Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Thomas Grillo over at the Bizjournal is reporting only 6 of the 240 units have been leased since they started marketing in February. There's also a slideshow showing a model unit with some decent views:

m6h4j.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...th-radian-is-bostons-latest.html?iana=ind_cre

No pool, the bathrooms look cheaper than your average mcmansion....

How insane do you have to be to pay over $1,000 for a studio, never mind $3,000?

Why even include studios in a luxury building?

I don't think this has been mentioned before in this thread but a James Beard "Rising Star" is opening a restaurant in the Radian. That seems like a pretty big win for the building and this stretch of Essex St.

Chef and owners Matt and Kate Jennings have decided to close their much-heralded restaurant, Farmstead, Inc., in Providence, Rhode Island, and return to their hometown of Boston. Farmstead, Inc. will be closing its doors on June 1 so the duo can concentrate on opening a new concept in the Radian building at 120 Kingston Street. The Jennings’ new restaurant already has a name, Townsman, which they hope to open sometime in late 2014.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2014/05/08/matt-kate-jennings-farmstead-inc-return-boston/

Damn! Those glass fins totally ruined the blank wall!! ;-). Plus, rumor has it that the wall of death comes alive at night! Now that I gotta see! Good news about the restaurant, too.

That sidewalk seems almost dangerously narrow considering the traffic volume on Essex St.

Some high quality materials, with a 1960's aesthetic and 2000's detailing. I'm willing to let it settle in and age for a bit before I completely write it off.

I hope Randomwalk was making a joke about high quality materials...
Get up close sometime and be VERY dissapointed by the cheap materials and poor detailing. Some of the worst I've seen on any of Boston's new collection of cheap residential high rise buildings.

I hope Randomwalk was making a joke about high quality materials...
Get up close sometime and be VERY dissapointed by the cheap materials and poor detailing. Some of the worst I've seen on any of Boston's new collection of cheap residential high rise buildings.

This for example.
14216003482_29050acdc4_b.jpg

A 'bait and switch' project.

Wow, what an improvement over this:

img9047bx2.jpg

Absolutely...and we really dodged a bullet by changing the design and reducing the size of this:

Ugh, can you imagine how out of place that would have been?! Not to mention the fact that it would have kept that old, crumbling, decrepit building in tact:

Be back in a few, gonna go cry in the bathroom stall for awhile.

It sounds like they're charging luxury rent without the luxury amenities. No roof deck or pool? But hey they will take the groceries to your apt for you!

So a month ago the Radian had 6 of 240 units leased, which works out to 2.5% of the units. And now a month later there's good news! It is now 5.4% leased -- 13 units have found themselves lessees. And things are going so good that they've resorted to the free month of rent tactic -- http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/05/radian_tries_to_make_its_mark_in_luxury_market

I think we may have found the upper boundary of what people will pay. I think.

“We don’t have some of the bells and whistles other buildings do, but we do have two things that stand out — our location is better and our service is higher quality,” said property manager Michael Cheek of Forest City Enterprises.

So you have one thing, which is of course subjective: Service. You're located a quarter of a mile away from the Kensington and Millenium Place (if that)... Nobody gives a shit about walking a quarter of a mile in Boston.

Also the Kensington and MP III are in way more interesting and vibrant areas.

The BRA Motto: "Background buildings at iconic prices."

Doesn't the BRA ever worry that if everything is a piece of shit, then the "good" turds will be relatively iconic? Maybe they should dictate that all buildings use exactly the same materials and exactly the same colors. No unique angles or windows. Make sure everything is a towering turd.

I think we may have found the upper boundary of what people will pay. I think.

It took the Kensington about a year to reach 80+ % tenancy, which included move-in incentives, so I wouldn't write this one off just yet.

Back