The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

So, they are really moving rocks around!

IMAG0068.jpg

Excellent, hopefully they'll be placing a ceremonial cornerstone tomorrow at 2. :)

Not that this is an improvement but I've been sick of the whole "glass swoop" for a while now. At least this isn't another one on the skyline. It's a box but whatever, it will fade into the back and no one will notice it.

As opposed to what used to be on that lot, which was something special.

At one time -- yes

But even with universities adopting some of them there are already a surplus of theaters in the DTX area

And if you are not going to keep a theatre as a working theatre or even theater -- there are only so many facadectomies that are needed.

No -- I think the salvation to DTX is to make it into a mini version of the North End or South End -- i.e. a neighborhood of people living in a variety of residences from students in dorms to young professionals in studios and 1 bedroom apartments to families in expensive 2 and 3 bedroom condos.

These residents combined with Fin District workers, local and global visitors can then support a mix of local local and national chain shops, local restaurants and perhaps eventually something special to fill the Filenes Hole.

So in that context the $2,000 to $4000 / month apartments at the Kensington fits well into DTX

I don't mind change, I just wish we could keep the same level of quality from old to new. I can't think of a recent project where that has happened.

I don't mind change, I just wish we could keep the same level of quality from old to new. I can't think of a recent project where that has happened.

What do you define as recent?

I would say the Fosterized MFA meets the criteria

other potential recent projects of quality:

new Sloan Building at MIT

renovations to the BPL McKim building

Intercontinental Hotel interior public spaces and external landscaping

older but still recent on the 400 year scale:

Rowe's Wharf
Heritage on the Garden
Renovations to South Station
Quincy Market (1970's and recent) redos

I think in one rendering there was brick or similar on the backside.

Went to the groundbreaking today. Nothing groundbreaking (pun intended) they had the above renders splashed around. They talked about how long it took to get to this point - the economy and the glacial pace of approvals. The mayor was there. Arrived right after his speech (meeting ran long at work). Grabbed a notebook and a bit of grub and headed back to work. Can't wait to see steel rising on this corner.

I'd to split as soon as the actual ceremony began, but grabbed some pictures (uploading later on tonight) and mingled around.

LaGrange St looks like a real shithole, can't wait for this to go up, maybe it will look nicer.

"Glacial pace of approvals" -- didn't this get approved years ago? When they tore down the theatre?

LaGrange St looks like a real shithole, can't wait for this to go up, maybe it will look nicer.
This particular LaGrange St. (as opposed to the one in Westie) is one of the last remaining bits of grit in Boston. I'll be glad to see this building go up, and the Jacob Worth project, but we are closing in on the day when everything will have received the Kenmore treatment.

This particular LaGrange St. (as opposed to the one in Westie) is one of the last remaining bits of grit in Boston. I'll be glad to see this building go up, and the Jacob Worth project, but we are closing in on the day when everything will have received the Kenmore treatment.

Henry -- Nonsense there plenty of grity places in Boston -- such as:

fairly grity corners between N Station, Congress St. Garage and the Greenway

girty (read kinda run down industrial / warehouse) blocks along Dorchester Ave., just below the South Postal Annex

the area on Summer St. just across the Reserve Channel (near the Cruiseport) between the old South Boston Power Station and the Conley Container Terminal

Unless he was refering to the last of the Combat Zone kind of girt,then I agree,that once very gritty,exciting,dangerous,ect,ect,ect place is pretty much history!

Back