The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Using more glass is a nice upgrade, imo.

Official groundbreaking ceremony today
This popped up on my instagram feed

IMG_0759 by Shane Moher, on Flickr

looks just like atlantic wharf from one angle

Here are high-resolution renders of the most recent iteration of the towers and street-level:

http://www.tdgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/TheHubOnCauseway-Renderings.pdf

ENJOY!

Thanks! Good stuff.

t0wQenf.jpg

330keao.jpg

4Pj124D.jpg

jQ1luUU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zZHqXbQ.gif

Seriously, there is no better movie theater I've been to than the ArcLight Hollywood & Cinerama Dome. As a frequent movie-goer (70+ trips to the movie theater annually), getting an ArcLight Cinema with this project is such exciting news!

Boston went so long with a relative shortage of full-sized movie theater options on the T. Now we have THREE under construction transit-oriented multi-building mixed-use development projects with movie theaters: Assembly Row, One Seaport Square, and Hub on Causeway.

I liked the previous top of the office building more than this one. This crown is way too PoMo for my tastes. That first picture where you don't see the center tallest part of the building from the street is the best looking of the group.

Adding extra boxes and spires to make a building taller does not necessarily make for better architecture, just more expensive buildings.

Boston went so long with a relative shortage of full-sized movie theater options on the T. Now we have THREE under construction transit-oriented multi-building mixed-use development projects with movie theaters: Assembly Row, One Seaport Square, and Hub on Causeway.

Somewhere, Ron Newman is grinning like a fool. :)

When you count the AMC Boston Common and the Regal Fenway, we will have 5 major, full-sized theaters on the T. Makes one wonder if we really can support all of these theaters.

It bothers me that the spire is on what should be by all rights the back of the building. I k owe it faces I-93. But the fact that the new office building is buried behind the to garden for 1/3 of its height makes this unequivocally the back of the building. My spatial intuition keeps shouting at me, insisting that the spire should be on the east corner, facing the victor.

Last edited:

I understand the intent of the spire being placed on the north face of the building to "welcome folk" into Boston, but it feels weird to me (like the spire is on the "back of the building) and is ignoring the pedestrian experience on Causeway and inside Boston on the Greenway.

I feel like this positioning would be the equivalent of Atlantic Wharf having placed its spire on the channel side because it would "look better" in postcards, etc versus current positioning that meets the active streetscape below.

Long story short, I'd like to see them move the spire to the south face.

I understand the intent of the spire being placed on the north face of the building to "welcome folk" into Boston, but it feels weird to me (like the spire is on the "back of the building) and is ignoring the pedestrian experience on Causeway and inside Boston on the Greenway.

I feel like this positioning would be the equivalent of Atlantic Wharf having placed its spire on the channel side because it would "look better" in postcards, etc versus current positioning that meets the active streetscape below.

Long story short, I'd like to see them move the spire to the south face.

Why not put complementary spires on both faces?

^+1

When you count the AMC Boston Common and the Regal Fenway, we will have 5 major, full-sized theaters on the T. Makes one wonder if we really can support all of these theaters.

Regal and Boston Common theaters are disgusting and in desperate need of renovation.

Regal and Boston Common theaters are disgusting and in desperate need of renovation.

I can understand Regal but Boston Common is disgusting? Its a movie theater not the Four Seasons!

Did someone say two spires?

cYCm31T.jpg

vNasZDO.jpg

Back