Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is turning into my weekly obsession here.... From 5/2

7IEhCD.png

Not totally certain, but I believe that I saw the top of the crane while I was coming down RT-2 between Belmont and Cambridge

Any of you guys with DSLRs ever make it down to Porter Square? I was sitting outside the station waiting for friends when I looked down Somerville Ave and you can see MT going up way off into the distance. It was already past twilight, but I'm wondering how it'll look from Porter if anyone happens to routinely walk through there.

Regarding Roche Bros, I think the excitement over it has died down a bit. I've gone in a couple of days for lunch, including on opening day, and the supermarket itself never really seemed THAT insane. I may have my perceptions completely skewed having partially grown up in New York City and spending a lot of time in Manhattan during high school, college, and after college, but it seemed like a normal lunch or evening shopping trip rush at most any Whole Foods in Manhattan that I've been to - TriBeCa, Columbus Circle, Union Square, etc. That's my benchmark and I expect that level of traffic for DTX considering all the office towers filled with thousands of workers during the day.

It'll be interesting to see how people react/cooperate with the automated register marshalling system for the check out queue when they finally get that working. When I last went in on Thursday, I commented to my teller about them manually directing people to open registers in spite of the system, but it seems like they're working out technical kinks. In the presence of the traffic marshal, it seemed like only 6 the 50-some-odd people I watched go through the queue as I sat and ate my lunch that day actually looked up and noticed the monitor for the next open register.

The entrance to the subway at mezzanine level is really convenient and a great way to get into the supermarket if you're already there or if you take advantage of the less crowded stairwell into the station complex to avoid the lunch crush trying to grab prepared foods in the tiny ground floor stall. Many of the prepared foods up there are also available on the lower level.

Side note about the sushi - it is by far better-tasting, more fresh, and more value for your money than any of the sushi restaurants in the entire DTX/financial district (if you're getting more traditional nigirizushi). Also the only place downtown I know of that sells tamagoyaki for takeaway (usually you have this as a cheaper, but tasty filler so you don't blow your whole meal budget by trying to fill up on nigiri alone). Wonderful variety; this extends to the fruits - and yes, cheeses - they have available here. I'm excited to see what else they can possibly add when they knock out the far wall and extend it under MT.

How does it compare to the Walgreens sushi? (I'm serious! I've had the Walgreens sushi multiple times and thought it was actually quite good.)

Any of you guys with DSLRs ever make it down to Porter Square? I was sitting outside the station waiting for friends when I looked down Somerville Ave and you can see MT going up way off into the distance. It was already past twilight, but I'm wondering how it'll look from Porter if anyone happens to routinely walk through there.

I posted a picture of this angle a couple weeks ago;

http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=230901&postcount=5744

I'm sure the tower's gotten a lot bigger since then.

I was on the 14th floor of the Fed today looking toward MT. It already really stands out from everything else in its immediate vicinity. It will look absolutely monstrous from that vantage point once it tops off.

These are the developments that make all of the filler buildings fill their role. A skyline full of boring short boxes looks terrible, but a skyline with plenty of short dull boxes and then an appropriate ratio of taller buildings that look great works wonders. Once a couple well designed plateau breakers poke through the skyline, the fillers really do their part by filling in the gaps and not stealing the shine of the gems. Not every buildings has to have a crown, spire, some twisting design and other gimmicks cluttering the skyline like Dubai has done. The best skylines have the neutral toned non abrasive buildings that you don't even really notice making up a nice background while your eye focuses on the Hancock's, ESB, Woolworth's of the world.

First off, quoting these because they are good and shouldn't end a page.

Time for a new perspective! From this weekend:

IPzP9WV.jpg

From Newbury St:
16759428754_88ce4de1a2_b.jpg

Not totally certain, but I believe that I saw the top of the crane while I was coming down RT-2 between Belmont and Cambridge

From the park on that same hill (Robbins Farm Park) you can see the whole building. Probably the same from Route 2, just tough to make it out while you're driving. Not great pics but illustrate the point.

^ Awesome - Is the first one from the Athenaeum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back