The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: One Seaport Square | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Man, it's right in front of your nose but you can't see it. It's not the buildings that define 'boston character' - it's the streets and the lots.

Yes, wood yields to brick and then to granite and to precast. Neighborhoods go in and out of fashion. Houses are repurposed as shops, and factories become houses. All of that happens on the scale of decades, or generations at most.

The layout of streets and building lots changes much more slowly, if at all. Skyscrapers among cowpaths, etc. etc. And the character of those things is what people have in mind when they think of boston. Here are the characteristics of our most distinctive 'hoods that are absent in the seaport:

- a hierarchy of streets....it's not that they all have to be small and tangled, like they are downtown....in the back bay you have grand boulevards, residential streets, and service alleys woven into a thick matrix. But the point is that they complement each other as a system and provide an intelligible character to the neighborhood
t

CSTH -- You draw too many Mega Conclusions without nearly enough evidence -- Are you an astronomer [pro or ameteur] by any chance -- they are notorious for creating classes of objects from one example {google BL Lacertae Object}

Back to the issue of primacy of streets, buildings, or land forms -- all of them especially in Boston

Often the original "Cow Path" was defined as the easiest route from one well established place [e.g. the Common] to another [e.g. the Spring] with some sort of obstacle to be avoided -- e.g. hill or water

People then built structures adapted to the street pattern that then existed

Sometime later the "powers that be" changed the underlying land form by cutting down the hill or filling the water obstacle

Sometime after that the street layout might be revised to accommodate new forms of commerce or the new availability of land to straighten the route -- sometimes this happened while leaving behind some older buildings better adapted to the old streets

Now we call all of the above Quaint, European and Bostonian -- but in reality its just the result of constantly changing things incrementally

Six exhibits where the streets changed significantly in relatively short order [order of 20 to 50 years]
1) Franklin St. -- see for example the famous Tontine Crescent
2) Fort Hill -- several streets that used to circle the hill -- which today doesn't exist at all
3) Causeway and Canal area -- no need for either anymore no canals and no Mill pond
4) Fan Pier -- no fan of railroad lines with finger piers
5) Cross Street and the old Wharfs around Lewis -- and no it wasn't the original Central Artery that truncated the Wharf Building it was the new streets
6) Cambridge St., Bowdoin Sq., Court Street and all changes predated Government Center

There are many more left to the alert reader

The Seaport is a disappointment for us locals for the opportunities lost. So it seems. However, it's not a complete loss. Much is still to be created. We have time. The call for better design and human scale is being heard....

We have a burgeoning new part of town - that is unlike, for better and worse, any other part of town. I guess we can live with that, as long as there are people on the streets and a diversity of activities (still to be seen). Either way, it will be surrounded by Boston. Maybe we'll rub off on it?

nm -- you are right about the amount yet to be done -- I was driving through trying to get to Dot Ave from the I-90 connector in the Seaport -- made one wrong turn and ended up touring many many acres and blocks of old warehouses and semi-empty lots just a few good heaves from the the BCEC and the Seaport

Papas and many of the old land owners are still land owners back there -- that will be the next gen development area for the Seaport as it matures and migrates inland from the wharfs

The Seaport / Innovation District and environs will become-- just as every other part of Bostons has become -- it will be its own bit of Boston -- just give it time

CSTH -- You draw too many Mega Conclusions without nearly enough evidence -- Are you an astronomer [pro or ameteur] by any chance -- they are notorious for creating classes of objects from one example {google BL Lacertae Object}

Management consultant...so yeah, guilty as charged.

I'm familiar with all of your examples, but I can't figure out what conclusion you think they support.

Management consultant...so yeah, guilty as charged.

I'm familiar with all of your examples, but I can't figure out what conclusion you think they support.

Don't get him started. Before the end of it, we will get the unabridged history of Sanskrit, Mesopotomian religions and the wonders of the Lost Library of Alexandria.

Don't get him started. Before the end of it, we will get the unabridged history of Sanskrit, Mesopotomian religions and the wonders of the Lost Library of Alexandria.

Let alone this is the 700000000th time the discussion of 'the Seaport sucks' has been had.

People just need to chill out. In five years, once people live there and the streetscape is move active and developed, the seaport will be be seen as a success. It wont be an architectural marvel, but it will be fine.

I never had a problem with how the Seaport is shaping up. Its not the Back Bay or North End, but no one is building neighborhoods like that anymore. And as others have noted, we already have those neighborhoods and the Seaport will be a nice contrast to them.

I never had a problem with how the Seaport is shaping up. Its not the Back Bay or North End, but no one is building neighborhoods like that anymore. And as others have noted, we already have those neighborhoods and the Seaport will be a nice contrast to them.

I have to agree with this. It is a different kind of urban neighborhood than we have elsewhere in the city. It should attract additional urban dwellers, looking for this difference.

I do hope that the street activation gets better with time (and I am hopeful given new project proposals). Seaport is currently a very car centric, drive up and valet neighborhood.

I have to agree with this. It is a different kind of urban neighborhood than we have elsewhere in the city. .... Seaport is currently a very car centric, drive up and valet neighborhood.

Jeff -- if the current plans stick it will be a very fast drive-up and pitstop neighborhood come next Labor Day weekend

Now -- not saying that I truly endorse the concept of the Grand Prix of Innovation or whatever they plan to call it -- but -- you've got to admit that if you want a car race in the core of Boston - -the Seaport / Innovation District is your only option

So it just adds to the possibilities -- Boston the home of: the Marathon; the Head of the Charles; Ocean Yacht Racing; some various bicycling events; World Series; NBA Basketball Championships; Stanley Cup; 2016 ISU World Figure Skating Championships®; and now the Grand Prix of Innovation

Throw in the Cliff Diving from the ICA and the Olympics {oops} and I don't think there is another city on the Planet with such diverse sporting events of international caliber

and just next month, on February 11 and 12, 2016, let's not forget "Big Air at Fenway, an International Ski Federation World Cup and part of the U.S. Grand Prix tour." It will feature big air snowboarding and freeskiing with a 140-foot high snow ramp, taller than the light towers at the ballpark.

Maybe Kraft should convince the NFL owners that he should host a Superbowl in Foxboro

From 2/2

Are these two buildings connected in the middle? I thought it was supposed to be sorta like Hub on Causeway where the middle was a giant entrance to both, but now I'm wondering if they're actually going to be 2 separate structures?

Back