State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

For height explanation, reference my old post here #229 in this thread to see the diagrams described below.

The 647' was an estimated measurement by Odurandina based on comparing pixels across 2 diagrams, the first of the residential (with heights listed) and the second with the residential next to the office tower. The residential is listed as 547', but that's above sea level. The ground level is listed as 27', but it's difficult to decipher how the hill fits in to that measurement, as official height is taken from the lowest point. So the residential is AT LEAST 520', but more likely in the 530's, which it certainly appears to be.

The second diagram put a 647' measurement to the tip, above sea level, comparing it to the residential. Once again, that's above sea level, and might also be overstated if counting the residential as a full 547'. The office tower sits slightly lower, so it's more likely we'd be thinking the tip is about 625'-635'. However, the highest FAA point lists it as 601'. The question again becomes, did that point capture the very tip of the higher fin, and count from the lowest point on the building?

So I am of the mind that this is between 601' as the worst case scenario, and 635' as the best case scenario, with the ~625' as the likeliest case unless they did in fact reduce the fin's height from the original diagram.

For height explanation, reference my old post here #229 in this thread to see the diagrams described below.

The 647' was an estimated measurement by Odurandina based on comparing pixels across 2 diagrams, the first of the residential (with heights listed) and the second with the residential next to the office tower. The residential is listed as 547', but that's above sea level. The ground level is listed as 27', but it's difficult to decipher how the hill fits in to that measurement, as official height is taken from the lowest point. So the residential is AT LEAST 520', but more likely in the 530's, which it certainly appears to be.

The second diagram put a 647' measurement to the tip, above sea level, comparing it to the residential. Once again, that's above sea level, and might also be overstated if counting the residential as a full 547'. The office tower sits slightly lower, so it's more likely we'd be thinking the tip is about 625'-635'. However, the highest FAA point lists it as 601'. The question again becomes, did that point capture the very tip of the higher fin, and count from the lowest point on the building?

So I am of the mind that this is between 601' as the worst case scenario, and 635' as the best case scenario, with the ~625' as the likeliest case unless they did in fact reduce the fin's height from the original diagram.
You ever think 'ah hell it doesn't really matter does it?'

Look at the Carr Properties site:

Looks to be about 5 more floors, plus mechanicals and then the pointy bits.

https://www.carrprop.com/properties/one-congress/

1617894300757.png

Look at the Carr Properties site:

Looks to be about 5 more floors, plus mechanicals and then the pointy bits.

https://www.carrprop.com/properties/one-congress/

View attachment 12057

If you line up the high point of the Sudbury's roof with the actual roof portion here, not including the mech screen and fins, this only looks like it's *maybe* 1 more floor. How do you get five? The far side of Sudbury's roof almost perfectly lines up with State Street's.

I will revise my estimate down from 5 floors to 2-3. :D

If you line up the high point of the Sudbury's roof with the actual roof portion here, not including the mech screen and fins, this only looks like it's *maybe* 1 more floor. How do you get five? The far side of Sudbury's roof almost perfectly lines up with State Street's.

This is going to be an interesting view. Shot taken at the corner of Mass Ave and Huntington Ave.

Literally drove down Huntington less than 2 hours ago, under that overpass, and thought the exact same thing when I noticed this! While unlikely, I just might be that 4th car up from the tunnel in your first shot.

in a lot of ways, this is going to be the "new jht" -- both in bold design and in how it's gonna look slim and sexy from some angles and like a big, wide, fat load from others.

in a lot of ways, this is going to be the "new jht" -- both in bold design and in how it's gonna look slim and sexy from some angles and like a big, wide, fat load from others.

It's not really going to look slim from any angle. At it's slimmest, it's as wide as (if not wider than) The Sudbury next door. While not "fat," I wouldn't call the Sudbury slim by any definition. But at it's fattest, this thing is a monster. And it doesn't have the height the Hancock does to make up for it. If you walk down Merrimac towards this building right now, the girth is jarring. I'm happy this is getting built, but it's not really going to trick anyone into think it's thin like the Hancock can sometimes do. There's a spot on the SE Expressway (heading North) before entering the tunnel where the JHT lines up perfectly so that you can just see the thin side and it looks like a "pencil tower." I've always loved that angle.

Last edited:

Back