Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part V (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zakim Last Night

7221183010_b656298c5b_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/

Way to completely own my crappy photo.

Those houses on Mass Ave are on my in-need-of-densification hitlist.

Lawns on Mass Ave between Kendall and Porter = unacceptable.

City Hall has an ugly little brother (trust me, this is the nicest, most interesting looking side of the building). Can anybody guess where this is? (please don't check the link, or if you do, don't post the answer cheater!) I'll give the answer tomorrow, or whenever.

IMG_9161.jpg

^ Haha, that's my guess too.

Those houses on Mass Ave are on my in-need-of-densification hitlist.

Lawns on Mass Ave between Kendall and Porter = unacceptable.

This is one instance where I'm all for maintaing the low density. Those three houses (plus that two-story gov't building) complement and lend visual priority to City Hall, and make for the most charming stretch of Mass Ave between the Charles and Harvard Yard. Images of craptastic modernist boxes here make me shudder.

^ Whatever replaces them wouldn't necessarily have to be tall; I'd just like to see it meet the sidewalk, help the streetwall, and include retail.

I hear your call for streetwallified retail, but I dunno...after the riff raff of Central Square and the uninspired mid-rises to the north I'm always pleased to come across this ensemble.

I guess Northern Virginia.
Nice pics KZ. I like how putting 1MPD in B&W makes it some how look less cheap than it actually is.

Here it is in context on the left-hand side of the shot. Don't worry, I won't keep putting non-Boston pics into this thread (I will create another thread, just not right now) but I just wanted to point out the bastard little brother. City Hall has way more character than this one though.

IMG_9234.jpg

looks like Charlotte NC and boy what an ugly st,reminds me of lower Camb st years ago.

Well where is it?

I'm sure somebody here must know their cities! For another hint, the skyline is totally on par with Providence, and the picture includes the city's 1st and 3rd tallests. Am I the only person here who really knows my skylines outside of Boston? (I realize I'm probably the best one here at that, it's my thing, but I can't be the ONLY one) I mean, the tallest is a dead giveaway, c'mon!

looks like Charlotte NC and boy what an ugly st,reminds me of lower Camb st years ago.

Nah Charlotte is way bigger. (WAY bigger) I went there on the same roadtrip that brought me here. This street was disgusting, but a couple streets away was actually really quite nice.

There's all kinds of bastard brothers of Boston buildings in that photo: Hancock, Saltonstall Building, 111 Huntington...

It's not Charlotte or Raleigh, I'm gonna guess Winston-Salem?

Boom, got it. Ok no more North Carolina here, but I'll make a separate thread when I have some time. I got over 300 pics of Charlotte, 50+ each of Raleigh (before it started to pour) and Winston-Salem (was getting late) and then some dusk/night pics of Greensboro, which was really hoppin', but it was a Saturday night so tough to totally judge. The downtowns are really pretty cool, but unlike around here the city feel really doesn't extend too much outside of them, if at all. Also, Charlotte had more parking garages than I have ever seen in one place in my entire life! (plenty of parking lots too) Charlotte has amazing height but a real lack of density outside of a few streets in the core. None of the cities were dead by any means, but none of them quite measure up to the northeast either. I look forward to sharing them with y'all sometime down the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back