Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Alright, so if all the developments presently under construction along this stretch-- Parcel H Chapel, Parcel J Yotel, Parcel K Watermark, Parcel L1 PwC, and Parcel L2 unclaimed office space-- are completed, there will be a continuous streetwall along this side of Seaport Blvd. from the bridge all the way to East Service Road. But my question is: will there be active streetwall/goundfloor activation in all those buildings? Or are a lot of these buildings adding nothing to the pedestrian experience?

The Watermark, PwC, and 121 Seaport Blvd (Parcel L2) will all have retail at the ground floor level totaling approx. 95K sq. ft. The opposite side of the street will be bordered by One Seaport Square and it's 240K sq. ft. of retail/restaurants. This will be quite a busy area once all these buildings are finished and fully occupied. I believe a CVS and a Shake Shack are signed onto one of the Watermark buildings at this point.

http://www.usa.skanska.com/business-units/commercial_development/commercial-development/121-seaport/

http://www.usa.skanska.com/business...ent/commercial-development/watermark-seaport/

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/09/23/101-seaport-boston-topping-off-skanska-usa/

Steel framing has begun as of this past week. This is the tower/belfry:

23792956450_2cde2ceb32_c.jpg

You can see the side and slope of the roof taking shape at center-right in this shot:

23792932700_bd5db1ed86_c.jpg

Does it make me weird that this is the development in the seaport I am most excited to see how it turns out? It is extremely rare to build a new Catholic church in New England, especially in an urban setting. With the need to not go too lavish with the materials and design because of, well, everything the church did recently, I am curious to see how they keep the interior elegant and not looking like a church basement.

I believe they will be re-using some of the materials from the original structure (decor, stained glass, etc). Hopefully that helps.

Great pictures, Beeline. Your first one especially captures what it is already a great juxtaposition between the chapel and the Watermark.

Great pictures, Beeline. Your first one especially captures what it is already a great juxtaposition between the chapel and the Watermark.
Seems like it'd have been a good place for a "St. Patrick's Cathedral" kind of gambit of a bigger church (NYC's cathedral site was not a prime location when chosen in 1853 but "won" its bet when Rockefeller Center was built across the street (on scrubby stuff). By contrast, Boston's Catholic cathedral lost its gambit that South Washington St of 1860 was "the future" despite being near Bullfinch's fashionable South End stuff)

Last edited:
Given the fact that churches (especially Catholic Church) are closing in every community and general religiousness is in decline throughout the country, I don't see a need for anything larger or grander than a chapel.

Given the fact that churches (especially Catholic Church) are closing in every community and general religiousness is in decline throughout the country, I don't see a need for anything larger or grander than a chapel.
You're overlooking the general trend to "mega churches" (more "a thing" in protestant congregations, but still a trend driven by the same forces that favor fewer, bigger Walmart and Target "super centers" versus smaller neighborhood facilities).

A lot of the parish closing/consolidation you saw was of 1900-1950 era ethnic churches (the "Italian" parish across the street from the "Irish" parish, both of which had lost their ethnic/neighborhood draw by now), and from small churches on a convenience store model (neighborhood walk-to-church ones, which were what worked when you had 8 kids and only Dad's Ford Falcon (or no car) to get there, and hordes of clergy to staff all those storefronts)

Churches are under the same pressure that retail stores are: increase productivity of labor (priests, in this case, who need to serve more congregants per priest than ever) and adapt to changing transportation, commuter, and living patterns.

It favors fewer, bigger, more multi-service buildings. It is actually small churches that are generally out of date, not big ones, for pretty much the same reasons that small retail everywhere is out of date.

IIRC the Boston Archdiocese modeled out that they could serve the whole diocese with something like 40 superparishes, if they fully adopted the Evangelical model of a big arena in acres of parking. (if they kept consolidating/closing until they got to 40 parishes that were as big as their current top 10)

The current model, of about 200 parishes, is a straddle between staying embedded in neighborhoods and megachurches, and its possible that, in building new-and-small, they passed up something that would have worked as a "destination" church (like St Patricks NYC)

Last edited:

Is it weird that I love this shot?

While I was initially (and still am) disappointed that the Archdiocese didn't go for something a bit more architecturally ambitious here, that little chapel at the corner does a great job of breaking up the boxy monotony of the Seaport behind it. I never realized how refreshing a peaked roof could look. Just like the Barking Crab and the Envoy (with its roofdeck) across Seaport Boulevard, this building should provide a nice step up into the Seaport and frame it nicely from across Fort Point Channel.

Is it weird that I love this shot?

While I was initially (and still am) disappointed that the Archdiocese didn't go for something a bit more architecturally ambitious here, that little chapel at the corner does a great job of breaking up the boxy monotony of the Seaport behind it. I never realized how refreshing a peaked roof could look. Just like the Barking Crab and the Envoy (with its roofdeck) across Seaport Boulevard, this building should provide a nice step up into the Seaport and frame it nicely from across Fort Point Channel.

Not at all. It's a refreshing touch of human scale for the Seaport.

Here's the same shot from a different angle:
littlehouse1.jpg

Upthread I agreed (and still do) with adjectives like "intimate", "peaceful", "refuge", and am happy to add "human scale" to the list of things we like about this chapel (and, I hope, its entry plaza). My only objection, really, is that it lacks an entry shelter / awning / portico, something I think is important for all projects if we want to promote walkability.

That said, there are some really great (and not necessarily expensive) ways to play with height and light (and maybe size) that they passed up.

Is there still a small building going up between the church and the Yotel?

cjbski Yes, a 4 story office building is being built. If you look at the last photo I posted yesterday you can see the foundation (pink bit) of this building. I believe BGI will move their HQ into the building once completed.

Back