The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Love the base. Don't care about the height. The height fetishism on here is getting annoying.

Height is a good tool to increase density. Even if height isn't the only tool to increase density, if you are a fan of urbanity, lively streets, well-supported local establishments, high-functioning public transportation, and everything else that comes with density, you should embrace height as a tool to increase density.

Anyone else think there's a missed opportunity with the central/connecting building over the passageway? I'm not saying higher, I'm saying a little more....interesting.

Before any asks - yes I recognize that's urban design OCD, and yes I recognize the plan is such a net positive that nitpicking a small detail is foolish. Still......make the most of every bit, this is a great project, but we only get one shot with it.

I assume they need to build the base to accommodate a tower of a certain size so they couldn't materially change the height of the tower later. Can any engineers comment on this?

Don't care about the height. The height fetishism on here is getting annoying.

When we run out of space downtown sooner than we have to, we'll look back at all the missed opportunities where we could have had another 5 floors here, 10 floors there, and in some cases could/should have had 20+ floors more for some of these buildings.

Then you'll care, because instead of being efficient with its space, Boston will have to start knocking down more Dainty Dots to accommodate demand.

When we run out of space downtown sooner than we have to, we'll look back at all the missed opportunities where we could have had another 5 floors here, 10 floors there, and in some cases could/should have had 20+ floors more for some of these buildings.

Then you'll care, because instead of being efficient with its space, Boston will have to start knocking down more Dainty Dots to accommodate demand.

As we've gone over a million times before, it doesn't matter if a tower in the downtown core is 40, 50, or 60 stories. It's not going to significantly impact the market. The only way to do that is to build a ton of ~30-story affordable/moderate income towers (essentially what the DDR did) further outside the core.

As we've gone over a million times before, it doesn't matter if a tower in the downtown core is 40, 50, or 60 stories. It's not going to significantly impact the market. The only way to do that is to build a ton of ~30-story affordable/moderate income towers (essentially what the DDR did) further outside the core.

Don't disregard a positive step just because it isn't a huge positive step. Sure, adding another dozen units to a building downtown isn't as good as adding another couple thousand units in the form of multiple 30-story buildings near transit in Dorchester, but it is still a positive step. This building being taller with more residential units would be a good thing.

There is no reason to underutilize the core just because we have more demand than the core can handle. The core will always be unaffordable if the supply isn't there. Boston doesn't seem to get that it's one of the 10 biggest cities in the country, not some sleepy suburb.

Also, the fact is, the taller tower got APPROVED to 600'. It's generally outrageously difficult to get that kind of height approved in Boston. To underutilize that opportunity is a big mistake, made even worse with the current designs. A grand podium, marred by 2 of the ugliest towers in the city flanking the Garden's entrance. Even Nashua Street is taller than the current iteration. If this is supposed to be the centerpiece of the North Station area, and it has the approvals to be, then maybe it should act like it rather than deliver the most underwhelming towers possible in such an important location.

I guess it was trying to keep pace with the neighboring West End's ugliness. Like, the podium is too nice, so they had to just mail it in with the towers.

I've got no problem with the buildings being '500 each (and they look to be about that), but given the very many developable plots around here I wish this established a more tall/thin vernacular rather than a ren and stumpy one..

But to what matters most - the ground floor is excellent and it's drowning in retail. Have to love that. I hope they can stuff it with as many bars/watering holes as possible. We should have a half dozen more of these developments around the city.

The base is incredible. Im not even mad about the height of the towers its not that big of a deal, the only thing I would like to see is higher quality design/materials for the towers. What was proposed was something fresh, unique, and different. These are just two generic blue glass boxes which has been played out in every city in the world. The residential tower looked good and it also looked like nothing I have seen before. The black glass tower although it was nothing special it would be unique to Boston and makes for a great addition. Its absolutely not too much to ask for higher quality because this city deserves it. That being said Boston is known for its street level presence and this delivers.

Last edited:

Love the base. Don't care about the height. The height fetishism on here is getting annoying.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one reading a number of threads on here that seem overly height-focused.

Height is a good tool to increase density. Even if height isn't the only tool to increase density, if you are a fan of urbanity, lively streets, well-supported local establishments, high-functioning public transportation, and everything else that comes with density, you should embrace height as a tool to increase density.

Why "should" one embrace height as a density increaser? Is that subjective to what one's personal tastes are? Maybe width or an overall structure's shape is one's "cup of tea" concerning construction/design preference in regards to density. I'm not saying they're as practical...

I'm just saying, to each their own (the height thing here is coming off like the cupcake fetish of the desert world 3 years ago...and then there was the Crumbs fallout)

Menino pushed that increase to 600' through for them at the end of his term I am surprised they would take it back down. I love the base but hate losing out on something taller considering those chances don't come around often.

Boston Properties wheeled this into tonight's BCDC Meeting:

https://twitter.com/BosBizCatherine/status/638852008515141632

CN2oglpWcAEwbM5.jpg:large

It was previously reported that Boston Properties was seeking a developer for the residential tower so perhaps these towers are not final designs as they are phase 2 and 3.

I have to agree with davem's comment (post #872), I preferred the original render. Loved the boston garden play and thought the other half's brick siding fit in better with bullfinch triangle. Also liked the variation in tower height more, even if they weren't beautiful towers

I have to agree with davem's comment (post #872), I preferred the original render. Loved the boston garden play and thought the other half's brick siding fit in better with bullfinch triangle. Also liked the variation in tower height more, even if they weren't beautiful towers

Actually, I'm not sure what Dave saw there. It seems to be the same design to me, just missing the lettering, which was great but can be added anytime down the road.

Also, the fact is, the taller tower got APPROVED to 600'. It's generally outrageously difficult to get that kind of height approved in Boston. To underutilize that opportunity is a big mistake, made even worse with the current designs.

Yes, it did. You seem to have completely missed the implication of that. Boston Properties isn't building at 600' anymore because it can't sell it. It's not the neighbors. It's not the BRA. It's not some bleeding heart trying to save their beautiful sleepy little town. All of those forces allowed this project at 600'. When the developer chose to reduce it, you can be pissed at the developer, but don't get pissed at "Boston." It's not "Boston's" fault.

Equilibria, it's not the same design. The render Dave posted has a different facade

Equilibria, it's not the same design. The render Dave posted has a different facade

No, it doesn't. The window treatment varies because the bar across the middle is cream-colored, and the windows are probably different. That's not a different facade, it's an altered facade. It definitely doesn't stray far enough that it no longer pays homage to the Garden... I do agree that the design on the end of the building changed a ton and lessens the impact of the Garden redux, but I think the new version is handsome, too.

On the other side, it's changed a lot. I don't have much preference either way.

Yes, it did. You seem to have completely missed the implication of that. Boston Properties isn't building at 600' anymore because it can't sell it. It's not the neighbors. It's not the BRA. It's not some bleeding heart trying to save their beautiful sleepy little town. All of those forces allowed this project at 600'. When the developer chose to reduce it, you can be pissed at the developer, but don't get pissed at "Boston." It's not "Boston's" fault.

While you are correct that it's not "Boston's" fault per se, if there is any place in the entire city that can support a building of 600' it is North Station (and South Station for that matter). Unless you have access to BP's actual financial projections, I'm not sure how that conclusion can be made, especially on the residential side when considering the tall towers going up in the Back Bay. As for the office portion, it is a suburban commuter's dream to take the commuter rail directly to work and not have to deal with the subway and, imo, a better option from a commuting standpoint than anything in the seaport district.

Back