to see this building and the Hancock creating this same effect simultaneously.

If it's good cheese, the display area can look like anything it wants.

Ballpark 26-28 stories when I counted it on Friday -- so that's halfway in terms of stories

Uberstories are taller than the middle though shorter than the pedestal -- so also about halfway to the roof

Does anyone know if this is on higher ground than 100 Federal?

Does anyone know if this is on higher ground than 100 Federal?

Nothing extreme.

On the Hawley side, "ground level" is marginally higher (few feet maybe) than 100 Federal. Franklin slopes upward gently from Federal toward Hawley. On the Washington Side, "ground level" is a bit higher, as Franklin between Hawley & Washington slopes upward toward Washington/DTX, maybe 10'.

I keep looking at the progress of this building and saying to myself, "Please let this be the project that forces DTX to live up to all of its potential. Please."

I keep looking at the progress of this building and saying to myself, "Please let this be the project that forces DTX to live up to all of its potential. Please."

Despite working next door for 2 years now, every time I see the tower I still can't believe that the Hole is actually gone. That's how deep the emotional scars went for all of us Bostonians. It inspires shock and awe every time it appears as you turn a corner or look in the sky.

I think you're being a tad Millennium Tower-centric (understandable given the hype behind the project and the intense melodrama the Vornado iteration generated). This project, in tandem with several others--

Godfrey Hotel (almost done)
Congress Square (quoting groundbreaking for fall)
Winthrop Square Garage--perhaps by 2020, a 750-foot pinnacle with hotel/residential use?
1 Bromfield--remember, they were quoted in the paper saying, "we'll resume development once the Filene's project restarts"

Will achieve the desired effect. Certainly MTower has a disproportionately catalyzing effect. But to decontextualize it from all these other projects within a few hundred feet of it is just odd...

Nothing extreme.

On the Hawley side, "ground level" is marginally higher (few feet maybe) than 100 Federal. Franklin slopes upward gently from Federal toward Hawley. On the Washington Side, "ground level" is a bit higher, as Franklin between Hawley & Washington slopes upward toward Washington/DTX, maybe 10'.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

I ask because this means that the Millennium Tower is basically 100 feet taller than 100 Federal, which is a good benchmark to keep in mind and a nice thought to have as we watch this thing rise.

Not quite. Probably around 300'.

With it topping the 101 Arch St. crown now, obviously the next benchmark is 33 Arch St. I have a copy of the elevations and it shows 33 Arch St. as 415'.

So at the current pace, this blue behemoth will be on-level with its sibling (in color, at least) right around the Glorious Fourth, no?

Despite working next door for 2 years now, every time I see the tower I still can't believe that the Hole is actually gone. That's how deep the emotional scars went for all of us Bostonians. It inspires shock and awe every time it appears as you turn a corner or look in the sky.

When I lived in Cambridge and my wife and I went to the city, if we had to be in DTX for something, I refused to walk past the hole. It made me so disgusted.

DTX was okay closer to Chinatown, but it looked like it was bombed out by the big "hole in the ground."

I'll be visiting in June and I hope to get a good look at it then!

Personally, I have a hard time thinking Millennium Tower is going to "save" DTX when it's been impossible to get a seat in a DTX restaurant for the past five years. Not to discount that the tower isn't going to be an improvement and change the situation down there even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back