State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

Gunner02

Reaction score
Sudbury is somewhere in the 530's. State Street is minimum 601' but might end up a little bit higher, depending on the tip of the swoop. Overall there's definitely less than 100' separating them no matter what, but we still need them to finish off the fin for State Street's final height.
Seeing the trajectory of the framing up close on the high fin side, it appears to be significant. As in what many renders show. It looks to be at least 100' over Sudbury.

if anyone remembers, early numbers on the height used to be 648' but I haven't seen that in a long time.

We'll see but it does look pretty steep on the west side of the tower..

Jahvon09

Reaction score
Yeah, Pan Am was a cooler name for the building, and the name evoked adventure and excitement "MetLife" is a bit sterile.
Yup!! The tower was there for quite a while, & it has become what all of the skyscrapers have become. An icon!! :giggle:

ivyhedge

Reaction score
It is also a treasure trove of anachronistic, though patchwork complementary, renovations. Among smaller firms, there are nods to the Bauhaus movement, while other groups highlighted hyper contemporary and classically "Don Draper" MCM. I have only seen a few nods to international modernism (which can be captivating when done well, but often looks very Bond villain lethargic at this point). My firm leases a number of floors and leans mostly toward MCM, with a dash of post modernism.

Finally, to confirm what y'all have probably heard about that period's towers: yes, there are several "hidden" single destination express elevators, meeting grottos with double tiered windows, and even the famed living suites of olde. Wow.

The structure is one of my favorites. 1 Congress reminds me, ever so slightly, of the PanAm Wonder, as well.

The MetLife building in Manhattan is one of my all-time favorites, a classic mid-century modern, stately but full of energy and optimism,.

A Chicagoan

Reaction score
This proposed Houston project looks quite similar...

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
This proposed Houston project looks quite similar...

Another view of the proposed Houston tower. "Head and Shoulders" above the rest (okay, okay...I know...):

CaptainJilliams

Reaction score
Another view of the proposed Houston tower. "Head and Shoulders" above the rest (okay, okay...I know...):

I lived in Houston for 4 years, and this project has been delayed and postponed for years, can't remember how long it's been but I'd venture to guess since the early 2010s. Quite a frustrating proposal, at the very least Boston can say their project is well under construction, even if it isn't quite as tall.