The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I would post my pictures from this weekend:

The rest of my pictures of the Clarendon going up are HERE

Ah the obvious new innovation -- Plywood the new sheathing material

Why stop with using it during construction -- just Leave the plywood -- then the new resident, office user, etc. can customize the space completely. You can cut as many holes of whatever shape that you desire for windows, you can paint the interior and exterior with any color or design, you can hang internal shelves or external window boxes at any point -- the opportunities for customization are well neigh endless!

And -- if you move out the landlord just rips the old plywood off and puts on a new sheet (perhaps it ought to be oriented strand board though as its a lot easier to recycle)

Plywood the new sheathing -- I like it!!

Westy

Ah the obvious new innovation -- Plywood the new sheathing material
Plywood the new sheathing -- I like it!!

It will never work in Boston though. Plywood casts much colder shadows than most materials.

Today! starting to show on the skyline! again takeing while driving!
xxxphoto403.jpg
xxxphoto404.jpg

It will never work in Boston though. Plywood casts much colder shadows than most materials.

Yea but it reduces solar glare by over 72%.

I like your idea Westy. It's both hilarious and practical.

Friday:

img5308qb3.jpg

img5311yw0.jpg

Lots going on here:

img5312jl9.jpg

img5313fa0.jpg

still looking at the backside, but from the alley now. Note the off-white brick.

img5315wb6.jpg

img5316nh6.jpg

img5317fk2.jpg

img5318li4.jpg

img5319vv5.jpg

More facade, now at the southwest corner.

img5320mz6.jpg

img5321gx4.jpg

img5323kr4.jpg

img5325fa8.jpg

Two weeks from now we should have a decent idea of what this building will look like.

img5326zu5.jpg

img5327jg4.jpg

img5328al9.jpg

Shit. It looks like they cheapened out on the side that faces the Pike, although I still keep my fingers crossed.

Re:Columbus Center, looks like nothing has changed since I was there in April (I love those stables across the street.)

Does it look like those are really short floor-ceiling heights or is it just me?

This building has some interesting floor to floor dimensions.

The lower residential floors are fairly typical at 9'-2" floor to floor (which is kind of on the small side, but not too much so), but every 6th floor is 11'-6"/ This happens up to the underside of level 18. At this point the floors become 10'-4" floor to floor, with the 6th floor being 12'-8". This occurs up to the underside of level 30. The last 3 floors are all at 12'-4" floor to floor with the rest above that being mechanical.

I'm assuming this would have something to do with the more expensive units towards the top, getting a larger more open feel including higher ceilings. Not sure though. I am quite intrigued by the way they put together these structural concrete form floors, as I just did a site visit on my first building using this method of construction, and was amazed by the amount of jacks required to support the small square sections while they cure.

Were there affordable unit set asides as part of the permitting approval?

Is it just me, or has this one really ballooned off of the ground quickly? I walked by this about a month ago, and cannot believe how many floors they must have added.

Concrete seems to go up a lot quicker than steel. 45 Province was the same way.

Concrete seems to go up a lot quicker than steel. 45 Province was the same way.

Au contrary, down in Miami with their construction boom, concrete has moved at a snail's pace. And I'm talking before the real estate crash. Even now down there, the buildings that get built fastest have steel frames. You don't have to wait for the welding to dry on steel like you have to wait for the concrete to harden on these types of buildings. Still, though, I can't believe how fast it's shooting up. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with efficient construction management. Kudos to these guys.

A few from today, August 9, 2008:

The rest of my pictures of The Clarendon under construction are HERE.

That plywood really gives this building life. I wouldn't be surprised if some people will be saying they should bring it back when the building is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back