SBWTC /South Boston Waterfront Transportation Center | Seaport

...this same build-on-top-of-a-new-Big-Dig-tunnel approach.

Actually you're exactly right, I believe. We have plenty of examples of efficient construction atop the new big dig tunnels. It's the old portions of the pike we can't seem to accomplish anything on. Ok I will end my derail here.

Actually you're exactly right, I believe. We have plenty of examples of efficient construction atop the new big dig tunnels. It's the old portions of the pike we can't seem to accomplish anything on. Ok I will end my derail here.

And the key difference is that the Big Dig parcels were all decked & capped. The North End parcels were not gaping holes in the ground. The old Pike parcels are wide open and require enormous disruptions to deck.

Don't you love how it's somehow possible to do tricky subterranean structural engineering when it comes to putting a turd garage over the pike here, yet anytime something beautiful (and less auto-centric) is proposed as an air rights project somewhere else in this city, it is "cost prohibitive" or "too complex" to do said structural engineering. Gotta love this town.

Great post and very on target.

Don't you love how it's somehow possible to do tricky subterranean structural engineering when it comes to putting a turd garage over the pike here, yet anytime something beautiful (and less auto-centric) is proposed as an air rights project somewhere else in this city, it is "cost prohibitive" or "too complex" to do said structural engineering. Gotta love this town.

Where its covered its much easier. The merano and 1 canal were both air rights projects as well and those flew up. Same situation there as here.

Where its covered its much easier. The merano and 1 canal were both air rights projects as well and those flew up. Same situation there as here.

Isn't it more than just being covered. Wasn't there advance planning that there would be mid-rise structures placed over the tunnels in these locations (Seaport, Bullfinch Triangle) so anchor points in the slurry walls were prepared appropriately?

The Turnpike trench was never constructed to expect building coverage along its length.

Last edited:
So just for reference, this bridge that BeeLine took excellent pix of connects the SBWTC thru Waterside Place Phase 1B to Congress Street in front. Looks like they managed to straighten out the bridge instead of doing that weird wave that was initially proposed.

a7g9tHD.png

4v3TRHs.png

U9zHsgz.png

Isn't it more than just being covered. Wasn't there advance planning that there would be mid-rise structures placed over the tunnels in these locations (Seaport, Bullfinch Triangle) so anchor points in the slurry walls were prepared appropriately?

The Turnpike trench was never constructed to expect building coverage along its length.

More than that - the tunnel walls supported the old artery and all its traffic for years during the tunnel construction, so load bearing was baked in from the beginning.

Also - hooray new bridge over silver line ROW to access new parking garage, while T under D remains a hopeless fantasy

Could the BPDA extract T-under-D from one of the seaport developers? It seems like the developers are motivated enough to build in the seaport.

I still can't believe that in 2017 they are building parking garages on such valuable land. And with taxpayer money no less. What a waste. Meanwhile public transportation is criminally neglected in this neighborhood and underfunded statewide. They completely screwed up this neighborhood by making it so car centric. I thought we lived in an educated, progressive city?

I still can't believe that in 2017 they are building parking garages on such valuable land. And with taxpayer money no less. What a waste. Meanwhile public transportation is criminally neglected in this neighborhood and underfunded statewide.

Such a shame. I hate this more and more every day as it goes up. Hulking eye sore on prime land.

I still can't believe that in 2017 they are building parking garages on such valuable land. And with taxpayer money no less. What a waste. Meanwhile public transportation is criminally neglected in this neighborhood and underfunded statewide. They completely screwed up this neighborhood by making it so car centric. I thought we lived in an educated, progressive city?

over-react much?

Everyone on here constantly complains that we shouldn't be driving and Seaport traffic is turning into a nightmare. I'm surprised some of you are protesting this project that is actually encouraging more people to drive into the Seaport.

Everyone on here constantly complains that we shouldn't be driving and Seaport traffic is turning into a nightmare. I'm surprised some of you are protesting this project that is actually encouraging more people to drive into the Seaport.

Does this post make sense to anyone? Am I the one with the problem?

All i can figure is that the 'are protesting' is supposed to be 'aren't protesting', and its addressed to the right wingers within this community

Back