One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Here's the earlier design:

I had completely forgotten that this was part of the same proposal as the Buckminster Hotel tower. I am curious now, whether that too will be revamped. What was just approved is spectacularly better than what was presented as the "Commonwealth Ave Component" in 2018.

This is such a great project. Even though its entirely different from anything near it, it fits in better than most of the stuff put up in the past decade. Its daring and makes a statement yet at the same time reserved enough to not be jarring.

The herringbone pattern on the facade is visible in some of the renders in the IAG presentation. Not sure if it was visible before, but this will truly be a unique facade to the area. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Has this project changed much from what was originally proposed?

This is the original one. I also liked it a lot, even though I like the current one more. It was also slightly shorter, I think just a touch below 300' whereas the current one is 315'.

As Odurandina brought up, whatever happened to the 2nd shorter tower across the street?

Re: Hotel Tower | 560 Commonwealth Ave | Kenmore Square
GREAT!

Here are some rips:

N6DknO5h.jpg

FKb506jh.jpg

qmpjBsTh.jpg

Holy Crap! How this piece of crap design morphed into what was approved by the BCDC last night is, indeed, both a mystery and monumental! The architects must have been smoking some real good stuff while they were redesigning the original! I'll have what they had! ;)

Reactions: W-4
How this piece of crap design morphed into what was approved by the BCDC last night is, indeed, both a mystery and monumental!
typo? This was full project approval. :D
Now that you mention it, the old design looks a bit like the 90's/Flynnino/Downtown stuff.
But i don't remember thinking it was at all bad, at the time.

Last edited:
Holy Crap! How this piece of crap design morphed into what was approved by the BCDC last night is, indeed, both a mystery and monumental! The architects must have been smoking some real good stuff while they were redesigning the original! I'll have what they had! ;)

It's funny, you see a piece of crap, and I see a design that was great, and then morphed into something truly outstanding and groundbreaking. I still thought the original was like a 9 out of 10 for the area. It's just that the current one is an 11 out of 10!

Didn't someone saw there was going to be a rooftop bar here?

Should we notify the "Make Boston More Fun" thread?
It will only lead to the same old complaint that the bar's last call will be 12:29. On another note, I don't like how Commonwealth Ave is interrupted as a grand bollard into Kenmore. It is out of box thinking though, moving the building into the square to satisfy the next door neighbors. I think it will be a great addition. I wonder how close the foundation is to the T tunnel, hopefully the tunnel can take the construction vibrations.

Great news! Has there ever been any discussion as to what hotel brand would go in here? It seems like it'd be a good place for premium, but not ultra-lux...maybe JW Marriott/Conrad/Pullman? I know those are all very nice, but probably below hotels like St.Regis/Peninsula/Raffles.

I'd love to learn more about the internal atrium. It looks very interesting and rather tall. Usually things like those are big talking points for architects, but these presentations only show one section view with the atrium. Anybody think we'll see any more information on it?

From BLDUP:

“Demo Application Filed to Make Way for The Kenmore Square Hotel”

“Just weeks after the Kenmore Square Hotel project won approval from the BDPA, The Boston Landmarks Commission has received an application to demolish the structure at 560-574 Commonwealth Avenue.”

dman -- your link will not load

Back