The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Spent an hour the other day leaning on a lamp post, taking it all in, struck with how the neighborhood was no longer a scene of 1949. Rather like finishing a cleanout of a dead grandmother's attic.

I didn't realize there were going to be escalators here, the rendering had stairs.

Anyone know the reliability of an escalator for a 0 degree winter night? lol

Seems like a 3rd escalator would have been a smart thing here for reliability purposes.

I didn't realize there were going to be escalators here, the rendering had stairs.

Anyone know the reliability of an escalator for a 0 degree winter night? lol

Render has both.

t2.0.jpg

Theyre just not built yet, but that space on the left of the escalators in the pic a few posts up is for stairs.

Spent an hour the other day leaning on a lamp post, taking it all in, struck with how the neighborhood was no longer a scene of 1949. Rather like finishing a cleanout of a dead grandmother's attic.

In 1949 the area was a vibrant, hopping place. North Station was a massive railway hub, there was a beautiful large hotel where the hideous O’Neill building is now, and the ugly elevated Central Artery had not yet landed over the neighborhood. By 1989 it was in the toilet, but not 1949.

In 1949 the area was a vibrant, hopping place. North Station was a massive railway hub, there was a beautiful large hotel where the hideous O’Neill building is now, and the ugly elevated Central Artery had not yet landed over the neighborhood. In 1989 it was in the toilet, but not 1049.

Shit in 1049 this area was a whole lot...greener, and the population swung wildly in the favor of the....native americans.

In 1949 the area was a vibrant, hopping place. North Station was a massive railway hub, there was a beautiful large hotel where the hideous O’Neill building is now, and the ugly elevated Central Artery had not yet landed over the neighborhood. By 1989 it was in the toilet, but not 1949.

Fair enough. 1959 then. Rail travel was on its last legs, and railroad hotels like Manger/Madison (and the Essex) were drooping. The West End was blitzed. The Artery was there. Just about everything that was there in 59 was there in 89.

P.S. It is a stretch to call the Manger "beautiful". It is a Deco loss though.

I like the section on the lower floors on Causeway St. that connects up the pieces...the "windows" evoke the old Garden facade. And the section on the right reminds me of the industrial buildings that populated the area.

As fas as the escalators go, looks like the concourse will be climate controlled year round, or whenever there's a game there. :cool:

Washington DC Metro escalators had trouble not from cold, but from snow, slush, and sometimes rain. They now have 'roofs'
02.02.12news-flickr-dupontsouth-edit-580x326.jpg

Washington DC Metro escalators had trouble not from cold, but from snow, slush, and sometimes rain. They now have 'roofs'

Washington DC Metro escalators have trouble from everything. Even their indoor climate controlled escalators are notorious for breaking down all the time (and sometimes staying down for months to years). It's become such a thing that the DC Metro has a webpage devoted the current status of their escalators - note that many are currently not expected to return to service until 2019.

Plenty of T escalators run year-round in in only minimally heated spaces. The Hub on Causeway vestibule is enclosed. It will no-doubt be warmer and dryer in the winter than, say, any of a number of door-less street-level escalators at Downtown Crossing.

Off topic, but in general the T actually does a really good job keeping their escalators running.

Last edited:
Is there going to be a T subway stop at this site? Presumably there is one for the Garden? I'm not a Boston native, but isn't North Station really close by?

Is there going to be a T subway stop at this site? Presumably there is one for the Garden? I'm not a Boston native, but isn't North Station really close by?

Both the Green and Orange lines have stations across Causway Street from The Hub which is directly in front of the TD Garden/North Station (NS is the ground floor of the TD Garden). A tunnel will connect the T Stations to The Hub/North Station.
Checkout the top two photos, up thread item #3154. It shows you the relationship of The Hub (left) and the TD Garden (right).

Washington DC Metro escalators have trouble from everything. Even their indoor climate controlled escalators are notorious for breaking down all the time (and sometimes staying down for months to years). It's become such a thing that the DC Metro has a webpage devoted the current status of their escalators - note that many are currently not expected to return to service until 2019.

Plenty of T escalators run year-round in in only minimally heated spaces. The Hub on Causeway vestibule is enclosed. It will no-doubt be warmer and dryer in the winter than, say, any of a number of door-less street-level escalators at Downtown Crossing.

Off topic, but in general the T actually does a really good job keeping their escalators running.

Oh come on, DC has like 600 escalators, Boston has like 12.

Charlie Jacobs is talking about the project, details, Bulfinch Triangle, their trip to China.... and even taking questions about the North End nimby's on 98.5 Sportshub.....

Both the Green and Orange lines have stations across Causway Street from The Hub which is directly in front of the TD Garden/North Station (NS is the ground floor of the TD Garden). A tunnel will connect the T Stations to The Hub/North Station.
Checkout the top two photos, up thread item #3154. It shows you the relationship of The Hub (left) and the TD Garden (right).

From the pics on this thread, I can tell that the hub is basically the opposite end of the block as TD Garden. But after posting yesterday, I looked North Station up and remembered reading that its under the Garden, just like Penn Station is under Madison Square Garden in NYC.

Back