SBWTC /South Boston Waterfront Transportation Center | Seaport

Re: SBWTC /South Boston Waterfront Transportation Center/Seaport/ S Boston

34490977696_e1f5a052a3_b.jpg

Now that construction on this garage is well underway, why are there no detailed renderings as to what this structure will look like? I remember when some were posted (and immediately deleted, why I don't understand) but now that it's happening, why the radio (visual) silence?

They were deleted by mods for being too big. Theres official renders still out there.

They were deleted by mods for being too big. Theres official renders still out there.

Might be time to loosen this restriction on this forum as images/quality of phone pics, renders, etc. are becoming higher quality :)

YjsunMvh.jpg

tHnDpONh.jpg

Might be time to loosen this restriction on this forum as images/quality of phone pics, renders, etc. are becoming higher quality :)

Yea i dont get it ive been on the forum on beat ass windows office computers, to my phone, tablet, and my macbook pro and never had a problem.

For the millionth time, image sizes are restricted to boost page load times on mobile.

We know, its just that nobody has a problem with that unless your on a blackberry from 2006.

We know, its just that nobody has a problem with that unless your on a blackberry from 2006.

I can watch my 4G on Verizon go to 3G about 9 AM every weekday when everyone starts arriving at nearby offices, and that's within 100 yards of Verizon cell antennas.

For the millionth time, image sizes are restricted to boost page load times on mobile.

It's not 2006 anymore. Images load just as fast on mobile.

Can anyone explain the reason for the interesting shape of that foundation work that is going in? Seems pretty esoteric.

A quick visit to Google Maps should answer your question. The garage bridges I-90, so the foundation only has a few linear areas where they can distribute the loads to without compromising the tunnel.

A quick visit to Google Maps should answer your question. The garage bridges I-90, so the foundation only has a few linear areas where they can distribute the loads to without compromising the tunnel.

OK, I get that the foundation pads are spaced to avoid the I-90 tunnels underneath.

But that still does not explain the shape. Certainly the space between the tunnels is not shaped like that pad. And the gap between pads does not appear to be large enough to miss the tunnels underneath (tips of wings to each other).

https://flic.kr/p/UtqSBN

Its not about hitting a gap betweeen the tunnels - its about distribution the load to columns within the tunnel walls.

Also: Fuck this piece of crap project.

Also: Fuck this piece of crap project.

Don't you love how it's somehow possible to do tricky subterranean structural engineering when it comes to putting a turd garage over the pike here, yet anytime something beautiful (and less auto-centric) is proposed as an air rights project somewhere else in this city, it is "cost prohibitive" or "too complex" to do said structural engineering. Gotta love this town.

This type of shallow foundation is called a strapped (or cantilever) footing. It's a hybrid of a traditional spread footing & a continuous (or strip) footing.

The typical spread footings are connected together by a flat slab between them called a "strap." Strap footings are used to accommodate structures that are susceptible to eccentric loads.

Strapped footing:

fig338_01.jpg

Eccentric loading (bending):
Loads on a member that are not symmetrical with its central axis
(Parking garages are susceptible to eccentric loading because of movement & uneven distribution of cars. Parking garages, like this one, use these precast segments to rest the precast double tee "decks" on)

eccentric-load.jpg

The diagonal force here would be the eccentric load

Class is dismissed.

^ Thanks Data

Don't you love how it's somehow possible to do tricky subterranean structural engineering when it comes to putting a turd garage over the pike here, yet anytime something beautiful (and less auto-centric) is proposed as an air rights project somewhere else in this city, it is "cost prohibitive" or "too complex" to do said structural engineering. Gotta love this town.
I dunno, the new apartment buildings on both sides of Beverly Street by North Station successfully employed this same build-on-top-of-a-new-Big-Dig-tunnel approach.

Back