T photo of the day

Huntington Ave Green Line route by NEU and the MFA and down to Brigham Circle is a particularly good example although it could use more sidewalk cafes

more dining, shopping and entertainment options in general. I have a fantasy that the MFA could take the big swath of land they are landscaping on the east (Forsyth) side of the building and do a really nice 3-seasons outdoor cafe under the trees serviced by the interior kitchens. It would attract tons of students/visitors and really create a non-university-affiliated attraction/meetingplace this area really needs.

Tombstoner, that's an excellent idea; it's a great place for that sort of thing. I don't think the MFA owns any of that land that's being landscaped and it's the state that's doing the work. And, it's taking forever. I was at the museum on Friday and there were people feverishly working on it. It will be the best looking piece of land that no one sees.

Tombstoner, that's an excellent idea; it's a great place for that sort of thing. I don't think the MFA owns any of that land that's being landscaped and it's the state that's doing the work. And, it's taking forever. I was at the museum on Friday and there were people feverishly working on it. It will be the best looking piece of land that no one sees.

There are actually two plots, JohnAKeith--there's Forsyth Park (the area I think you are talking about) and the area right next to the MFA (the strip between the widewalk and the street). That strip is pretty substantial and integral to the MFA--it could easily be serviced from the museum. I think the strip is a no-brainer. Forsyth Park is definitely prime property that could be much better used as an outdoor space, but I can see why that would be hard to get rights to and to service (unless a facility were built on-site). Someplace like Forsyth Park would be a kick-ass beer garden--not a frat boy hangout, but a place with simple pub foods, some good local brews and a few house wines. I live about 30 yards away...they would be assured of at least one steady customer! :D

june2011bostonmanextsto.jpg

I think it's just a back road for BET access. A little further to the left it becomes the Duck Boat road/ramp. Old ties and other railroad junk have been stored around this little area too.

051-12.jpg
sitting in traffic on the storrow dr. off ramp,one of these trains was going inbound one was move-n out bound
052-16.jpg
053-14.jpg
<all three were now move-n!

Yep. First two are Melrose Highlands and the third is Melrose / Cedar Park.

How did ya' know? Was it the jointed rail? It's the only place I know of in the system that still has unwelded rail.

5949963093_39b4ca2e80_b.jpg

When railfanning becomes a sport! Had to kayak to this location.

Ron, I believe it's part of the General Electric Aviation engine assembly facility.

Ron, I believe it's part of the General Electric Aviation engine assembly facility.

Actually, I think the aviation facility is the closed one to the right (out of the shot). But I'm not sure what they do in the facility in the pic? Unless they were both for aviation engines...

One time GE had a huge complex in Lynn that did a lot of different heavy manufacturing including:
marine steam turbines and reduction gears for naval vessels of all types

I think all that went away in the 70's or perhaps a bit later

what remains is cores and parts of cores for a number of turbofan engines and some helicopter turboshaft engines

Back