Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

This just hit an hour ago (midnight)

Good indicator of the strength of the Boston market, overall. Any guesses as to L4 or L6?

Nice little snub:
The deal will cement Boston’s status as one of Amazon’s largest tech hubs outside of its home in Seattle and its so-called second headquarters in Crystal City, Va.

While it's great to be getting the additional jobs, I raise questions on the long-term domino effect Amazon can have, in 1) the urban environment, from the design/size/location of our office buildings to the types of retail that are likely to be aimed at Amazon-level salaries, 2) the micro/regional economic impact they can have in increasing demand for talent - thereby increasing salaries, increasing overall COL and also potentially making it more difficult for smaller firms to keep up, and 3) the overall demographics - Boston, unofficially/from what I've read, struggles to retain bright recent grads. If grads decide to stay because Amazon and the like start to offer more $150k+ jobs here, what does that mean for Boston overall?

Amazon is beginning to focus on a lot of things Boston does well - robotics, pharmaceuticals, AI, etc. We have quite a few successful and renowned robotics firms in the area, Amazon included; it's no secret we're a pharmaceutical powerhouse, and the growth in AI R&D and new talent is extremely promising. I doubt this is the last round of hiring pushes in the short-medium term, and certainly in the long term, so long as Amazon is allowed to exist.

This announcement of 3,000 jobs won't really budge anything right away, and maybe I've been reading too much about tipping points lately, but I think we should consider looking at a Boston 2030 V2.0 if any of what I mentioned starts to occur more rapidly in the coming 9 years.

Good indicator of the strength of the Boston market, overall. Any guesses as to L4 or L6?

L4 is their UC building, so it’s gotta be L3, L5, or L6. L6 would be the best to connect to N and P and build out “Harbor Way.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Amazon ends up taking all four.

While it's great to be getting the additional jobs, I raise questions on the long-term domino effect Amazon can have, in 1) the urban environment, from the design/size/location of our office buildings to the types of retail that are likely to be aimed at Amazon-level salaries, 2) the micro/regional economic impact they can have in increasing demand for talent - thereby increasing salaries, increasing overall COL and also potentially making it more difficult for smaller firms to keep up, and 3) the overall demographics - Boston, unofficially/from what I've read, struggles to retain bright recent grads. If grads decide to stay because Amazon and the like start to offer more $150k+ jobs here, what does that mean for Boston overall?

Amazon is beginning to focus on a lot of things Boston does well - robotics, pharmaceuticals, AI, etc. We have quite a few successful and renowned robotics firms in the area, Amazon included; it's no secret we're a pharmaceutical powerhouse, and the growth in AI R&D and new talent is extremely promising. I doubt this is the last round of hiring pushes in the short-medium term, and certainly in the long term, so long as Amazon is allowed to exist.

This announcement of 3,000 jobs won't really budge anything right away, and maybe I've been reading too much about tipping points lately, but I think we should consider looking at a Boston 2030 V2.0 if any of what I mentioned starts to occur more rapidly in the coming 9 years.
Meh. I’m going to counter with 1) urban office and retail developments are actually a good thing, 2) high paying jobs and competition for workers is actually a good thing, and 3) more young people locating here (in addition to the hundreds of thousands that already do) is actually a good thing.

I’ve read the “Amazon employment is bad” takes before and they mostly strike me as “change is bad” NIMBYism. The experience of COVID in cities has show us that 1) either you’re growing or you’re shrinking, and 2) local poorer workers suffer the most when richer workers stop going to the office.

So given all of that, I welcome this with open arms.

Last edited:
From the Globe,
Amazon will lease space in a 17-story building planned as part of WS Development’s 23-acre Seaport Square mixed-use project. The tower, at the corner of Congress Street and Boston Wharf Road, will be adjacent to a 430,000-square-foot space it signed a lease for three years ago. The new building needs design approval from the city but otherwise has all permits. WS hopes to start construction by summer and be finished by 2024.

From the Boston Business Journal:

Amazon.com Inc. plans to expand its Seaport District footprint with another office lease — and in this building, the e-commerce giant will share space with two long-awaited performing arts centers.

Amazon has committed to 630,000 square feet of office space in a 17-story tower at 1 Boston Wharf Road, a building that's part of WS Development's Seaport Square master plan.

The 707,000-square-foot Henning Larsen-designed building will include two performing arts centers — one a 500-seat venue a second, 100-seat black box theater — as well as ground-floor retail space and a community dog park. Construction is scheduled to be complete by 2024.

I'm kinda giggling at this:

Does anyone have a chart comparing what Amazon has done in Boston vs. Crystal City in the two years since the "decision"?????? How much did Crystal City pay Amazon vs. what Boston is giving in tax breaks?????

I know Amazon promised 25K jobs in CC within a decade or so, but these past 2 years - actual - has Boston or Crystal City done better?

L5.
L3 and L6 are not big enough foot prints and are not permitted for office.
Yup, Parcel L5 at "1 Boston Wharf Road." A preliminary render is out too, looking SE from the park at Parcel Q:

One-Boston-Wharf-Road-2.jpg

Mods, time to move all of today's comments here into their own thread?

Amazon Office Tower II | 1 Boston Wharf Rd | Seaport Square Parcel L5 | Seaport

These Boston numbers also don't count all the robotics employees at former Kiva out in the 'burbs.

This building looks really nice. I think it'll play well with its neighbors. More SHL work in Boston is greatly welcomed. They were the designer behind the Commonwealth Pier Revitalization, they are a partner firm with Studio Gang on Tishman Speyer's Harvard/Allston expansions, and now are working with WS/Amazon on their second building in the Seaport. They are are a quality firm, and its promising that they're getting more and more commissions here, after so many years of great projects in mostly Europe. The only other US project I'm aware of is a mixed development project in Detroit.

1611767912118.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Great cities have MORE of that. I really enjoy watching Boston break out of it's gulit/shamed Calvinism.
Shmessy -- I don't think that the term Calvinism is relevant -- there hasn't been a Watch and Ward Society meeting since about the days of Joe McCarthy

I was waking by Seaport Sq parcel G and I couldn't help but notice there's some equipment related to testing/preliminary steps of design there. Is there any proposal in the mix for this? This spot, along with some others left with okay views, seem like prime hotel real estate.

On this note, what parcel will we see break ground next or have a new design for?

I was waking by Seaport Sq parcel G and I couldn't help but notice there's some equipment related to testing/preliminary steps of design there. Is there any proposal in the mix for this? This spot, along with some others left with okay views, seem like prime hotel real estate.

On this note, what parcel will we see break ground next or have a new design for?

Notice of Intent for DEP File No. 006-18XX and BOS File No. 2021-XXX from Nitsch Engineering on behalf of Seaport D Title Holder LLC for the proposed demolition of a parking lot and construction of a new building and underground parking garage located at 65 Northern Ave/88 Seaport Blvd, South Boston, MA (LSCSF)

88 Seaport Blvd (Parcel D) going before the Conservation Commission on 10/20 to start work on that site. I saw online someone mention that Cisco is moving to Parcel G but that is unconfirmed.

That’s Parcel D not Parcel G, but still huge news! Helps fill in the largest “hole” remaining along Seaport Blvd

Notice of Intent for DEP File No. 006-18XX and BOS File No. 2021-XXX from Nitsch Engineering on behalf of Seaport D Title Holder LLC for the proposed demolition of a parking lot and construction of a new building and underground parking garage located at 65 Northern Ave/88 Seaport Blvd, South Boston, MA (LSCSF)

Fingers crossed this is still the plan...

aibIZva.jpg

181iO8k.jpg

jSz4uJr.jpg

Back