The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

^ do we know for sure that the podium is actually all steel all the way across? Those more intimate with the plans can confirm, but it doesn't seem implausible that the podium on the left side of the great hall could be concrete while to the right side could be steel. That might also explain the disparity in steel work on the left side thus far.

^ do we know for sure that the podium is actually all steel all the way across? Those more intimate with the plans can confirm, but it doesn't seem implausible that the podium on the left side of the great hall could be concrete while to the right side could be steel. That might also explain the disparity in steel work on the left side thus far.

That would be a very atypical approach to the structure.

If there's one thing I have noticed about concrete construction, it's that the core never gets more than a couple floors ahead of the rest of the structure. The residential core here is already too high for me to think it's going to be anything other than steel.

If there's one thing I have noticed about concrete construction, it's that the core never gets more than a couple floors ahead of the rest of the structure. The residential core here is already too high for me to think it's going to be anything other than steel.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but here is my prediction based on what we have seen so far and what I can see via the Webcam.

It appears that they are preparing the bottom of the site for some sort of mat foundation pour. The anchorages on the bottom of the site also seem to be more conducive to concrete supports, rather than steel. In fact, if you look closely at the area of the mat near the new steel structure, there appear to be some small, CIP, vertical supports.

I predict the entire left side of the site, podium, hotel, residential tower will be CIP concrete. The core will resume climbing once the super-structure of the residential tower reaches the current height.

I could be completely wrong. But that is my guess/prediction.

That would be a very atypical approach to the structure.

I agree it would be unexpected, but I can't think of a prohibitory reason why the podium couldn't in fact be like two abutting buildings as opposed to one contiguous building. They're building phases 1 & 2 together, so if CIP concrete is desired for the residential/hotel structures, there would be no phasing or logistical reason it couldn't happen for that entire side of the project. Meanwhile, on the right side, adding steel onto steel (e.g., if the phase 3 office bldg. ever happens) could make more sense.

I predict the entire left side of the site, podium, hotel, residential tower will be CIP concrete. The core will resume climbing once the super-structure of the residential tower reaches the current height.

^ my guess as well

This is pure conjecture on my part, but here is my prediction based on what we have seen so far and what I can see via the Webcam.

It appears that they are preparing the bottom of the site for some sort of mat foundation pour. The anchorages on the bottom of the site also seem to be more conducive to concrete supports, rather than steel. In fact, if you look closely at the area of the mat near the new steel structure, there appear to be some small, CIP, vertical supports.

This is making more sense to me the more I think about it. I just remembered Arclight Cinema will be in the podium of the residential tower. Concrete will do a far better job of insulating sound & vibrations from the cinema, keeping noise in, than with a steel structure.

Old and outdated but typing hub on causeway this showed up on google where it has never been there before so figured I would post it.

3d-visualization-BostonProperties-03.jpg

visiting the page there are a bunch of renders here:

http://www.tangram3ds.com/hub-causeway/

Want 50,000 new high paying jobs?

Buy out TD for their naming rights and rename this thing Amazon Garden.

Add one of two more towers on the other side of the arena to complete the campus.

Cutting edge transit-friendly.

Get the N-S Rail link done and you have the city of the 21st century.

Done.

You are all very welcome.

Last edited:
^Throw in a pedestrian bridge direct to Northpoint and convert that county jail in between and you've got yourself even more space to work with.

I thought they're building the res straight through? Looks like the core is done and ready for the rebar to be capped for now.

How satisfying it will be when most of the basement's construction has concluded, and the laser focus has turned skyward; a milestone for the site of the former Boston Garden.

Last edited:
BeeLine, what are those two recent photos? Samples of the eventual finishes for the two podium buildings? (And yes, as was mentioned earlier when contrasting the concrete and steel, looking back at the plans it does look like the podium actually is 2 buildings with a really, really fancy alley between them.)

BeeLine, what are those two recent photos? Samples of the eventual finishes for the two podium buildings? (And yes, as was mentioned earlier when contrasting the concrete and steel, looking back at the plans it does look like the podium actually is 2 buildings with a really, really fancy alley between them.)

You are correct. The top photo is the sampler for the Residental/Hotel Podium and the bottom is the sampler for the Office podium. One thing I just noticed is that the Residental/Hotel podium is shorter than the Office podium. Not sure why I missed that before.
https://flic.kr/p/YpyyYM

Does anyone else think there's something slightly deceptive about the red sample? I took the rendering to mean it indicated brick. Obviously I should know better by now. The articulation of the masonry is much nicer, even if it's just veneer.

In that render, there are two buildings and two different aesthetics, perhaps that is just a mock up for one of the buildings. It looks like it's for the building on the right, judging from the darker metal horizontal paneling.

Back