The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

Despite what the newspapers may say, the people who truly knows are the developers and the city department that approves the permits. Saying this, the facts point towards a "likely" earlier date than later.

- National Development, developer for Boston Herald, is also involved with Kensington. National Development mentioned that Kensington is starting construction in August when they were presenting the Boston Herald plans.
- Kensington provides $7mil linkage to Hong Lok House. If Kensington was not ready, the linkage funds probably would not have move forward. Hong Lok House recently held their ceremony attended by the Mayor on Aug 4th. At the ceremony, it was indicated at that construction will begin in August.

Let's just hope so. Keep us up to date Cblogger.

I hate to be wrong with my first post, but I believe there is action on the Kensington parcel. Looks like they brought in excavating equipment and dirt is being moved. Chinatown Blogger, any information?

Last edited:

Cool name, Next Stop, here,s hoping you're right about the equipment.

There was a small article in the Herald or Metro last week saying The Kennsington was breaking ground this Friday?

I'll definitely swing down there Friday and see what's up.

and from the Herald:

Hopes high as work set for long-stalled tower
Ex-theater site to get 381 apartments
By Thomas Grillo
Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A residential development approved in 2003 will finally break ground this Friday on a fenced-in vacant lot on lower Washington Street.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Boston Redevelopment Authority officials will join the Kensington Investment Co. at the long-awaited groundbreaking for the 27-story Kensington tower. The $172 million project at the corner of Washington and LaGrange streets – the former Gaiety Theatre site — will offer 381 luxury rental apartments with services including club rooms, a rooftop pool with landscaped terrace, a fitness center and ground-floor shops.

“This is a very exciting moment,” Menino told the Herald. “These luxury rental units with great amenities will enhance the Downtown Crossing neighborhood.”

As part of its contribution to the city’s affordable housing mandate, Kensington Investment Co. has provided more than $7 million to Hong Lok House, a nearby affordable assisted-living center in Chinatown, which will provide 75 units of housing for seniors.

While the former Filene’s site remains dormant down the street, the Kensington is the first of several Downtown Crossing area projects that will get under way this year. Later this fall, Hayward Place, a $200 million residential project across from the Paramount Theater, is also expected to break ground. The 15-story building will have 265 housing units and will replace a parking lot on lower Washington Street.

Link

4253f4_101111Kensington_illus.jpg

^^^ Rendering from the Herald.

It will be fine. It will blend into the city and you won't even notice it. Just they type of building we need more of.

It will be fine. It will blend into the city and you won't even notice it. Just they type of building we need more of.

I agree -- at the skyline level it will be insignificant

Taking a quick Google Map street view of the intersection of Washington St. and Lagrange St. -- there are 2 or three nice old buildings near by and the rest are nondescript things including the Ritz Millennium complex

The only aspect which will really be important is how does the Kensington relate at the street level to the city for both pedestrians and people in vehicles:

1) does it provide something other than a blank wall and a private entrance that people hurry past at twilight
2) does it have a DD or a Starbucks, etc where someone can get shelter from broiling summer heat or February sleet
3) does it offer a place with a bit of shelter and sidewalk seats to spend sometime on a pleasant spring or autumn afternoon
4) does it offer a place for a resident to pick-up a magazine or a box of chocolates for an impromptu present on the way home for a commuter

/\ Totally /\

At this point on Washington St it will be far more important for the building to work on the first few floors where people will interact with it. Everyone is concerned with the skyline but people don't live on the skyline, they live on the street level.

I agree -- at the skyline level it will be insignificant

Taking a quick Google Map street view of the intersection of Washington St. and Lagrange St. -- there are 2 or three nice old buildings near by and the rest are nondescript things including the Ritz Millennium complex

The only aspect which will really be important is how does the Kensington relate at the street level to the city for both pedestrians and people in vehicles:

1) does it provide something other than a blank wall and a private entrance that people hurry past at twilight
2) does it have a DD or a Starbucks, etc where someone can get shelter from broiling summer heat or February sleet
3) does it offer a place with a bit of shelter and sidewalk seats to spend sometime on a pleasant spring or autumn afternoon
4) does it offer a place for a resident to pick-up a magazine or a box of chocolates for an impromptu present on the way home for a commuter
There's a D&D and CVS located on the same street within one block so it must be significantly different from either of those two. Maybe a panera bread. Would love it if they put an IHOP there.

May some large plate glass windows and a single entrance into a large lobby?

You know some thing different, mix it up a bit.

Design-wise, this project has been dramatically downgraded from its former iteration. The massing has been simplified and the gentle curves of the tower have been removed. But I'm more alarmed at what this building will look like from the street. La Grange St is permanently alley'fied by a three-story parking garage and Boylston Sq., which the developer promised to transform into a shop-lined pedestrian street, now becomes a loading dock.

This is the sort of building we definitely do not need more of.

I'll post some before and afters when I get a chance.

Last edited:

The front of 888 Washington St, the Archstone building, is a failure. There's an entrance (or exit) from the garage and empty retail which, even if occupied, wouldn't fall out into street; I think they are interior entrances?

That is a depressing slideshow. And, a clear instance of where bigger is not better.

This tower is nondescript, but still better than what's currently across the street (if the renderings are accurate).

Back