The New Retail Thread

That sucks, the food court was convenient for fast, no nonsense eating when I'm passing thru

Another example of reasonably priced dining/drinking/shopping options disappearing across the whole "downtown" area... smh

Seriously it's a food court...I'm so pumped about eately you have no idea.

You want a food court go to Watertown.

Its nice to have something only nyc and Chicago have in north america, but if you hadn't seen that guy on food network would you really care? I can to whole foods and foodies for my over priced grocery needs

So is the BPL.

Can't eat Pinkberry in the BPL while using your laptop.

I also think this is really unfortunate for the Shops at Prudential Center & Copley Place employees. I say this as a former employee. The food court establishments gave retail workers discounts and were relatively affordable & varied quick dining options during a shift. Now the option is like the B&N Cafe, Tossed, Dunkin or Au Bon Pain. Copley Place's food court was eliminated by Barney's long ago.

It's just a strange decision to obliterate a food court and replace it with a niche offering. Boston is already extremely strapped for fast food. I would have preferred that Eataly went elsewhere.

Its nice to have something only nyc and Chicago have in north america, but if you hadn't seen that guy on food network would you really care? I can to whole foods and foodies for my over priced grocery needs

I'm just nitpicking to be a prick, but I never saw that guy on the Food Network. I have been to Eataly plenty of times in NYC, and it's... kind of like a food court... mixed with an artisanal grocery store. Service is fast, easy, and there are plenty of places to sit and eat. Even with your laptop if you wish!

I guess if you want to bemoan the loss of cheap, greasy mall food, and the effects that will have on the minimum-wage class that's fine... but it's not as though they're replacing the mall food court with no food. They're replacing it with better food.

It is NOTHING like Whole Foods. It's mostly imported Italian gourmet stuff. No fruit and vegetable (unless this is different from others). I think you would have grounds for complaint if this Eataly only had high-end/sit-down dining--I think if they are eliminating the food court, Prudential would have stipulated that some of the food options at Eataly have to fill that void.

Why not use your laptop at the seating in the Boylston Arcade then out front of Pinkberry? Or in one of the half dozen other seating areas in the Prudential Center with wifi access?

As someone who works within 200 feet of the Prudential Food Court, I can assure you there are no shortage of options for people to grab lunch at/under $10 near the mall. There are a number of fast and fast casual places on Newbury Street and Boylston Street close to here. The Pru will still have Au Bon Pain, Dunkin Donuts, Tossed, the Juice place, Starbucks, and all its sit down restaurants, as well as a brand new 45,000 square foot Italian Market with prepared food stations and additional dining options.

The closure of unhealthy fast food establishments--as much as you and I may be a fan of them--is a good thing. It reflects a change in demographics for the better. People with higher levels of educational attainment are privy to the harms of fast food and, when presented the option(s), will eat healthier. This and the higher disposable incomes of those living and working in Back Bay also reflect a trend toward better taste than Flamers, Panda Express, or Qdoba.

I'm happy to discuss this more comprehensively if you'd like.

I think if they are eliminating the food court, Prudential would have stipulated that some of the food options at Eataly have to fill that void.

Fair point. We'll have to see what materializes for the plan.

Why not use your laptop at the seating in the Boylston Arcade then out front of Pinkberry? Or in one of the half dozen other seating areas in the Prudential Center with wifi access?

As someone who works within 200 feet of the Prudential Food Court, I can assure you there are no shortage of options for people to grab lunch at/under $10 near the mall. There are a number of fast and fast casual places on Newbury Street and Boylston Street close to here. The Pru will still have Au Bon Pain, Dunkin Donuts, Tossed, the Juice place, Starbucks, and all its sit down restaurants, as well as a brand new 45,000 square foot Italian Market with prepared food stations and additional dining options.

The closure of unhealthy fast food establishments--as much as you and I may be a fan of them--is a good thing. It reflects a change in demographics for the better. People with higher levels of educational attainment are privy to the harms of fast food and, when presented the option(s), will eat healthier. This and the higher disposable incomes of those living and working in Back Bay also reflect a trend toward better taste than Flamers, Panda Express, or Qdoba.

I'm happy to discuss this more comprehensively if you'd like.

Great post. I agree completely, especially with your last statements. The places in that food court shouldn't even be categorized as food if based on a nutritional level. Not that Eataly will provide exceptional nutrition but at least the quality will be top notch. Look how many b good's have opened and they're all busy, as McD's and others in that category are closing stores all over the country.

That food court is shit.

Just for the record, the food court also has a Boston Chowda Co (excellent fast food chowder, soups and seafood) and Sarku Japan (rice/noodles, vegetables, chicken & sushi). Painting the Pru food court as a greasy "unhealthy" paradise is inaccurate. Those are not unhealthy options.

burp

17582629482_ec703e70b7_b.jpg

Even notice that in every food court in America, the Chinese, Japanese and Cajun food all taste the same? ;)

Just for the record, the food court also has a Boston Chowda Co (excellent fast food chowder, soups and seafood) and Sarku Japan (rice/noodles, vegetables, chicken & sushi). Painting the Pru food court as a greasy "unhealthy" paradise is inaccurate. Those are not unhealthy options.

And they will likely find another spot somewhere in the city.

Copley Place had a food court? Trying to remember this and I just can't do it. Anyone have a photo?

2005 was when the (awful) movie theater and small food court closed and the space became Barney's.

Back