The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: One Seaport Square | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Are these two buildings connected in the middle? I thought it was supposed to be sorta like Hub on Causeway where the middle was a giant entrance to both, but now I'm wondering if they're actually going to be 2 separate structures?

They share an underground parking garage and will have multiple levels of retail fronting a shared pedestrian plaza connecting the Courthouse MBTA Station with the actual Courthouse Building. But they are indeed two separate towers: The Benjamin and Via.

They share an underground parking garage and will have multiple levels of retail fronting a shared pedestrian plaza connecting the Courthouse MBTA Station with the actual Courthouse Building. But they are indeed two separate towers: The Benjamin and Via.

From what I remember of the renders, there was a shared podium between the two.

r4ogrJQgLcEP_FcjJQ1309Ryit0VpoxbwJk4whurNXc.jpg

Is this shared plaza a covered one? Or are the plans different from what we see on this render?

15rfoes.jpg

This one's from Northern Avenue. Interesting, because I don't think there are any other renders of the project from that side.

ljr7l.jpg

Best one i could find on the street level between them.

Best one i could find on the street level between them.

funny that each image looks totally different... bottom one looks pretty nice, but i seriously doubt it will look like that in the end..

I'm not sure I'm seeing what makes them drastically different other than the simulated time of day in the two renderings. The lower rendering is as viewed from the back side from the corner of the federal courthouse looking toward the PWC building.

I'm just glad they didn't jam the sidewalks in the lower, less stylised rendering full of pedestrians to make it look like Herald Square in Manhattan on a Saturday afternoon. After all is said and done, this looks to be a realistic density of people who'd be out for lunch during a weekday in the summer.

One looks short and fat, the other looks tall and skinny. In person they look tall and skinny...almost a little bit of wasted space?

I'm so looking forward to when this is finished and up and running with all the residents and retail that's going in. If the finished product is anything like the renderings, One Seaport Square will be a stunning, wonderful addition to the neighborhood. With all the other just completed/under construction or soon to be under construction buildings, in five years the Seaport will be almost unrecognizable from even ten years ago.

Honestly from what I see now this area is going to be incredible. I see seaport blvd becoming the modern newbury st by the sea. What i mean by this is newbury st is just a street lined with trees retail and old charm. People go there just to walk down and back up the other side to shop. With seaport square, pwc, 121 seaport, parcel m, and the whiskey priest development you will have that same type of option but just a modern take of it. A retail destination boulevard you walk along until you find what you like. On top of that afte you shop you will be able to cross the street and go over to pier 4 to take in the ocean side views while walking on the much expanded harbor walk. This is a hige plus for boston because all of those great areas of the city are not going anywhere and now we are gaining a modern version that gives us much more variety.

From 2/27

From 2/28

Honestly from what I see now this area is going to be incredible. I see seaport blvd becoming the modern newbury st by the sea. What i mean by this is newbury st is just a street lined with trees retail and old charm. People go there just to walk down and back up the other side to shop. With seaport square, pwc, 121 seaport, parcel m, and the whiskey priest development you will have that same type of option but just a modern take of it. A retail destination boulevard you walk along until you find what you like. On top of that afte you shop you will be able to cross the street and go over to pier 4 to take in the ocean side views while walking on the much expanded harbor walk. This is a hige plus for boston because all of those great areas of the city are not going anywhere and now we are gaining a modern version that gives us much more variety.

Stick-- a clever observation -- If the Seaport / Innovation District is to become the "New Back Bay" circa early 21st C -- then we need both residential blocks such as Marlboro, Beacon and Com Ave + assorted crossing streets as well as the equivalent of the retail commerce on Newbury and the nearly pure business on Boylston

With few exceptions, its the totality of Newbury St., and especially the dense vitality of the ground floor retail activity, rather than the individual buildings that makes it a successful pedestrian friendly street

Despite the width of the street and height of the street wall -- Seaport Blvd is definitely shaping up to be much more a 21st C version of Newbury rather than any kind of comparison to Com Ave or Beacon St.

Boylston is a more natural comparison

CSTH -- no I don't think so -- outside of the Pru Complex and way back to the original Four Seasons on the Public Garden there are very few residences along Boylston. The street is nearly all retail on the ground floor and major business above or institutional buildings.

Ok

Im not really even comparing this to newbury st. I was just using it as a reference point. Im just essentially saying with what we know so far this looks like it will be another good option when it comes to window shopping/dining. Alone that wouldnt be that special but the way it will be tied to the sea is what I think will make this unique. A waterfront modern shopping/bar/restaurant destination on the waterfront 5 minutes from downtown Boston. Someone on here mentioned before that at build out it will allow people to do a harborwalk bar crawl if they choose to. Thats cool.

I will support this thought. Newbury has a very time specific feel to it that has everything to do with the 30-50 foot rule. That is, for a pedestrian oriented street to have enough vitality to keep a walkers interest, the landscape (physical, and/or visual) needs to change every 30-50 feet. Seaport Blvd will not do that enough to feel like Newbury.

The Boylston St compare is pretty accurate as there will be significant variation per block, not multiple times per block

cca

Im not really even comparing this to newbury st. I was just using it as a reference point. Im just essentially saying with what we know so far this looks like it will be another good option when it comes to window shopping/dining. Alone that wouldnt be that special but the way it will be tied to the sea is what I think will make this unique. A waterfront modern shopping/bar/restaurant destination on the waterfront 5 minutes from downtown Boston. Someone on here mentioned before that at build out it will allow people to do a harborwalk bar crawl if they choose to. Thats cool.

Stick -- some good points

The key to making the Seaport / Innovation District into a successful new neighborhood is the integration, or lack there of, between the now traditional waterfront buildings, including the first gen of modern development such as the Court House and the buildings actually built onto piers e.g. World Trade Complex, with the next block inland now being developed.

There are hints that the architects, particularly the landscape-types, are trying to hard with things such as sea steps -- this is an urban waterfront not a beach on the Cape. The developers and their architects need to keep in mind that its mostly a new neighborhood which happens to border the harbor, much as the North End connects to the harbor -- not just some purely harbor-centric development.

Back