Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Herald reporting the Fort Pt Channel Post Office is close to being sold in order to expand South Station. It would involve a land swap at 525 E Street and Massport would build the Army a facility out in western MA. I would hope that the valuable waterfront land has bigger plans than just expanding South Station!

^I honestly never thought I would see the day. I believe CBT drafted big plans years ago for the site that could be revisited.

Herald reporting the Fort Pt Channel Post Office is close to being sold in order to expand South Station. It would involve a land swap at 525 E Street and Massport would build the Army a facility out in western MA. I would hope that the valuable waterfront land has bigger plans than just expanding South Station!

There is a SSX thread this belongs in (where I posed it).
http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=293987&postcount=220

I remember seeing this a while back. Unfortunately, the US Post Office blocked it as they do not plan to move out of their current facility on fort point.

The plan is still moving forward (albeit very slowly). Massport just hasn't floated a high enough buy-out figure to get the US Post office to move. They are completing the consolidation of the needed land in South Boston for the new site (which they would not be doing if they didn't think this still had a shot).

The plan is still moving forward (albeit very slowly). Massport just hasn't floated a high enough buy-out figure to get the US Post office to move. They are completing the consolidation of the needed land in South Boston for the new site (which they would not be doing if they didn't think this still had a shot).

Speak of the devil, there's an article about this on the bostonherald that Data posted on his fb.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...7/05/mail_facility_may_get_new_home_in_boston

However I don't expect to see anything close to the magnitude of the rendering as this location is capped to 300' by the FAA.

GE breaks ground tomorrow.

I hadn't been through here in about a month and the first thing I noticed is the trees are going in. Theres a bunch out in front of 1 seaport square, yotel, the church...etc. It already looks much better and they just started. It was great to see some life finally being brought into this massive construction site.

This is obviously older but its cool to look at as a massing render to get an eyes on view of a completed seaport.

There has been plenty of activation and foot traffic in the Seaport this weekend. Restaurants are also full. It's nice, but not too overly crowded. Not everything has to feel like Back Bay or Times Sq. (That is extreme). I think "accessibility problems" that are generally mentioned are overstated.

^^ Great shots, BeeLine. You should really also post that wide shot you made that included both the Seaport and Downtown. I found it on your Flickr when I clicked one of the above. It definitely makes the Seaport look like stump city compared to downtown, but it doesn't really feel so short in person. It also gives a good sense of how the area is starting to fill in. it's amazing how photos of the area from just nine months or so already look so outdated compared to where we are today.

Looks like one long building from some angles

Don't be sad, she was born again across the street! ;)

Don't be sad, she was born again across the street! ;)

Yes and the new church looks good. But - I will very much miss the little churchyard surrounded by leafy trees to the right of the old church. It was nice, secluded patch of greenspace.

As an aside, since I was little in the late 80s/early 90s, cities and towns all around have been making damned sure to clear out any patches of overgrown shrubbery and brush that used used to be prime places to go play in as a kid. New parks also never had any really "wild" components to them. It's a shame... it's all done by society-of-fear types, making sure, god forbid, kids arent smoking weed in the bushes or terrorists hiding in them either. SAD!

Back