National Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shhh. I come to this thread to let out my rage at Trump voters(rifle) because I have to be somewhat civil with my trump voting co-workers. Ill still tell my co-workers they are wrong when they spew Alex Jones conspiracy theory horseshit, but I avoid telling them they're gullible idiots.

XujHL.gif

Isn't this redundant? You're telling people to take their politics from a political thread to another political thread. Now you're going to have two political dumpster fires.

If you count the local politics thread, we actually have three.

This new thread is for ALL of the silly conflicts that occur in the threads. We have threads about new construction where people start shitting on each other. Maybe having a thread like this will get the silly shit out of the good threads and return the conversations back to the main topics. Maybe we can actually have intelligent discussion again - even in the national politics thread!

I'm confused, this thread was made in the first place as the dumpster for political rants. Also I don't think current national politics are making enough sense for intelligent discussion on the topic.

And I'm not sure if you are currently located in Malaysia, but in case you are: this thread has been pretty civil compared to the political conversations in real life. And where I'm surrounded by team red working in a blue collar field, I have to sit and deal with the obscenely racist, sexist, and anti Semitic things that come out of people's mouths as they praise trump. Oddly Trump himself of all the things he's said he's never come off anti Semite at all- I think those flames are coming from the talking heads who support him.

Last edited:
I have come to believe that Rifle is actually a rather "skilled" troll, sitting at his keyboard and laughing at our responses to what is obviously blatant intentional stupidity.

Btw, for people like Rifleman who thinks higher education is just a boondoggle:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/09/pf/college/college-degree-payoff/index.html

Kent, you're a bit aggressive on this. Higher ed isn't for everyone. You can learn a vocation/trade and make just as much as a college grad (or more) in certain fields. That's why we really need to ensure we are also focusing on vocational training at the secondary levels in addition to making college affordable & accessible.

Plus, ~12 years to pay off a very large investment is pretty rough for people just starting their income earning years.

As a fellow NU alum, with a practical degree (business), I really wish my college slef hadn't been so confident I'd be able to pay off all my debt easily. The degree is most certainly inflated in cost; I know, I saw them game the rankings when I was there.

Plus, ~12 years to pay off a very large investment is pretty rough for people just starting their income earning years.

As a fellow NU alum, with a practical degree (business), I really wish my college slef hadn't been so confident I'd be able to pay off all my debt easily. The degree is most certainly inflated in cost; I know, I saw them game the rankings when I was there.

Second this. We were told (by the Boomers & Gen X) we should go to college & we'd get a good job and live a happy life. Instead, we went to college, got a degree, got a job and can still barely afford to live because of loans needed to attend college.

Hey. Leave us Xer's out of this. We don't give a fuck what you all do. (Apathy is our birthright, dammit)

Btw, for people like Rifleman who thinks higher education is just a boondoggle:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/09/pf/college/college-degree-payoff/index.html

I never said that. I am a big believer in higher education. But the reality is why would anybody rack up a 100K in student loans for 4-degree in non-sense and still have no direction in life.
You might be educated in a general studies degree but miserable for the rest of your life paying that money back. HOW IS THAT SUCCESS?
I blame the Dept of Education for not giving a better understanding in High School concerning Debt Management, Finance, Economics classes and the direction for our children.
The system is not educating you, it's trapping you into working dead jobs to pay down the debt and paying taxes to the govt.

The most important aspects in managing your life.
#1 Health
#2 Being financially self-sufficient
#3 Family

Some of the most successful people I have ever met never went to college. Look at Einstein.

Education also does not determine a person's character or how smart they are.
It's nothing more than a piece of paper saying you know something about the field you studied. That's it.

Last edited:
Kent, you're a bit aggressive on this. Higher ed isn't for everyone. You can learn a vocation/trade and make just as much as a college grad (or more) in certain fields. That's why we really need to ensure we are also focusing on vocational training at the secondary levels in addition to making college affordable & accessible.

Maybe so but I'm pushing the point through that higher education and education in general would solve many of the problems that conservatives are complaining about, yet it is these very people who are fighting against the very help they need. How many times have we heard blue collar folks and conservatives fighting to bring back manufacturing jobs where they have a clear disadvantage against developing nations when what they really need is accessible education that can help train them in the skills that the country actually needs? These are the same people are fighting against more government funding into educations and are the same people who REFUSE to learn a new trade while putting all their efforts on trying to bring back jobs that can't compete with the wages they demand.

These folks are also probably firm believers that once you learn enough to get your first job, then you can stop learning. Times have change. The jobs you have now are not guaranteed to be there in the future. You should never stop learning new skills. But what do I know. I'm a lazy millennial taking online courses on top of my bachelor degree while working a full time job.

Some of the most successful people I have ever met never went to college. Look at Einstein.

Albert Einstein had a doctorate, dumbass. I'm almost positive that constitutes having gone to college. Not sure though. I'm just an ill-informed liberal paying back student loans and working at Starbucks.

Second this. We were told (by the Boomers & Gen X) we should go to college & we'd get a good job and live a happy life. Instead, we went to college, got a degree, got a job and can still barely afford to live because of loans needed to attend college.

Data, my WW2 Pacific Marine vet father gave me the very same advice. The old movie "How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" really catches the spirit of that age.

Nonetheless, when I graduated there were "no executive training" programs such as my parents dreamed there might be, and no obvious first step on the ladder, Robert Morse's example notwithstanding. A job counselor suggested I try my luck in Houston, or perhaps, the Marines might like having me.

Oh well.

Sincere good luck to you new grads. Tough it out and believe in yourselves!

Albert Einstein had a doctorate, dumbass. I'm almost positive that constitutes having gone to college. Not sure though. .

KMP there is no reason to call people names on this board.
Einstein dropped out of traditional school and yes he got a Ph'D because the school basically just gave him one.

I'm just an ill-informed liberal paying back student loans and working at Starbucks

Join the fucking club

Sincere good luck to you new grads. Tough it out and believe in yourselves!

Like I said the millennials are the entitled age. They are disasters.
They would rather update their vanity pages on Facebook or Instagram.

Look---- I have 105 Likes that means I should be manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back