Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part VI (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize it is "controversial", and I will refrain from posting them here if people are that bothered by it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not exactly the first person who has ever edited their pictures before putting them on this site.

There's a big difference between tweaking your pictures and then slathering them with tons of filters--or overdoing it on one filter. Almost every shot I post has been edited to get the image from 95% there to 100%, but all I'm touching is the basic stuff like contrast, saturation, color temp and tint, etc. At the same time I have started experimenting with filters and have posted a few of them here. But for architectural stuff I tend to prefer a more realistic, documentarian look, and I know better than to try any of the "artistic" stuff...I just don't have an eye for it.

Still, I think the reason we don't see many shots going for the heavy filters/HDR/pre-aged look here is more an effect of how us architecture nerds see the world rather than some conscious effort to stay away from the Instagram stuff. I don't see Instagram as inherently bad or #nofilter as inherently good--it's just a matter of what works best for your subject, a lesson that the majority of Instagram users haven't learned yet because they suck at photography and think every shot needs to look like it came from 1989.

But please...feel free to post your forays into this world! It takes years of trial and error to figure out what works, what doesn't, and what your preferences are.

And here's what a typical editing job looks like for me:
iphoto.jpg

Has this been seen before? Date listed was 1900.

8454526189_a1ee795a21_b.jpg

Oo, is that the lost "second Back Bay" grid on the current MIT campus grounds?

Incredible that Boston still hadn't expanded into Fenway by 1900, but that Cambridge and Somerville were densely developed almost to their full extent.

I found it in a book I was browsing through at the public library in Copley. Unfortunately this was 5+ years ago and my record keeping wasn't so hot, so I have no idea what book it may have been or anything other than it's from 1900.

It's in one of the mapping Boston books. I know it's in the one about the Charles River, maybe others.

"Buried"
Worthington St, Mission Hill (Roxbury Crossing)

wi3lzd.jpg

Last edited:
I just can't believe that is considered Roxbury Crossing. That's clearly Mission Hill right?

I just can't believe that is considered Roxbury Crossing. That's clearly Mission Hill right?

Huntington Ave is the line of Boston <> Rox Xing. Yes, our permit parking on the street is "Mission Hill."

My address is technically Rox Xing (02120) and everyone freaks out when I say I live there, but my bldg is legit 50 steps off of Huntington between LMA and Brigham Circle. It's just beautiful old Boston. One of the two streets that survived the Whittier Redev Project.

Last night, Christian Science Center:

tumblr_mhz21ruiEM1r54hqzo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back