The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

I recall hearing that some attempt was made to dismantle rather than just demolish the interior details. I'm glad to see these. Any idea how long they will be on display?

I don't think they're going anywhere; the displays seem to be in a location that would not necessitate their removal. The second panel is apparently an egress but I guess they got the okay to have the displays there.

FYI, the relief in the first window is not an actual panel from the Gaiety; it was made from an original, however.

Didn't part of the neighborhood extortion package require an on-site Gaiety "museum"?

At least the new sign hanging at the corner of the building is a great addition to the streetscape.

oh, these are not occupying windows of a future storefront?

It appears not. They've even given the room for the display a room number (can't read from the photo) and name "Gaiety Display"

This does seem to be a permanent display from what I saw today. There is another part of the front facing Washington that looks to be retail. And the lobby can be seen from the corner of LaGrange and Washington and I have to say, it's a stunner. Very attractive.

I notice on LaGrange Street there seems to be another retail space. It said something weird on the permanent sign next to it - "Non-profit store" or something similar. It looked to have construction people in it but my assumption is that the developer promised to allow a to-be-named non-profit to be in there as part of the "mitigation package"?

I hope that wind storm heading our way next week rips those top panels right the hell off

Last plea,

Can we stop taking pictures of this thing? Haven't we seen enough?

cca

Nevar enough pics!!!!!!!!! Don't you know, nothing exceeds like excess.

Fun Fact: The Kensington is the tallest building built in New England since Atlantic Wharf was completed in 2011 and the 2nd tallest building built in Boston in over four years.

Much of the Kensington will be masked by other buildings, so it poses less of an affront to the senses than say a building like the Radian, which cannot hide.

It will be interesting to compare the curbside appeal of the Kensington with that of the Radian, as both originally sought to retain the existing streetscape facades. While the Radian is not yet down to the sidewalk, the transition between its lowest two floors and the tower hints of a banal streetfront.

Much of the Kensington will be masked by other buildings, so it poses less of an affront to the senses than say a building like the Radian, which cannot hide.

It will be interesting to compare the curbside appeal of the Kensington with that of the Radian, as both originally sought to retain the existing streetscape facades. While the Radian is not yet down to the sidewalk, the transition between its lowest two floors and the tower hints of a banal streetfront.

I find the Radian to be a good looking building and as far as the curbside appeal of the Kensington, frankly, I find the Kensington "orange" quite appealing! I also have high hopes for the street-level of the Radian.

Re: Residences at Kensington

Love this angle. Where was it taken?

10471287005_c61212016d_b.jpg

Back