Millennium Tower (Filene's) -Discussion and Photo Thread

Re: Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Gdyw62M.jpg

The horror! Think of the children!!

The horror! Think of the children!!

What I find interesting is the near total shadow of the rest of the Common and Public Garden. How's that "shadow law" working of for you all?

What I find interesting is the near total shadow of the rest of the Common and Public Garden. How's that "shadow law" working of for you all?

Do we start legislating clouds now? Have a look at Kendall or any other patchwork of dark on the horizon. ;)

Can you understand the difference between shadows and "shade"?

Can you understand the difference between shadows and "shade"?

Shade happens in the summer.

Shadows happen in the winter.

(Kidding ... / not kidding...)

Trees make shade. New buildings make shadows.

Not that I am a fan of the shadow laws, but if I understand them correctly, all the buildings casting shadow in this image are within the Midtown Cultural District and are therefore exempt from the shadow laws. Can anyone corroborate this??

Not that I am a fan of the shadow laws, but if I understand them correctly, all the buildings casting shadow in this image are within the Midtown Cultural District and are therefore exempt from the shadow laws. Can anyone corroborate this??

Yes, located in the Midtown Cultural District so exempt; some also predate the law; and of course some of that shadow is probably clouds.

I was just pointing out that the NIMBY magical thinking "shadow law" does not in fact protect the Common and Public Garden from shadows. As the saying goes, shade happens.

38093134422_1780bf24e0_h.jpg

Even though they make the building more distinctive, I can’t say I like the decks at the top... they always make the building look unfinished, or at least not quite right... like vents that should’ve been hidden.

I do, to each their own. I think it makes it unique vs other glass towers with smooth facades. It also echoes the black stripe that the Hancock has across its upper floor. I think it kind of creates and interesting top to the tower with the crown above that. To me its unique which makes it a recognizably Boston tower and I think it looks good. I honestly think this building is perfect. Its centrally located position in the downtown skyline filled a major gap and makes everything around it better. Its clearly the crown of downtown when looking at downtown from the west. I think this tower is perfect and Im extremely happy that we were lucky enough to get this. Before the economy tanked we were going to get something much smaller that was an anywhere usa tower. It was really short and would have only added to the stumpiness of downtown. Instead we waited and did it right. Everything is perfect from sewing DTX back together, the ground level retail, upgrading of the original Filenes structure that has become a major destination. I think its perfect, this and Hayward Pl which is another absolutely perfect building did wonders for the area and it has gone from the combat zone to one of the better places to be within downtown.

I honestly think this building is perfect.

might be, if they ever capped the roof as promised. still looks incomplete and silly when approaching the city from the south.

Can we retire this thread or something? I guess I could stop checking it, but the building has been complete for some time now and there have been quite a few pictures posted of it already. What's left to discuss?

One more!
38150143794_e13763f642_k.jpg

Last edited:

Can we retire this thread or something?

...not when people are going to be posting incredibly beautiful and unique shots like the one mcus29 just posted...

If you don't want to look at it, don't open the thread!

meanwhile, mcus29, thank you! That is gorgeous!

grat shot! if this thread is shut down since MT is no longer "under construction" we should have a "Millenium Tower of the Day" over in the other forum, just as there's one for the JHT.

^ Photos like this is why this thread should remain open.

^^the Pierce thread, however..... :rolleyes:

Back