Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Nice pics, Boston, and I can tell you weren't driving when you took them! ;-) Has anyone seen the lit up 'blank wall of death' at night?

According to curbed, Radian is offering 3 months of free rent for signing a one-year lease.

It seems like the glut of luxury apartments is upon us. I wonder when this will translate to lower rents as opposed to "X months of free rent"?

According to curbed, Radian is offering 3 months of free rent for signing a one-year lease.

It seems like the glut of luxury apartments is upon us. I wonder when this will translate to lower rents as opposed to "X months of free rent"?

Well, if you can budget well, that basically is lower rent, isn't it? Especially if those 3 free months are anything besides the last 3.

Since we have such a "fun" time debating this, I'm curious to see if there's a correlation between the success of these new residentials vs the parking offered by each. Personally, I would never live somewhere that didn't include a place to park my car.

As far as I know, all of these new developments, except one, include parking garages.

Lovejoy Wharf is the only one that plans to do without internal parking -- but there are nearby garages for residents to use.

Personally, I would never live somewhere that forced me to pay for a parking space that I wouldn't be using.

As of Saturday, Radian's 1-beds range from $3,300/mo to $5,200/mo, increasing based on floor level and square footage. Two beds begin at $4,800 and go up to $7,000. And there is a 3-bed/2-bath on the 24th floor for $8,000. I see there are about 50 units available.

The building interiors are sexy and high end, but considering the lack of comparable amenities to other new residential buildings downtown, I really think they should have priced these 25% lower than what they've been asking and then raise them 5% annually after that. That would've been a much healthier situation for the building and aided against the high turnover rates they'll likely face when these come up for renewal after a year.

There's my two cents, datadyne. ;-)

15150826789_d5bbec171c_b.jpg

The upper facade turned out pretty well, IMO: much better than I expected. It might even be better context-wise than the glittering 'iconic' design by the original Chinese architect. Street-level engagement though, -- underperforms.

Street-level engagement though, -- underperforms.

I walked by this with a friend of mine who absolutely LOVED the little park, black wall of death thing, etc. It helps add liveliness to that little section of asphalt known as "Chinatown Park". Nothing amazing, but that whole area kind of felt like a no-man's-land and this helps stitch it back together a bit. It also interacts every bit as well as the buildings around it. I think you're holding it to unreasonable standards. Par for the course at Archboston.

Back