Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

Pedestrians need to know street names too -- especially in heavily touristed areas such as this one.

Nothing new. Toronto has had them for decades:

4044853793_e9cf25d0fc_b.jpg

Of course, they're entirely unnecessary. They were considered a novelty in the 60s but there's a reason they remain rare there today (only part of which was the fact that they had to use incandescent bulbs back then).

I noticed some new ones in NYC last month....they were a huge help walking out of a subway station at night.

DSC01490_zps23302937.jpg

I would make them more like the Toronto sign, in that theyre not at the same level. if you have one higher up than the other, you can read them both at the same time.

Like this.

streetsign_zps10e988c6.jpg

All the Hub areas of this region have them , at night time it makes navigating the cities easier....

Love the new illuminated signs. Believe it or not, as I age (60) my eyesight sucks at night and anything that will help me see where I'm going I'm all for! I also love the new LED street lights around the city and in the Common and Pub. Garden...so much better than the orange-glow lights. It's time Boston and NE in general begin to realize that street signs on every corner for each street every time is indispensible to smart planning and modern civilization. Lit signs on major roads as we find in CA and FL are great, esp. for out of towners.

Illuminated signs are fantastic (and these look good!). Why so much unnecessary resistance to upgrades?

Ok, cool. I've personally never had any problems reading street signs hanging under well lit lamp posts but if this solves a problem for others then it is a good thing.

I have seen illuminated signs in various other cities and think they're a good idea. Sometimes the street lighting isn't good enough to illuminate the standard street signs at night.

And more public sector jobs dedicated to replacing and servicing them!

I would make them more like the Toronto sign, in that theyre not at the same level. if you have one higher up than the other, you can read them both at the same time.

Like this.

streetsign_zps10e988c6.jpg

What's going on in this picture? Did the car just crash into a tipped over phone booth?

Glad to see I am not the only person who isn't upset by illuminated street signs. Seems like a useful thing for certain areas. Is Boston using LED street lights now? I'm seeing more of those around here and I appreciate their brightness and non-yellowness.

Glad to see I am not the only person who isn't upset by illuminated street signs. Seems like a useful thing for certain areas. Is Boston using LED street lights now? I'm seeing more of those around here and I appreciate their brightness and non-yellowness.

Slowly they are installing them all around the city. I like them, they seem to be brighter than the older orange ones. Anything that creates better and brighter street lighting is good in my book in the city.

Hate 'em. It looks as though they will be less intrusive, but the ones in Los Angeles are butt-ugly.

While they're at it why don't they illuminate the T sign.

The Financial District firms migrating to the Seaport...

The Back Bay firms migrating to the Financial District...

The city's chief shopping hub migrating from downtown to the Back Bay...

It's like a real estate round robin.

Please begin construction so we have something punching through our stumpy skyline. should have been 800', however.

<Cue flame rage in 5...4...3...2...1...>

Does it bother anyone else that the low-rise portion of the proposed Filene's development doesn't line up with the roof-line of the existing building? I wish we could have another Atlantic Wharf type of situation here, where the tower could be wrapped in older facades that match more closely the buildings around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back