The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

Yeah, that must have been what I was thinking of. It all seems to work there. Strange how our tolerance of certain architectures is so conditioned by context even when we're not strict contextualists.

Absolutely awful. No soul, no class, no life. Nothing. It's just there, and already feels like a mistake from 15 years ago.

You thinking of this? The Shinjuku Washington Hotel.

623px-Shinjuku_Washington_Hotel.JPG

Aurora%20Cruise%20Ship%20-%20P%20&%20O%20Cruises(1).jpg

The only good things about this are:

(1) it is that it will be blocked on all sides after the Jacob Wirths building goes up.
(2) It will create density.

I walked by yesterday too, and it is truly one of the biggest letdown developments I've seen.

Glass is going up. Taken about half an hour ago.

photo_oct_16__4_02_44_pm.jpg

photo_oct_16__4_04_07_pm.jpg

Glass isn't horrible.

I think the glazed curtain wall might be the best feature of this project.

A couple from Tuesday

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

Walking past this site the past few weeks, I've noticed that much of the structural steel work seems to occur on the weekends, with work on the glass, facade occuring during the week? To me, this seems a bit unusual. Why not just put the steel up and then begin work on the facade/windows?

Walking past this site the past few weeks, I've noticed that much of the structural steel work seems to occur on the weekends, with work on the glass, facade occuring during the week? To me, this seems a bit unusual. Why not just put the steel up and then begin work on the facade/windows?
There may be a logistics issue weekdays. IIRC, some of the initial plans for construction staging were thwarted by having two buildings going up nearly simultaneously on nearly adjacent sites.

This has to be one of the most shitastic high-rise I've ever seen in my life.

I'm still waiting for that moment where enough cladding is up that the design language becomes clear and I think, "oh, that's what they were going for." I'm still stuck in the "what the bloody hell is this shit" phase.

Last edited:

At least its better than a.... well, maybe not.

The rendering didn't fully convey the awfulness of this building. I thought it was going to be inoffensive, but I’m offended.

It looks even worse when it rains because the cladding looks like it's made of wet cardboard.

It's still early so hopefully this will come together. Right now though it almost looks like I could go to Home Depot get the materials and start building this myself. If the Harbor Towers and Millenium at DTX had a hideous child this would be it. All the same... what this can do at street level with the evolving area could provide us with a go to spot in downtown without having to go to
Fanuel.

Love it or hate it, it's still better than a parking lot. There, I've said it.

Thank you Meadowhawk! You would think in this town...and on this forum, it wouldn't be so hard to find something to be thankful for. This building isn't the best thing ever built but at least something is happening. The drought is over! and Massachusetts has two Democrats in the US Senate!

Back